Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Experience vs guard mechanised
Old 18 May 2009, 21:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Experience vs guard mechanised

Anyone had the fortune/misfortune of facing guard mechanised list yet?

Personally I must say it's hard work! The opponent I've faced is a rather noobish guy hence I've won in the end. But my casualties are extremely high! I've started out with 4 devilfish, 2 hammerhead and 1 skyray. But the end of 5th turn I've got no devilfish, 1 hammerhead with no railgun and one skyray with no burst cannon...

I have to say, next time I face guard, I will definetly shoot his psyker battle squad chimera first! That thing cost me big time making my elite units run every turn!

Anyway, please give me your experiences

*Sorry mod, I saw there is a thread about guards already, but I suppose this is more specifically about fighting their mechanised list. But still kinda of a duplication I guess... feel free to delete this thread if you want*
Old 19 May 2009, 08:57   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Kendo
Default Re: Experience vs guard mechanised

I have faced a guard me-ch list it was nasty and i was totally unprepared it include liked 6 leman Russ 1 hellhound 2 chims and a valk he hardly had any troops just the bare minimum.

b4 the game i asked what have u got in your list hoping i could make a list to suit the occasion but no he says make a balanced list > and then when i have made he whips out that lot, hellounds decimated my troops his flyer with 3 twinlinked lascanons took out my railhead but my broadsides did take out all of his silly Leman russ in like 2 turns with some extrem rolling on my half, but then he was saying he was going to loose, but in the end his vets ended up taking all my points and killing my broadsides with there flashlights.
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 17:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

Valkyries are expensive and only have dreadnought armour, pop em with missile pods, plasma, whatever. Prime target for deathrain suits.

If they're taking that many tanks, they're destroyable on immobilized (when there's more than 1 in a squadron).

Really, just use target priority. Leman Russes aren't as dangerous if you're mechanized (still very dangerous, but not quite as bad). 6 Leman Russes means there's at least 2 squadrons (most likely 3, however), so whoop-de-doo. Throw railguns at em like normal. If you even manage to stun a squadron, move on to the next one. Hellhound and valkyries have 12-12-10 while chimeras have 12-10-10. Yeah, they're harder to pop than rhinos from the front, but the same basic tactics are there. If they're only taking minimum troops anyways, pop the valkyries, hellhounds, and then the chimeras. Depending on your list, of course, I'm just suggesting in general.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2009, 01:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Good team to pull onto mech list like that is a 2 men twin fusion suit team with TL for team leader. It's useful cause mass leman russ users tend to bunch them up close. deepstriking drones behind those russes always works wonders
Old 20 May 2009, 09:53   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to loonitick

Let's not forget that Russes as a squadron have the special rules given to them by squadrons, so railguns/fusion blasters will destroy them on a 3+ if they penetrate.
loonitick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2009, 23:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

^almost forgot about dat!!! I guess this may force people to still only bring 3 single heavy support choices!
Old 21 May 2009, 07:18   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I laughed when i realized that, i had looked up the rules for squadrons for piranhas recently and hated it.

If you believe your opponet will be squading up his tanks i suggest you read the rules on squadrons, there are a lot of odd things in them. Some good, some bad.
FADE is offline   Reply With Quote