Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau vs. Eldar - Strategy Help
Old 16 May 2009, 07:16   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tau vs. Eldar - Strategy Help

Hey all!

I got a game coming up at my store on monday where a player challenged me to bring all I got to the table.

He is bringing to the table his eldar, which includes 2 Titans - Total points around 6500

I am bringing my tau - Total points around 7500
Here is a better Idea of what I got:
5 Sky Ray - Can be made into Hammerheads
6 Hammerheads - Can be either Rail or Ion
4 Pathfinder Teams (3/team with Rail Rifles and fully loaded Devilfish)
6 Piranha
4 Stealth Suit Teams
1 Broadside Team
1 Sniper Drone Team
1 Commander Shadowsun
1 Crisis HQ and 2 Bodyguard
2 Crisis Suit Teams
2 Kroot Squads with Shapers, Hounds and Krootox
2 Human Auxillary Squads
6 Fire Warrior Squads (Mostly with Rifles) - 2 Have Devilfish
4 Gun Drone Squads
1 Ethereal

All my vehicles have 2 seeker missles, Flechette Dischargers, Disruption Pods, and various other upgrades.
If a unit could have a marker light, it has one. All ground troops have EMP grenades.
Also, whenever possible, smart missile systems are used.

the game will most likely take place on 4 tables pushed together - each being 3'x6' - for a total table size of 6'x12'. Terrain types are not currently known as I have shelves of them to choose from at my store.

Any tactics or strategies you would all like to recommend to use against his eldar forces and titans?
GamesEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 08:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tau vs. Eldar - Strategy Help

I would set aside the 6 hammerheads to begin with. Something in my head wants to say 50/50 sub/ion. Ions for tanks, hammerheads for versatility, especially

Bring the human auxiliaries, and set them up in 2, 6 man squads, ui, markerlight. More then likely they will overlook them for the rest.

If possible bring 6 firewarrior teams, this way to cover a flank messed up by any assaults. T 3 is really not a thing to leave open. Bolster these lines with three stealth suit teams.

3 pathfinders to outflank maybe?
----------------

Kroot are optional and wouldnt hurt especially if t3 is concerned. My only concern is being able to get thier attacks worth before assaulting.

Mps are standard of course, as many as you can fit.

a broadside team would be ok for the titan.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 17:56   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Even with railguns, 2 titans agaisnt none is kind annoying. Id ask if could not field one or even both for the sake good sporstmanship.
FADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 18:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

This is an Apocalypse bout at these point-levels, right? Whatever you do with the railhead / ionhead / skyray combinations, you have to take at least one Armoured Interdiction Cadre formation. You can't go wrong with free markerlight hits at unlimited range! I believe there's also a skyray formation that lets you link up their markerlights in some interesting way. Seeker missiles are one of the better choices for taking down wave serpents with the thing that reduces any weapon's strength to 8. I would go about 1 skyray for every 2 or 3 railheads. The ionhead was my favorite in 4th edition, but it really isn't as useful in 5th; besides, you are going to need all the railguns you can get to deal with titans and tanks.

Since he's packing titans, it might be worth having a team or two of suicidal deep-striking crisis teams of twin-linked fusion blaster and targeting array: 160 points or so for an almost-certain 3 AP1 penetrating hits. You'll lose the squad in the next round, but if 160 points drops a titan so what?

Another favorite trick of mine, which I only have points for in apocalypse, is a full squad of stealth suits with gun drones. Make one a team-leader and trick him out with targeting array, multi-tracker, markerlight (at BS 4!), bonding knife, and possibly marker drones instead of gun drones.

I would leave the ethereal at home as there are two many things in apocalypse that can single-out a specific model. Keep in mind that the majority of eldar troops have 4+ armor or worse, making them vulnerable to the hammerhead submunition. They'll likely have cover, but markerlights can deal with that. Warp spiders' armor will be a problem, but seeker missiles can take them down or you can resort to plasma / fusion crisis suits or just massed pulse fire. Eldar have a sniper unit that gets basically impenetrable cover saves, so be prepared to dig them out with kroot or have flamers and airbursting frag projectors handy. Which reminds me, you should check with your opponent on whether the "only one Special Issue gear" restriction applies in Apocalypse or if that goes out the window with the rest of the restraint!

Have fun, and show that ancient race that Age and Treachery doesn't always beat Youth and Skill!

@FADE: What do you think of my suggestion of a couple of squads of suicide fusion suits to deal with the titans? I'm not familiar with exactly how hard a titan is to take down, but that would put a pretty serious dent in one, wouldn't it?

knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2009, 02:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
I would set aside the 6 hammerheads to begin with. Something in my head wants to say 50/50 sub/ion. Ions for tanks, hammerheads for versatility, especially
I would actually recommend a 1 Railhead : 2 Ionheads, as the Ionheads are great versus his heavy infantry and tank alike.

Something that you can potentially do is have an Alpha Strike setup. Namely, take 4 Stealth Marker Teams, each with 6 or 7 markerlights, and fire around 14 Seeker Missiles a turn. Seeker Missiles, just like Ionheads, excel versus Eldar.

Lastly, take sacrificial gun drone teams, as they are great speed bumps. Also, their mobility allows them to keep up with Eldar units.

Oh, and this is just a suggestion, but I would proxy the pirhanas as Tetras equipped with seeker missiles for some outflanking titan killing fun.

Quote:
@FADE: What do you think of my suggestion of a couple of squads of suicide fusion suits to deal with the titans? I'm not familiar with exactly how hard a titan is to take down, but that would put a pretty serious dent in one, wouldn't it?
Their pretty hard to take down, as they are pretty much multi-wound vehicles. Massed Railguns are the way to go versus them. Another good option is the fusion cannon hammerhead turret, and the optimal titan killing weapon is the heavy railgun, if you have access to it.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2009, 02:44   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I was able to find out some more about his forces.

One titan is only about 12-inches tall, the other is about 30-inches tall. The smaller one is supposed to be the stronger of the two.

Without the titans he is 2000 points - TOPS.

He only has 1 fire prism, 3 wraithlords, dire avengers, warlock with farseers.

Other than that I am not sure of what he has.

But so far I reconfigured my crisis suits to carry fusion blasters as that sounded like a good idea. I can reconfigure just about any of my vehicles as they are employing magnets to change out armaments.

Any other ideas, strategies and tactics will be most welcome as this battle is going to occur on Monday. I still do not know if we are using apocalypse rules or not as he hasnt responded to my text, nor do I know if he will allow me to proxy anything from IA3.

Old 17 May 2009, 03:23   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I guess suicide Fusion cures a lot of ailgments, but Eldar titans have what for the most part can be considered a 50% invunerable save against shooting. So you need mass fire to over wheml it. Also you need to catch it because from what i remeber they are all fast and still hit hard.

When it comes to shooting tau have railguns and fusion, which are good. Too bad ap 1's effect dosnt carry over to the superheavy table. The only things we can get in Apoc that has better guns would be two flyers one that cost 200 dollars or another that cost 1400. If i i won the lottery i could bring myself to buy the first, but i could never justify buying one model that cost as much as paid for the rest of my army (i got really lucky amassing my 5000 some odd points of tau).
FADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 05:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Anyone know the armor of Eldar titans? If its anything like their vehicles, I would take a lot of Deathrains.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 07:59   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

the armor on both of his titans are 12.

and our game got postponed a week as he had to work