Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau non-skimmer vehicles [RANT WARNING]
Old 26 May 2009, 14:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tau non-skimmer vehicles [RANT WARNING]

> Okay: I am a little annoyed that whenever someone posts about tau using a vehicle or they are going to make a vehicle for tau that isn't a skimmer but has treads or is a walker why does everyone shoot it down shouting "Tau don't use skimmers".

My first problem with people saying this is that somewhere along the tau evolutionary path they didn't go straight from absolutely no vehicles to skimmers in one go. At some point they probably used wheeled tracked or walker vehicles and so they know about this technology and if they need a system to transport something along the ground that a skimmer wouldn't do then they would use one of these instead of always resorting to Hire-A-Manta ltd..

Also this brings me to the tau sept world of D'yanoi which was cut of from the tau empire for many years and resorted to a more basic level of technology so it is more than likely their grav technology is not as advanced and so they probably might still use other forms.

I guess what i am really trying to get at is that next time someone comes up with an idea for a tau vehicle that isn't a skimmer don't dismiss it. also is anyone else getting annoyed at people thinking tau do not use anything other than skimmers.

[hr]
Sorry if i came across a bit rude but i am slightly anooyed and in no way am i attempting to start a flame war so bear that in mind.
Old 26 May 2009, 15:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tau non-skimmer vehicles [RANT WARNING]

I think problems arise when people try to do one of two things: Either creating a CC-walker (which isn't very Tau-like), or a Titan (which isn't Tau-like, either).

Wheeled, tracked and other ground vehicles are fine, even though they're probably not used often. If they manage to build their antigrav-engines into thousands of Drones (some of them serving mainly as a display in a cockpit), then they surely can build them into everything else.

Of course, on lower-tech worlds such as D'yanoi, tracke vehicles see probably more use than on, say, T'au. Also, climate may be a factor - on a world where bitter sandstorms are daily happenings, you don't want to use skimming vehicles, you want a good, sturdy tracked vehicle.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2009, 21:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Skimmer technology is probably more expensive than a good old diesel engine and eight hunks of round rubber. The massive network of support and non-frontline vehicles is unlikely to all be fitted with the fanciest technology. Inevitably the war front moves sometimes to quickly to get those vehicles out of the way and they end up in combat.
Ironclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2009, 21:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm not sure if tau use money but then there is a posibility they do.
It would make sense that less advanced septs would be low on anti-grav technology and so might use more traditional ground based veichles with wheels/ treads.
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2009, 22:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

Well tau most likely use tracked or wheeled vehicles, at least for farming, you need a plow of some kind and with antigrav tech I can see a trillion problems arising from using antigrav or hover technology, as well as the fact that tracked and non jet based systems will have more torque than a jet. Course they may not even be farming in this manner (large industrial type machines and no vehicles). At the very least you can say a tracked vehicle is more stable of a platform and can still go places most skimmers can and probably places skimmers can't. The Primary disadvantage of all wheeled or tracked vehicles is the one thing they have over skimmers, and that's friction with the ground. Which can be good (providing friction for when you don't want to be moved by something) or bad (prevents you from moving fast). So with their style of warfare I'd say it's unlikely that they use tracked vehicles but not impossible. especially for backwater worlds or for ultra long range artillery (pictures a chimera with a manta's heavy railgun) for sniping and relocating, or just for spotting. (still not a very Tauish thing but possible given the broadside, which is basically a walker really)
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2009, 23:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sorck
I'm not sure if tau use money but then there is a posibility they do.
It would make sense that less advanced septs would be low on anti-grav technology and so might use more traditional ground based veichles with wheels/ treads.
Whether they have a monetary system or not, there is certain to be a difference in the quality and quantities of resources consumed between tracked and hover vehicles, the latter likely being at least somewhat more of a resource hog, and thus not necessary unless required to save lives (i.e. standard tau military strategies and tactics).
Old 27 May 2009, 02:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Here's my take on the issue at hand. While logically a lot of your opinions make sense there is something to be said for style. You have to take into account that a lot of people choose their armies as much for their play style as they do for the sake of pure style. I for one don't like the idea of Tau getting non skimmer vehicles because if I wanted non-skimmers I would have chosen ANY of the other factions in 40k that dont have skimmers. I like the Tau because of their skimmers and their battlesuits and it's part of what makes them unique.

Now I certainly dont mind the idea of the Tau getting some type of walker. That would be kind of awesome actually. I'd imagine the Tau using them in areas that are too dense for skimmers to operate in efficiently kind of similarly to the way that the Imperial guard use Sentinels. Similarly, I imagine that the Tau have the foresight to employ kroot in areas that are too dense for their skimmers and battlesuits to get into.

In any case, while the practicality of the issue is certainly something to consider, let's face it, 40k is hardly a gaming universe grounded in reality. Overly stylized, impractical, and flat out inexplicable technology is EVERYWHERE in 40k. The idea of the Tau having skimmers as their primary mode of transportation, completely replacing all others, is not too unreasonable. That's the way I like it and a lot of other Tau players agree.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 06:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

While the Tau likely posses the ability to have non-skimmer vehicles, it is likely that Tau society in general view them as being from a less "productive" time and hence regulate such vehicles to rolls such as farming (mentioned above). Also, unlike Eldar anti-grav skimmers, I believe that Tau skimmers run on a more advanced version of grav tech that actually manipulates the gravity feild around the skimmer. This would also apply to their drones, space-ships and other contraptions that use anti-grav lift/propulsion. That being said this would make for a much more stable, manuverable and reliable platform then a standard wheeled, treded, etc. based platform. Not to mention that everything used, standard, in the Tau military is already easily massed produced and hence probably estimated as the most efficient/cheapest way of doing things. This would mean that even less-technological worlds would strive to use skimmers over other forms of convaince, while applicable of course. Anyway based on the sensor do-higy that lets Tau skimmers move through terrain like normal, it is unlikely that a Tau skimmer vehicle couldn't go where a non-skimmer could. (with the exception of specific planets with weird fields of some sort, assuming the grav-tech can't simply manipulate such fields)

If we are to see non-skimmer vehicles appear on the battlefield I personally would like to see non-tau ones. Give me a Demiurg tank or a Gue'vesa subteranian drill-pod or a Vespid walker; the Tau using a walker makes sense to me but non-skimmer vehilces, besides possiblly a bike/jet-bike thing, doesn't. Could they do it, yes; would they do it, probably not.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 11:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

Not really, a more stable platform is going to be one that's planted to the ground. The real question is: Do the tau really need a stable platform for anything when they're the masters of mobile warfare?
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 11:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

My main point is non skimmers on the battlefield especially superheavies as they are hard to have a skimmer for without looking wierd and also it is unlikely tau would use skimmer technology for that scale of war engine as the firing of guns on it would probably send it flying back along the anti grav ield.

I also like the idea of a small tau recon walker based on a senital type design.