Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How well do Barracudas work?
Old 14 May 2009, 22:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default How well do Barracudas work?

I just recently got a bonus from my job that was 120 dollars more than I thought it would be. This is just enough to get a Barracuda from Forge World. Ive been playing my Tau against new IG alot recently and It would be nice to have an aircraft to destroy those pesky Arty units so my railguns can take out the Leman Russ variants. I wanted to know, it works well on paper, but how does a Barracuda work in practice? Any strengths? Weaknesses?
Old 14 May 2009, 23:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: How well do Barracudas work?

I don't think they are allowed in standard games. I think they will be quite good against arties since you can always hit them on the side armour and your ion cannon is strength 7!
Old 14 May 2009, 23:30   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Actually, they are allowed so long as you ask permission. They are a Heavy Support choice.
Old 15 May 2009, 00:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Actually, they are allowed so long as you ask permission.
Thats what I meant!
Old 15 May 2009, 00:14   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Can flyers target more then one unit?

The one thing that always bugged me about the barricuda was that its weapons are all over the board on what they are good at.

But it does have 5 strength 7 shots between the Ion and the missile pod, so as long as your keeping to weaker side armour targets it does have its purpose. Also with that many shots from any angle im sure it would be good at hitting squadroned units.
FADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 00:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FADE

The one thing that always bugged me about the barricuda was that its weapons are all over the board on what they are good at.

But it does have 5 strength 7 shots between the Ion and the missile pod, so as long as your keeping to weaker side armour targets it does have its purpose. Also with that many shots from any angle im sure it would be good at hitting squadroned units.
5 shots?! I thought Ion cannons can only fire 3 times...
Old 15 May 2009, 00:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

As a flyer it always hits on the side armour and your opponent will need to add 12in. to range it therefore it is a good model, but as with all things, not invincible. Given that you have the option of either a hammerhead or a barracuda as one heavy support choice um...I honestly don't know what I would take, the one has front armour penetration power and template weapon capacity, the other always hits, never allows cover saves (but never gets them) and might hit (3 at BS4 means you are going to at least glance every time) if you do take it (the barracuda) keep it out at the 60" maximum range if at all possible and use it to harass any heavy armour first, only use it on troops when there is nothing left to get shot with, and take the multitraker and target lock so that you can shoot troops and armour every time, be very weary of missile launchers.

Edit:when using a barracuda in any mission or tournement (except in apocolypse) always ask (in tournements that allow IA rules simply inform your opponent, you don't have to ask) your opponent for permission to play using Imperial Armour/Forgeworld rules, and ask nothing else. If they say yes go for it, if they say no pack your bags and move on, any player who plays against you once will allow you to use your barricuda out of streight curiosity and unknowing, after you beat them however, and they realize that you have to ask permission to use your barricuda, they will probably never allow you to use it against them again, in which case you should never offer to battle them again (assuming that you want to use your barricuda) until they concede to allow it. Otherwise if you go on and play without the barricuda you have just spent $100+ on a completly legal and cool model that is potentially game winning and that no one wants you to use. You will find (at least I do) that most local tournements do not put in their rules that you cannot use Imperial Armour models or rules (always check each very carfully everytime before entering) some do, most don't, the point being that in the case of Imperial Armour if it's not in the (tournement) rules then it's legally alright to use(since the barricuda is a games workshop model and Imperial Armour is a Forgeworld/Games Workshop product) if you do alright the you should win (or do very well) as most players never prepair for flyers. I would also suggest that you get your hands on a copy of IA:3 and memorize the flyer rules on page 309-312 for your own protection if nothing else (you will want a copy as I garentee that your opponent will be reading them very carfully after losing and entire tank squad to one vehicle) one other thing that you will want to know by heart with the barricuda is the rules for vehicle cover (from the 5th edition rule book) in particular the fact that area terrain does not count for cover saves on vehicles, and that immobolzed on a squadron counts as wrecked. (the reason for this is that if you make two hits and get an immobolsed and a weapon destroyed then you can effectivly take out two tanks in one shooting round from one vehicle)

one strategical note: equip your commander unit with (I think it's command and control node) the piece of war gear that allows your to roll a designated reserve unit at 2+. Flyers come in as reserves so designate your flyer and pray the dice gods are with you (statistically it should come in). Once a flyer comes in it always rolls a 2+ to return so if you know how hard it is to kill a XV88 then you know how hard it is to not have your Barricuda killing every turn. Might I also suggest that you try fighting yourself with it a few times before deploying it (at least read IA:3 and understand how it was used fluff wise) the strategies for the use and deployment of the barricuda are very lacking and therefore must be developed in training and active combat.

Glad to see someone else who has one, please post pictures of it for my reference http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=82240.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 00:39   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wu-Tang-Tau
Quote:
Originally Posted by FADE

5 shots?! I thought Ion cannons can only fire 3 times...
A Barricuda is armed with

1 Ion Cannon
1 Twinlinked Missile Pod
2 Burst Cannons

if your within 3 feet of the target you can shoot the ion and the missile pod to get 5 strength 7 shoots.

I just looked up the rules on flyers and saw that they cannot divide their fire, but you can take a target lock as hardcore pointed out to bypass that. You dont need the multitracker though becasue flyers can always shoot all their weapons no matter how far they moved.
Old 15 May 2009, 02:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Barracudas are really good when fighting other Flyers, as they tend to be lightly armored and make perfect targets for S7 / S5 weaponry. Against light vehicles and high-toughness models, it is pretty good as well. I more-or-less see it as a more survivable Ionhead with added missile pods, and the ability to take a couple extra seeker missiles. This brings up another good use for it, shooting at lighted units from the rear with its seeker missiles. With 4 S8 shots and 5 S7 shots, even a baneblade (which has rear armor 12, right?) should take 1.6 penetrating hits, and 1.05 glance hits. That's good chance of destroying it right there, statistically taking out 1 structure point, with a 25% chance of taking out a second. That's better than 3 broadsides firing at the front armor, which yield .75 penetrating hits .375 glances, and cost about the same as a Barracuda.
Quote:
As a flyer it always hits on the side armor and your opponent will need to add 12in.
I looked through IA:3, and couldn't find anything dictating which armor a flyer's attacks are made against. If you could post a page and line #, it would be great.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 05:00   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Imperal Armour is pre Apoc rules. When Apoc came out they simplfied the system and changed it drasitically. In imperal Armour the plane actual moved in your opponets turn.

They changed that and made it something that moves and attacks like any other unit. Also they added that all flyers hit on side armour and they added that annoying rule that says you need 6's to hit flyers unless you have a anti-air mount. WHICH NO one has standard.