Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

future tau armor
Old 16 May 2009, 19:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default future tau armor

so- i was looking around on deviant art and I was looking at some drawings people had done, and then i saw cmd. bonesaw's art of those pathfinders- and it got me thinking.

With crisis armor improving all the time, what about line warriors?

Currently we know that it's nano-crystalin, that it has internal shock absorbers, it can survive in a variety of atmospheres (including vacuum). It has a power supply- don't know what for. It probably has night vision, it has internal communication and command units can tap into their visuals. It also has navigation and a kind of targeting assistance- probably a rudimentary AI.

How could we improve the design?

From a fluff perspective- but we could toy around with actual in game rules.

Active camo i'm thinking is where it could go, not a full stealth field- but smaller cameras that help the Shas to blend in.

Camera snake- inset into the wrist guard, this could allow warriors to see around corners.

Drone pod- additional drone controller on the opposite shoulder pad, the smaller one: I see drones becoming even more important in the next phase of development, not a gun drone- but a service drone, like the DX tech drone.

Old 16 May 2009, 19:23   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: future tau armor

Indeed drones should be taken farther, we do not have anywhere near the limitless manpower of some of the larger races.

I propose commissioning teams of earth caste scientists to further research the potential drones could have for backing up ground troops.

Drones armed with seeker missiles, smart missile systems, and assault drones should be a heavy priority and since another thread has already begun discussing medic drones this commander would point out that he has often thought mobile battle-suit and vehicle maintenance drones would be of great use on the front.

I propose capturing a space marine drop-pod to examine the concept and then creating a similar device that could work as a completely drone controlled fire base and as a means of sending in fresh ammunition to our troops planet-side without needing to put more of our actual fleet in harms way.
So_Catholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 20:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

V.A.T.S.

It might actually get my FW's hitting with something. :P

In reality, medical nano-machine packets or administered medicines/first-aid. Different visions (X-Ray, Thermal, IR, etc.). We could even go with the Boba Fett/storm trooper ripoffs and get a ton of little gadgets like small ration packs, explosives, grappling hooks/climbing spikes, and other things like that.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 21:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

cool.

so catholic- real quick, we already have drop pods (se'hen'ka pods) they are individually deliverable drop pods.

little gadgets is what i think really makes the suit- but practical.

Lets think about what firewarriors are...

They are hard hitting strike forces that work exclusively out of a muster point- either a devil fish or a Manta. They don't typically stay in the field unsupported.

So as conflicts become broader and soldiers need to be more dependant on themselves- so too does their equipment package.

-micro food backs (actually some kind of gel probably)
-water filtration, probably accumulator options or recycled bodily fluids
-multi-tool

oo- helmet flashlight, maybe wrist mounted one's too- but maybe not if they've got a night vision option already- thoughts?

-combat knife, they already have this so nvrm.

-maybe some kind of one shot grenade for the rifle
Old 17 May 2009, 05:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The idea of Fire Warriors and Pathfinders each getting a single Drone Controller would be cool, so long as the drones were armed with similar weapons as their attending model, AND they had a bodyguard rule for them. It would be one way to match up the firepower that the new IG codex allows for, and the Sisters can match in a single Troops choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
Charistoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2009, 06:17   #6 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmsword
cool.

so catholic- real quick, we already have drop pods (se'hen'ka pods) they are individually deliverable drop pods.

little gadgets is what i think really makes the suit- but practical.

Lets think about what firewarriors are...

They are hard hitting strike forces that work exclusively out of a muster point- either a devil fish or a Manta. They don't typically stay in the field unsupported.

So as conflicts become broader and soldiers need to be more dependant on themselves- so too does their equipment package.

-micro food backs (actually some kind of gel probably)
-water filtration, probably accumulator options or recycled bodily fluids
-multi-tool

oo- helmet flashlight, maybe wrist mounted one's too- but maybe not if they've got a night vision option already- thoughts?

-combat knife, they already have this so nvrm.

-maybe some kind of one shot grenade for the rifle
They don't have a Combat Knife, they have a Bonding Knife, and since it's ritualistically used in the Ta'lissera, i doubt they would be willing to get it covered in Gue'la blood (unless they actually do have combat knives, in which case i am a fool)

Also, the Pulse Carbine has an underslung Photon Grenade Launcher, although i have no clue what that really does, i haven't been able to find much elaboration in the Codex, only a brief mention
Old 17 May 2009, 06:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to jhontauel Send a message via MSN to jhontauel Send a message via Yahoo to jhontauel

The underslung grenade launcher is what gives the carbine the pinning effect, otherwise the weapon is would give us points back for being so inferior. (laughing to self: earning back 5 points foor every carbine armed firewarrior) Carbine is ok but not nearly as useful as when it was designed.

Playing 40k since 2002
jhontauel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2009, 06:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

PNW- hey, your new right? The Tau are all armed with combat knives. Bonding Knives aren't used in combat, yes, but their combat knives are- that and it's a necessary tool for any soldier in any army.

The Pulse Carbine fires a photon grenade which stuns the enemy- i was thinking of a scaled down version for the rifle- however, thinking about it maybe they should get a new gun altogether.

Jhontauel- truth.
Old 17 May 2009, 06:56   #9 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

I assumed the Carbine pinned because it was small and made a cool pchu-pchu noise in my head, also, none of my little dudes has any knives and Tau doctrine despises close combat, so i assumed they didn't have any
Old 17 May 2009, 07:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
I assumed the Carbine pinned because it was small and made a cool pchu-pchu noise in my head, also, none of my little dudes has any knives and Tau doctrine despises close combat, so i assumed they didn't have any
They might despise it, but they aren't stupid enough to think it never happens.

I always imagined "fwoomp" sounds for my pulse weapons. Sorta like lobbing mortars, that heavy sound which made me smile each time I unleashed six shots from my Hammerhead. :funny: ;D

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote