Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Forge World Models - Suggestions
Old 26 May 2009, 06:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Forge World Models - Suggestions

Hi guys,

Long time, no speak.

Anyway, I'd like to get your opinions, and, if it is possible, a review on some of the following Forge World models - I'm going to buy only one of the following "packages":
  • Tiger Shark AX-1-0
  • XV84 Crisis Battlesuit + XV88-2 Broadside Battlesuit + XV89 Crisis Battlesuit
  • XV84/89 Crisis Battlesuit + XV88-2 Broadside Battlesuit + 3 Knarloc Riders (one package of Knarlocs, not three)
  • XV84/89 Crisis Battlesuit + XV88-2 Broadside Battlesuit + 1 Great Knarlocs with bolters
  • XV84/89 Crisis Battlesuit + XV88-2 Broadside Battlesuit + 2 Great Knarlocs with bolters

Note that I will only buy one XV8 variant if I buy any knarlocs.

OK, here's the setting:

I don't play often, but I like modelling as a hobby, although I haven't been in it for a while. I have a 1700-point army (thereabouts) and refuse to play Apocalypse. I like the idea of Flyers, but won't rely on them. I have a limited budget - the Tiger Shark AX-1-0 will be pushing it to the max. I don't know how people will react to me having Forge World models when I do play (particularly the Super-Heavy Flyer).

Please also note that I don't want any other suggestions of "you should get this instead". No. I don't want that. I want only one of the above. If you do suggest something else, you deserve to be dreadsocked, because I've just said I don't want it, and won't heed your suggestion. Sorry if that seems a little rude, but it is the truth - I don't like it when people tell me those kind of things.

Thanks,

rider_eragon

I will always accept constructive criticism, even if I don't like it
rider_eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2009, 06:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild
Default Re: Forge World Models - Suggestions

I actually have the XV-89 and 3 XV-88-2s. The 89 was quite enjoyable to build, but the 88s will require some work, especially if you don't have the feed for the Rail to the backpack lined up. It's also much harder when the extra arm that stabilizes and helps holds the gun up is being put in as well. Once it's done though, it looks great.
Old 26 May 2009, 06:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks; whoa that's a lot of XV88-2s - do you use them as team leaders or as an entire squad?

If you don't mind, would you be able to answer these questions, as I'm a little skeptical about the XV89 and confused about the XV88-2:

- Compared to a regular XV8, how does the XV89 differ, besides the legs, the head and the 'blocks' on the arms?

- What feed are you referring to about the XV88-2? Are they connectors in image four at the FW website? (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/xv88-2.htm)

And just so you know, I love challenges, so a little bit of difficult modelling will make it all the more fun .

Thanks .

Old 26 May 2009, 06:48   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

The AX-1-0 is very good in the game itself. But if you don't play Apocalypse it won't see much use. People are unlikely to accept flyers in a normal game, particularly those as powerful as the AX-1-0. The battlesuits offer no significant in-game advantage but they do look great. The Great Knarlocs are good only if you are running a Kroot-heavy list, as otherwise they can look a little out-of-place.

If it were me, I would go with:

XV84 Crisis Battlesuit + XV88-2 Broadside Battlesuit + 3 Knarloc Riders (one package of Knarlocs, not three)

Although I might consider buying the XV89 instead of the XV84. The XV84 (and XV81) is a little tougher to use in the game itself, because it can still only fire two of its three weapons every turn. The XV89 looks good but doesn't require any special rules to use.

I think you will also have more fun painting the Knarloc Riders than you will just three battlesuits. But if you really want to use all this stuff but you don't want to play Apocalypse, I think your best bet would be:

XV84 Crisis Battlesuit + XV88-2 Broadside Battlesuit + XV89 Crisis Battlesuit
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2009, 06:55   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to loonitick

I think I would go for: "XV84 Crisis Battlesuit + XV88-2 Broadside Battlesuit + XV89 Crisis Battlesuit"

broadsides are death to tanks, and the 88-2s look SOO much better than the normal ones. have 6 of them myself, and they can be a real pain to get together... and the other battlesuits are nice to.

If you wont be playing apocalypse, it wouldn't help much having the tigershark, even if it is really cool.
loonitick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2009, 06:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
The AX-1-0 is very good in the game itself. But if you don't play Apocalypse it won't see much use. People are unlikely to accept flyers in a normal game, particularly those as powerful as the AX-1-0. The battlesuits offer no significant in-game advantage but they do look great. The Great Knarlocs are good only if you are running a Kroot-heavy list, as otherwise they can look a little out-of-place.

If it were me, I would go with:

XV84 Crisis Battlesuit + XV88-2 Broadside Battlesuit + 3 Knarloc Riders (one package of Knarlocs, not three)

Although I might consider buying the XV89 instead of the XV84. The XV84 (and XV81) is a little tougher to use in the game itself, because it can still only fire two of its three weapons every turn. The XV89 looks good but doesn't require any special rules to use.

I think you will also have more fun painting the Knarloc Riders than you will just three battlesuits. But if you really want to use all this stuff but you don't want to play Apocalypse, I think your best bet would be:

XV84 Crisis Battlesuit + XV88-2 Broadside Battlesuit + XV89 Crisis Battlesuit
I vote for the same package (XV84 Crisis Battlesuit + XV88-2 Broadside Battlesuit + 3 Knarloc Riders), since Knarlocs should be entertaining to paint. I am thinking about them myself.

Khanaris, the XV-84 does not need to take 2 single weapons, you could for instance give it Twin-Linked Missile Pods and a Targetting Array, creating a BS4 Markerlight source and a deadly source of double missile salvos with a re-roll to hit, while being able to fire both each turn.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2009, 07:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

That's a fair chunk of interesting and useful stuff you've just written up, Khanaris - thanks . I'll work backwards with your review:

I am aware that the battlesuits do little, but they look awesome - as you said - and the XV88-2 has a double whammy, serving as a team leader as well as looking awesome.

The XV84 v.s. XV89 is actually quite an interesting story. When I first learned of FW, I was going to buy an XV89 and XV88-2, but decided against it because I wanted to let my army grow a little more before I bought some resin models. Then the other day, I excommunicated the XV89 because it looked very similar to the XV8 from the angles I saw it from. Maybe I'll need to reconsider, but I forgot to add the XV89 to two of my options - so I'll do it now (thanks ).

On to the Knarlocs, I don't really want these for gaming (not the Great Knarloc anyway - I use 2 - 3 HH and 0 - 1 Broadside team). They're more to make my display more intimidating.

As for the Tiger Shark, that was my greatest fear, and what led me to come here asking for advice. The only reason that I'm considering it is because I love aircraft and aviation so much and the Tiger Shark is the only worthwhile and good looking aircraft model (IMO).

Old 26 May 2009, 08:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

rider_eragon, if you like the FW models of Crisis Suits, I would recommend XV-81 instead of XV-89. Unlike XV-89, the XV-81 looks very different from the regular Crisis. I am about to paint one myself and I look forward to it very much.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2009, 08:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Unfortunately, I dislike the look of the XV81, and I'm not fond of giving a Smart Missile System to a crisis suit for gameplay reasons, mainly because it impairs his twin-linked missile pod and fusion blaster/burst cannon stratagem (I've never lost a Shas'o crisis suit with this configuration before). But thanks for the suggestion anyway .

Old 26 May 2009, 13:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to halohog

About the '81:

In the games in which I've proxied it, using an AFP and a Burst Cannon (can't have targetting array - IA3 specifies weapons only on that front) it does masses of damage to unfortunate hordes; it obliterated a squad of 'nid gaunts, and several nearby genestealers also bit the dust.

I have to admit, the model doesn't look great, but the SMS is a suprisingly potent weapon. Relentless allows it to fire on the move, and it can do so from behind absolutely anything.

It's a very good anti horde suit, but the setup you seem to be suggesting suggests heavier concentrations of harder targets.

Back to the topic at hand: I personally think that the current popular suggestion is one I would go with ('84, '88-2, 3x Knarloc riders). As awesome as greater knarlocs are, they're also probably more cumbersome to carry round / paint, although I don't know muc about expenses.