Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is Ninja Tau viable in this 1000 point tournament?
Old 27 May 2009, 15:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Is Ninja Tau viable in this 1000 point tournament?

1000 Points. 12 Contestants. No idea what to expect. I've played two games thus far, never with Ninja (I've never even deepstruck). I'm jumping in the deep end without my swimmies...

The rules (as I understood them):
1 HQ, 2 Troop Choices.
Only 1 HQ per army,
For each model type only one troop can exist. (This means only one troop of Crisis, HH and so on). For the Infantry you can have two squads of the same model type. So 2x Fire Warriors but not 3x.

My question to you is whether it is

a.) possible to field an effective Ninja Tau list at 1000 points which can take on pretty much any other 1000 point list that must adhere to the same rules.

b.) wise to field such a list as a beginner. I understand that you need to understand the game mechanics very well to properly use Ninja Tactics and I'm afraid I'm still too 'green'. Perhaps a MechTau (but with only one HH it could be difficult) or a Hybrid list would suit me better.

c.) Whether you have any advice to give...

I'm looking forward to your responses and I don't expect to win but I don't want to finish last either...

Here's the Ninja Tau List.

[hr]
I made an airplane out of stone,
I always did like staying home.
Shel Silverstein
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 23:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Is Ninja Tau viable in this 1000 point tournament?

Ninja Tau can be tricky to play even for an experienced player, but don't let that discourage you. Make sure to read the Ninja Tau tactica that's on this site if you haven't.

This list can play as Ninja, or it can play like a normal list.

Shas'el
Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Positional Relay, Hard Wired Multi-tracker, Targeting array

2x Crisis suit with twin-linked missile pods, flamer

8 Fire Warriors
Devilfish with Smart Missiles, targeting array, multi-tracker, disruption pods

7 Fire Warriors

17 Kroot

Hammerhead with Ion Cannon, burst cannons, disruption pods, multi-tracker

2 broadsides with advanced stabilization systems, team leader with 2 shield drones

It comes in at 1000 exactly if I added it right, and it's also fairly mechanized. You've got good anti-heavy tank, light tank, pretty good mobility, and decent anti-light infantry. You're a bit weak against Terminators and you're fairly fragile, but you've got a fighting chance against most lists.
Old 27 May 2009, 23:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Is Ninja Tau viable in this 1000 point tournament?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes
Ninja Tau can be tricky to play even for an experienced player, but don't let that discourage you. Make sure to read the Ninja Tau tactica that's on this site if you haven't.

This list can play as Ninja, or it can play like a normal list.

Shas'el
Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Positional Relay, Hard Wired Multi-tracker, Targeting array

2x Crisis suit with twin-linked missile pods, flamer

8 Fire Warriors

7 Fire Warriors

17 Kroot

Hammerhead with Ion Cannon, burst cannons, disruption pods, multi-tracker

2 broadsides with advanced stabilization systems, team leader with 2 shield drones

It comes in at 1000 exactly if I added it right, and it's also fairly mechanized. You've got good anti-heavy tank, light tank, pretty good mobility, and decent anti-light infantry. You're a bit weak against Terminators and you're fairly fragile, but you've got a fighting chance against most lists.
Thanks for the list. I like the heavies and the fact that it can be used as something besides a Ninja build. That said the two fishes are illegal... but since they come with the fire warriors they should count as infantry so perhaps it is legal. I would have to ask... As for the Kroot I want to play with some hounds, check my Current List and see if you can make it better.

[hr]
I made an airplane out of stone,
I always did like staying home.
Shel Silverstein
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote