Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

quick question about tau vehicles.
Old 28 May 2009, 22:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default quick question about tau vehicles.

Hey everyone, this is probably a dumb question but please excuse me. Last weekend at my local store, i ended up playing a fellow Tau player. Long story short, he tried telling me all tau vehicles can go "flat out" because they are skimmers, and there for are fast. (and im talking about devilfish, hammerheads, etc...) I told him that is wrong because in order to move flat out, you need to be a "Fast" vehicle. The only 1 we have, is the Pirahna correct?

Page 71 under Skimmers, last line says under moving - "A skimmer that is fast and is moving flat out can move up to 24" ". He read it as "all skimmers are fast"... which i pointed out as wrong, however he still disagreed.

One other thing, he tried argueing that if you move something at Cruising Speed, (no multi-tracker) you cant fire seeker missles. - Codex specifically says they can be used no matter what the distance moved, or if the vehicle is shaken/stunned, etc... unable to shoot.

Can you guys here please answer this one for me, and put this to rest? im 100% positive, the only "fast" vehicle we have is the darn pirannas, and seekers can be shot regardless of anything, but to no avail, and im tired of argueing with a brick wall who says im wrong no matter what i say. - thanks everyone.
skippy35671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 22:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: quick question about tau vehicles.

You're correct on both parts from my understanding.
I can honestly say that if ML's were changed to Assault 1 that there would be an entire sub-set of Tau players ruining the front of their pants while an entire group of opponents would be ruining the back of their pants.
Mister Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 22:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I second Mister Kay. You are definitely correct about the skimmers. All Eldar skimmers are Fast, but only Piranhas are Fast from the Tau army. A vehicle needs the Fast rule to move beyond cruising speed, regardless of whether it has Skimmer or not.

On the seeker missiles, it depends a bit on what unit is using the markerlight counter. The missile can detach from the vehicle regardless of its speed or ability to fire normal weapons, but something else has to use the markerlight counter and call for the seeker. The vehicle can't call the seeker strike itself if it Cruised without a multi-tracker, but as long as something else used the counter the missile can fire.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 23:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
I second Mister Kay. You are definitely correct about the skimmers. All Eldar skimmers are Fast, but only Piranhas are Fast from the Tau army. A vehicle needs the Fast rule to move beyond cruising speed, regardless of whether it has Skimmer or not.

On the seeker missiles, it depends a bit on what unit is using the markerlight counter. The missile can detach from the vehicle regardless of its speed or ability to fire normal weapons, but something else has to use the markerlight counter and call for the seeker. The vehicle can't call the seeker strike itself if it Cruised without a multi-tracker, but as long as something else used the counter the missile can fire.
Knight clarified the point for the seekers, but you're essentially right to begin with.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 01:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Also, a little off topic, but if a Tau vehicle gets a multi-tracker, it fires as if it were a fast vehicle, it doesn't turn it into a fast vehicle.
auxiliary priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 02:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

yes i understand that. it doesnt make it "fast" it just lets you shoot as - if you were.

thanks guys, im just going to point him in the direction of this next time i see him. now its about 5-6 people telling him its wrong, so we'll see!.

thanks again everyone!
skippy35671 is offline   Reply With Quote