Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Quick Question About Sky-Rays and Seeker Missiles
Old 25 May 2009, 03:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Quick Question About Sky-Rays and Seeker Missiles

1. I recently found out that the Sky-Ray box comes with the parts to make a Hammerhead or a Devilfish. I was wondering if the Sky-Ray model is similar enough to the Hammerhead that I could simply use a magnet or two to make it so I could quickly make my Sky-Ray a Hammerhead and vice-versa.

2. I also heard a while back that Seeker Missiles are single shot weapons. Is that true? If so, could I get a quote from the codex or can anyone tell me where that is stated?
Semaj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2009, 03:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Quick Question About Sky-Rays and Seeker Missiles

1. You actually do not even need a magnet, since both tanks use a different turret. Just do not glue it and you can swap is as needed.

2. Yes, they are single shot weapons in case of Sky Ray, and they are kind of single shot "wargear" in case of any other vehicle (and as wargear they can not be affected by Weapon Destroyed). Just read the entry for Seekers in the Armoury.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2009, 03:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The models are exactly the same except for the turret. You can make it interchangeable from Devilfish, Hammerhead, or Sky Ray just by changing the turret. The Seekers rely on and can only be fired with a Marker Light hit, one missle per marker light. Conceivably you can get two hits with the Rays markers and with pathfinders or marker drones fire all six seekers in one turn.

I should change my name to Number 1. Not because I'm conceited but because thats what I always roll at inopportune moments.

Link to my Terrain Table Article http://tauonline.org/?content=browse...ry&article=619
AndyinUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 22:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyinUT
The models are exactly the same except for the turret. You can make it interchangeable from Devilfish, Hammerhead, or Sky Ray just by changing the turret. The Seekers rely on and can only be fired with a Marker Light hit, one missle per marker light. Conceivably you can get two hits with the Rays markers and with pathfinders or marker drones fire all six seekers in one turn.
But would you be able to fire any more seekers for the rest of the game. I want to be sure of this. 2-4 S8 AP3 missiles going out in a turn is a big difference compared to 2-3 going out nearly every turn.
Old 27 May 2009, 23:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyinUT
The nose turret is also different.
I can honestly say that if ML's were changed to Assault 1 that there would be an entire sub-set of Tau players ruining the front of their pants while an entire group of opponents would be ruining the back of their pants.
Mister Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 23:06   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Midship Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semaj7
But would you be able to fire any more seekers for the rest of the game. I want to be sure of this. 2-4 S8 AP3 missiles going out in a turn is a big difference compared to 2-3 going out nearly every turn.
unfortunately, like regularly purchased seeker missiles, the 6 that come with a skyray are all one time use, meaning that after launching the six on the model the only weapons a sky ray has left are its markerlights and its SMS
Midship Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 03:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Where does it say in the codex that it is a single shot weapon? I am not trying to be a nit-pick, but I hate it when I play a game and there is an "arguement" over something happening on the field. I don't mean to be a rule lawyer, but I want to stay on point at all times with my rules when playing.

I currently do not see in the codex where it says it's a one shot per game weapon/wargear device. If someone could provice a quote and/or the page it's on, it would be much appreciated.
Old 28 May 2009, 04:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Where does it say in the codex that it is a single shot weapon? I am not trying to be a nit-pick, but I hate it when I play a game and there is an "arguement" over something happening on the field. I don't mean to be a rule lawyer, but I want to stay on point at all times with my rules when playing.

I currently do not see in the codex where it says it's a one shot per game weapon/wargear device. If someone could provice a quote and/or the page it's on, it would be much appreciated.
Read the entry for Seeker Missiles in the Vehicle Armoury. On page 31 of the Codex it says "each is a single shot weapon".

I hope this hepls.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 04:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:

Page 31 in the Seeker Missles wargear entry:

It is a single shot weapon.

If you look to the Tau Summary on page 48 of the codex you'll notice the entry for Seeker Missles says See Armoury.

It details explicitly that the Sky Ray has 6 Seeker Missles, which would be unnecessary if it could fire a bajillion times.

Hope this help.

WATCHDOG YOU NINJA
I can honestly say that if ML's were changed to Assault 1 that there would be an entire sub-set of Tau players ruining the front of their pants while an entire group of opponents would be ruining the back of their pants.
Mister Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 03:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

now i may have missed this, but someone wrote that seeker missles are in fact a vehicle upgrade, which is true, we pay points to have missles. so...

if skyray gets "weapon destroyed".... what happens? lose the burst cannons/smart missle system? does the main seeker missle turret go down?
skippy35671 is offline   Reply With Quote