Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hammerheads or Broadsides?
Old 27 May 2009, 16:31   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Hammerheads or Broadsides?

I am building a 1000 point army and I'm wondering if which I should get: 2 hammerheads, 3 broadsides, or 1 of each.
My army list that I'm going for is

Not sure of commander; possibly Farsight.

10 FWs with Devilfish
10 FWs possibly with Devilfish

6 Stealth Suits with 2 Markerdrones

Possibly 2 piranhas.

Any feedback would be nice, thanks.
philthechil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 17:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to MDRedeemer Send a message via MSN to MDRedeemer
Default Re: Hammerheads or Broadsides?

Well to kick it early, Farsight himself is only available in points of 1500 and up.

Also 3 railguns is typically overkill in 1000 point games, but I suppose it depends on what you play against on a regular basis.
Old 27 May 2009, 17:33   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I agree that 3 railguns are overkill. I when I play, I'll typically use a Hammerhead and a Broadside. That way I can throw more points into infantry and Fast Attack. However, 2 Hammerhead would work well because of the Hammerhead's survivability.
MCAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 21:33   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I would usually be playing against IG, SM, and Orks.
Ok, what other suggestions do you guys have? ???
Old 27 May 2009, 22:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

With those opponents, Hammerheads are the way to go. Single shot will take out IG tanks, while submunition will be good against IG infantry and Orks.
wesswll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 22:31   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesswll
With those opponents, Hammerheads are the way to go. Single shot will take out IG tanks, while submunition will be good against IG infantry and Orks.

Ok. So 1 or 2 Hammerheads?
Old 28 May 2009, 03:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would take two just because IG will aim everything they have at them the minute they see them on the board.
wesswll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 05:30   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i'd go with the hammerheads. i put together a broadside squad this weekend and fielded them today for the first time. they didn't do much as we played dawn of war and they had to walk on (lost a turn of shooting, grumble, grumble). after that, i was hesitant to move them as they would have lost a second turn of shooting (i take multitrackers for my support system) so i was forced to shoot at lower priority targets like nobs (instead of the vehicles). no such problems with my multitracker armed hammerheads. against those armies, the pie plate option really helps once you take out the enemy tanks.
Old 28 May 2009, 06:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would go with one railgun hammerhead and 2 broadsides with Targeting Arrays, and one being a team leader. The Broadside team leader can take a MultiTracker, Drone Controller (with 2 Shield Drones), and a Target lock. This way you can fire at 3 different targets if you need to.
Old 28 May 2009, 06:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You have to look at what each choice brings to the table (pun noticed, but not intended). The broadsides are the most effective non-melta tank killers in the game, and you get about twice as many railgun shots for your points, depending on wargear. If equipped with plasma rifles and multi-trackers, they also become one of the best counters to terminator-equivalent units (up to 9 twin-linked AP shots). The hammerhead is more mobile and better against other targets. This is mostly from the submunition option, since the horde-killing power of twin hammerhead burst cannons is similar to the horde-killing power of a pair of broadside smart missile systems.

Broadsides: better tank-killer, better TEQ-killer
Hammerheads: better mobility, better infantry-killer

Recently, I've been using hammerheads more than broadsides, but there is still a special place in my heart for the following broadside configuration. All suits get Advanced Stabilization System, and two of them take smart missiles. The third is upgraded to a team leader and takes plasma rifles, a hardwired multi-tracker, hardwired target lock, and two shield drones on a hardwired drone controller. The whole squad can move, and the target lock is very useful. You can fire 2 railguns at one target and 1 at another, or either group can do something else. The sidekicks can fire SMS at a soft target out of line of sight while the team-leader fires railguns and plasma rifles at something like a terminator or obliterator squad.

@CT,HD: That's why most players field broadsides with the stabilization system. Dawn of War deployment is really hard on Tau static units like broadsides, pathfinders, or sniper teams (if anybody still uses them). In some deployments and tables the plasma/multi-tracker version can do very well, but they are easy to outmaneuver. While I've never tried this with broadsides, a static broadside squad could be used as part of a lure for the Kauyon (patient hunter) tactic. I'm just getting the hang of it myself, but basically you show your opponent an important, sometimes static unit that is far too dangerous for them to ignore. Since you know they can't ignore it, you can plan your strategy around their attempts to kill it, and move the rest of your stuff in to slaughter everything that tries.

knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote