Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hammerhead Options
Old 24 May 2009, 07:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Hammerhead Options

I'm beginning construction on a new Hammerhead. I already have one Hammerhead with a railgun and a smart missile system. I am considering, for this second tank, using the ion cannon and the burst cannons. My thinking is this, with the two options I can mix and match the parts to customize a tank to my needs against a specific opponent, but of course the down side is that I cannot have two rail-guns on the field if I ever need lots of tank killing or anti-light infantry fire (at least without buying extra bits I can't).
Any thoughts?
archer_bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2009, 08:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Hammerhead Options

It makes sense. I don't think there is any downside in not having two railguns, especially if you have a couple of Broadsides as well.

Also I'm of the opinion that one's army should always have the ability to adapt. I mean you can build for an enemy army, but an ion cannon is useful after you have killed all the enemy tanks. I can't say i have used a hammerhead that much though, so i'm not sure whether to go with the burst cannons or SMS, but the BC have greater number of shots for a similar S & AP.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2009, 08:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Just don't glue the parts down. That way, you can change it for each game, at least until you get the hang of what configurations you like. Also, there are articles around showing how to magnetize the "chin" burst cannon so a single model can be devilfish as well as hammerhead or skyray.

My tau vehicles are almost down to three configurations total. Configuration 1 is devilfish with smart missiles, multi-trackers, disruption pods, and targeting arrays; and I usually have three of these on the field. Config 2 is a hammerhead with railgun, burst cannons, multi-tracker, disruption pod, and target lock (targeting array is free). Config 3 is a skyray with smart missiles, multi-tracker, disruption pod, targeting array, and blacksun filter (target lock is free). Even though I've been running those same configurations for a few months (and the devilfish configuration for almost two years!), nothing is glued down so I can swap pieces as needed.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2009, 10:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've thought about the magnet thing for the chin. It's not a bad idea, though I already have a devilfish. I suppose one could always use a second one. The problem I run into with not gluing the gun on the turret is that the rail gun tips over which looks a bit lame on the battlefield. I was thinking of buying a second turret so I could swap it out as a whole.
Old 24 May 2009, 11:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin Archer
I've thought about the magnet thing for the chin. It's not a bad idea, though I already have a devilfish. I suppose one could always use a second one. The problem I run into with not gluing the gun on the turret is that the rail gun tips over which looks a bit lame on the battlefield. I was thinking of buying a second turret so I could swap it out as a whole.
My low-tech solution is simply to keep the gun in place with Blu-Tack.

Talking about Hammerhead - has anyone ever tried to pretty up the Ionhead? The thing is, Ion Cannon is fugly. Any ideas how to customize it to something better looking? I thought about removing the stupid 'horns' but it doesn't change the fact that the gun still looks like it was assembled from Legos.

Backfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2009, 14:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backfire
Quote:

Talking about Hammerhead - has anyone ever tried to pretty up the Ionhead? The thing is, Ion Cannon is fugly. Any ideas how to customize it to something better looking? I thought about removing the stupid 'horns' but it doesn't change the fact that the gun still looks like it was assembled from Legos.
Amen to that.....I'm going to be working on that very problem here soon.

I should change my name to Number 1. Not because I'm conceited but because thats what I always roll at inopportune moments.

Link to my Terrain Table Article http://tauonline.org/?content=browse...ry&article=619
AndyinUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2009, 15:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backfire

Well, that is an insanely simple solution. Sometimes I get so into the technical aspects of how to get something done that I forget that there are simple ways to do it.

"So, what you're saying is that you need someone dumber . . . You may have come to the right place." -Col. Jack O'Neil
Old 24 May 2009, 16:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
"So, what you're saying is that you need someone dumber . . . You may have come to the right place." -Col. Jack O'Neil
Sigg'd

I also use the blu-tac solution do to me being too lazy to magnetize anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Things I miss: Sane Anubis.
Quote:
DemiGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2009, 20:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

My solution to the hammerhead railgun balance issue was to glue (might actually be double-sticky taped) a 1 oz lead weight to the underside of the back. This was after several failed attempts to fill the inside with lead shot or fishing weights. The external weight works very well, and the size is just right for it to look like another cooling fin. Pictures available on request.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2009, 22:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

I personally hate taking the Railgun on a Hammerhead. I much prefer the Ion cannon. Just finished a series of tournament games today and the Ion cannon did infinitely better than the Railgun (Had two Hammerheads, one with Ion/Burst, the other with Rail/Smart). Not to mention six shots from the Burst cannons are a rather nice touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote