Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

Jet pack move.
Reply
Old 21 May 2009, 22:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gatineau (Québec) Canada
Posts: 6,212
Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Jet pack move.

I was asked this interesting question in pm:

Quote:
I had a disagreement with a tau player, being a tau player myself I believed that Gun drones are passengers on vehicles and are treated as such, my question is can a Drone, leaving a vehicle that moved 12" do its assault move(Move 6")? When there is a clear rule that passenger may only assault if the vehicle is open topped or did not move in its movement phase. I have seen that you are adept at these kind of rules, that why I asked you. Thanks for the input!
My view was this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
Interesting question indeed since you have 2 conflicting Rules.

Gun Drones does act as a passenger on the Devilfish and are pretty much subject to the Passenger rules indeed. However Jet pack does state that they can always do a special move in their assault phase in any direction (nullified by Deepstrike though).

I can see his interpretation of being allowed to move -but not assault with- the drones after disengaging from the 'fish based on the Jet pack rules. And I can see your interpretation of it not being allowed based on the passenger rules.

Personally, I would be incline to agree with you.
What is your take on this?? And explain why.
__________________
For the Greater Good!
For Ksi'm'yen and the 76th Moracre Light Armoured Guard

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 22:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,876
Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu
Default Re: Jet pack move.

I do not see the drones as "passengers" as such, but as well, drones. As the Devilfish has no fire points, then surely a passenger would not be able to shoot whilst onboard, correct?
So I say that they count as not having been moved when they disembark, its not like they have to slow down so they can disembark, they don't have to touch the ground afterall.

- LordZanuu
__________________
Tau: W-44 L-7 T-7
Eldar: W-21 L-6 T-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 23:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Somewhereshire
Posts: 6,214
Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: Jet pack move.

I personally don't use vehicle drones (aside from Piranha) so this never comes up.

However, I'd go with a common sense answer in that you can move in the assault phase, due to having a jetpack, but you cannot use that move in to assault anything.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
"Drop the shovel, and stand back from the keyboard!"


We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 00:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 235
Default Re: Jet pack move.

They are passengers, so if they move off the vehicle after it's moved, they can't use da assault move!

"Wu-Tang-Tau's words are words of GOD!"
__________________
Wu-tang clan ain't nothang ta #$@% wid!!!!
Wu-Tang-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 00:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gatineau (Québec) Canada
Posts: 6,212
Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Jet pack move.

Jet pack rules state that they can always make their special move in the assault phase.

Kind trump your argument Wu-tang.
__________________
For the Greater Good!
For Ksi'm'yen and the 76th Moracre Light Armoured Guard

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 00:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 235
Default Re: Jet pack move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
Jet pack rules state that they can always make their special move in the assault phase.

Kind trump your argument Wu-tang.
erm no... if crisis suits deepstrike they cannot use the assault move. Hence gun drones are in the same situation when they move off a vehicle.

"Wu-Tang-Tau = always right!"
__________________
Wu-tang clan ain't nothang ta #$@% wid!!!!
Wu-Tang-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 00:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gatineau (Québec) Canada
Posts: 6,212
Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Jet pack move.

That's a weak counter argument.

Yes deepstiking prevent the use of the special movement...that is explicitely stated in the codex. I even put this in my original reply.

However moving vehicule is not the same a deepstriking. Therefore the core rule for Jet pack infantry should still apply thus it could take his special move. I do agree with RZ that assault should not be allowed though.
__________________
For the Greater Good!
For Ksi'm'yen and the 76th Moracre Light Armoured Guard

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 00:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 674
Send a message via AIM to Wild
Default Re: Jet pack move.

Your interpretation is incorrect. The only situation that's stated they cannot do their assualt move is in fact upon Deep Striking. Seeing as how disembarking is not stated as one of the situations they cannot move during the Assault phase in either Rulebook or Codex, with the Rulebook actually saying they can ALWAYS move in the assault phase, the Codex trumps.

Damnit Ninja'd!
__________________
Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 01:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,815
Default Re: Jet pack move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wu-Tang-Tau
They are passengers, so if they move off the vehicle after it's moved, they can't use da assault move!

"Wu-Tang-Tau's words are words of GOD!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wu-Tang-Tau
erm no... if crisis suits deepstrike they cannot use the assault move. Hence gun drones are in the same situation when they move off a vehicle.

"Wu-Tang-Tau = always right!"
Your not going to get much respect by being arrogant.

[hr]

The rules say the cannot assault rather than "they cannot conduct the assault phase".

So technically Drones can get up to a 18" move off of a devilfish, subject to the disembarking rules.

Dangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 01:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 153
Default Re: Jet pack move.

this kinda came up once at my local store, i had a question... can a crisis suit move normal, RUN, then assault move another 6? Some said NO cuz they dont have FLEET. HOWEVER! i think they can because you are not "assaulting", your just moving. its 2 completely different things in my point of view.

and the drones hopping off the vehicles, well... same thing i suppose? if the drones moved 12 with the devilfish, disembarked, they could then shoot as normal yes? Cant firewarriors do that? then in the assault phase, yes you cant assault (get into CC) but assault MOVE, i think you can.

any ideas?
skippy35671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tau Skim Pack Wash_Out Showcase 14 28 Aug 2009 08:11
Jet pack question Grorx Tau 16 05 Mar 2009 16:21
Jet Pack Tau? Sting2 Tau 9 05 Jul 2008 13:25
DoW map pack problems Gearhead Other Games 3 31 Jan 2007 18:53
Move 'ere, move 'ere, MAKE UP YOUR MIND. Vega62a Tau 2 09 Dec 2005 01:40