Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Refined XV8 Naming Scheme (What's a Fireknife/Deathrain/Helios etc)
Closed Thread
Old 10 Jun 2005, 01:36   #11 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Refined XV8 Naming Scheme

Tsumishi, thanks for the feedback! The 'T' or 'TW' is really unnecessary though, since if there's a number, you know it's twinlinked! Here's a more detailed breakdown:

Certain suits are brought with a single twinlinked weapon. You need to fill the third hardpoint with something, but what that something is, is really irrelevant to how the suit is used. Whether the third hardpoint on a Deathrain is filled with a Shield Generator, a Flamer, or a Target Lock, the suit is still going to be sitting at the back of the board and firing it's missile pods at light vehicles and standard infantry. Obviously the choice of support system to fill the third hardpoint effects the suit's cost, which is why each piece of wargear must be provided when army lists are being discussed, but for casual internet discussion, simply mentioning the word "Deathrain" is sufficient to give a rough idea of what the suit's purpose is and how it's used.

Other suits are fitted with 2 weapons and a multitracker. On Commanders and Team Leaders, it's possible to twinlink one of these weapons and Hardwire the Multitracker. However, a suit with [Plasma, Missile Pod, Multitracker] and a teamleader with [TL Plasma, Missile Pod, HW Multitracker] are very similar in purpose. They're both essentially a Fireknife suit... it's just that the one packs a bit more punch against heavy infantry on account of the fact that it's got a twinlinked Plasma Rifle. Therefore, it makes sense to call them what they are... they're both Fireknives. However, in order to differentiate the fact that the one has a twinlinked weapon, we put a number after it, which is the strength of the weapon that is twinlinked. It's a handy fact that there are no two Crisis weapons that are the same strength, so this scheme works out well. Therefore, our teamleader suit with [TL Plasma, Missile Pod, HW Multitracker] becomes a Fireknife-6.

Other examples include:

Fireknife-7: [Plasma Rifle, TL Missile Pod, HW Multitracker]
Helios-6: [TL Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, HW Multitracker]
Firesurge-8: [TL Fusion Blaster, Missile Pod, HW Multitracker]

Does that make more sense?
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 09 Dec 2006, 23:32   #12 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Squire

what about suits with flamers on, especially useful vs eldar with the warlock power conceal or fighting enemies that hide in bunkers
Old 09 Dec 2006, 23:43   #13 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

"THREAD! RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!" ?

(anyways, I'd suggest 'bolt' for the CIB... that seems to fit)
Old 09 Dec 2006, 23:53   #14 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to The_Greater_Good

Ok, since he will get in trouble for necromancy not I, I suggest you add my naming scheme "Typhoon" Battlesuit (Burst Cannon, Cyclic Ion Blaster, Missle Pod, Hard-wired multi-tracker).

If you need help with a Tau army list, go ahead and pm me, always willing to help.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 00:13   #15 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

@Squire: You really should have started a new thread for this, as this thread is a year and a half old. Not only that, but it was put up a year before the new codex.

And to answer your question, a Flamer is not considered a primary weapon system, because of it's range, it's considered a last option for use, so as such it doesn't have an indication on the suit, it would fall under the number system.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 01:45   #16 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire
what about suits with flamers on, especially useful vs eldar with the warlock power conceal or fighting enemies that hide in bunkers
This thread is well over a year old. Necromancy (posting in threads long inactive) is against the forum rules. As you are new this is just a warning and reminder, please remember to read the forum rules and abide by them.

Old 10 Dec 2006, 01:53   #17 (permalink)
Shas'La

Not to quibble, bit it seems like whenever someone starts a new thread about an issue that's already come up, people say "Check the important topics first, don;t start new threads!" then when someone does check the important topics, sees a relivant thread and then posts on it he gets yelled at for 'Threadomancy'

Where's the line? I could see just posting on an ond thread with something pointless, just to bring it back, but if someone makes a valid post, relivant to the original thread, isn;t that better than cluttering the board with new threads on an already covered subject?
Old 10 Dec 2006, 03:22   #18 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, in this case a thread of "I've read through the XV8 naming scheme and there's nothing for flamers, what's the name for that?" would do just fine.

Personally, Vash, you mods need to go into the "important topics" thread and lock the threads listed. Don't lock everything, but the ones that are linked in the stickies should be locked.

Including this one, now...
Old 10 Dec 2006, 03:43   #19 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think before the thread is locked, updating it for the new special issue weapons would be a good idea, don;t you? Perhaps a little brainstorming session in coming up with new titles for the new weapons is in order before shutting it down.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 06:13   #20 (permalink)
Shas'O

I believe that CIBs have been desegnated "Aurora"
Closed Thread