Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Range of AFP
Old 13 May 2009, 09:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Range of AFP

just a small question concerning the range of Airbursting fragmentation projector

it says it's range is G18" i have never encountered any other weapon with G range

so i ask you, what does G mean and how is it worked out?

Please help my daemon lvl up
Shae2994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2009, 09:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Range of AFP

G range (guess weapons) are a hang over from older editions (and fantasy).

See the rulebook page 32 for details but essentially ignore the G, they are equivlant to having the "barrage" rule.

If you're interested you used to have to guess the range you wanted to fire and then roll the scatter from there.
Old 13 May 2009, 09:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonagon
G range (guess weapons) are a hang over from older editions (and fantasy).

See the rulebook page 32 for details but essentially ignore the G, they are equivlant to having the "barrage" rule.

If you're interested you used to have to guess the range you wanted to fire and then roll the scatter from there.
oh ok i see i never read the barrage section because i didn't think tau had any rules for barrage

thanks for the help and quick reply

Please help my daemon lvl up
Shae2994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2009, 10:12   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I actually just looked that up resently becasue i was thinking of using it again.

But something odd came up when i decided to read the rules for blast weapons, something i dont have much of reason to read considering a play tau.

Is there a confliction in the rules for blast weapons? Paragrah 3 says that if a blast lands outside the range of the weapon the shoot is s miss. Paragrah 6, the one that talks about the ridcoulus concept of richocit. Says that its perfectly fine for it to go beyond a weapons range and counts as a richocit and from what i read still goes into effect and dosent dispear.

Am i reading this right and seeing these two things contidicting eachother, or is there something im missing?
FADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2009, 10:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think the bit you're referring too says that if it lands inside the minimum range it counts as having missed. But going longer than the range is fine. Though that would be paragraph 5 as I read it :P
Old 13 May 2009, 16:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by FADE
I actually just looked that up resently becasue i was thinking of using it again.

But something odd came up when i decided to read the rules for blast weapons, something i dont have much of reason to read considering a play tau.

Is there a confliction in the rules for blast weapons? Paragrah 3 says that if a blast lands outside the range of the weapon the shoot is s miss. Paragrah 6, the one that talks about the ridcoulus concept of richocit. Says that its perfectly fine for it to go beyond a weapons range and counts as a richocit and from what i read still goes into effect and dosent dispear.

Am i reading this right and seeing these two things contidicting eachother, or is there something im missing?
It's talking about if it's outside of your range before you scatter. So say you use the Subumission shot from the Hammerhead. Heaven forbid you're not able to hit anything with 72" of range, but let's just say... You place down the template, guessing how far you are away from the weapon. You then measure from the weapon to see if the center of the template is within the maximum range. If it's not, you miss. If it is, roll to scatter like normal. And if it's out of range at this point, then it's just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2009, 18:31   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Paragraph 3 says

"Next, check to see if the shot has landed on target. If the hole at the center of the marker is beyond the weapon's maximum range, the shot is automatic miss.

Paragraph 6 says

"Note that it is possible, and absolutely fine, for a scattering shot to land beyond the weapon's range and line of sight..... In these cases hits are worked out as normal"

Im not trying to show anyone up and find some way to break the rules, but this is exactly what the rule book says.

I can understand where the second part might be referring to the center of the blast marker and not the whole marker, but it doesn't say that. And i assume the center is part of the whole (which is the only assumption I'm making) and i clearly see it referring to the whole marker can go outside the max range for the 6th paragraph but not the third.

P.S. i counted that first sentence by itself the first paragraph. A language arts teacher would be mad at me for even considering paragraph to consist of only one sentence but i figured it was easier including it as one.
Old 13 May 2009, 18:40   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FADE
Paragraph 3 says

"Next, check to see if the shot has landed on target. If the hole at the center of the marker is beyond the weapon's maximum range, the shot is automatic miss.

Paragraph 6 says

"Note that it is possible, and absolutely fine, for a scattering shot to land beyond the weapon's range and line of sight..... In these cases hits are worked out as normal"

Im not trying to show anyone up and find some way to break the rules, but this is exactly what the rule book says.

I can understand where the second part might be referring to the center of the blast marker and not the whole marker, but it doesn't say that. And i assume the center is part of the whole (which is the only assumption I'm making) and i clearly see it referring to the whole marker can go outside the max range for the 6th paragraph but not the third.

P.S. i counted that first sentence by itself the first paragraph. A language arts teacher would be mad at me for even considering paragraph to consist of only one sentence but i figured it was easier including it as one.
What paragraph 3 is saying is that if you GUESS the range to target & that range is outside the weapons range, it is an auto-miss. e.g. If you are using the AFP & guess the max rang of 18", but the range is 19", then it is a miss. Paragraph six states that if you guess the range to target @ 17", and are correct, but the scatter takes it to 19" or 20", the shot still counts as the original range was inside the max range of the weapon, but for some reason after firing the weapon it was somehow knocked off course - perhaps the wind gusted, it was stuck by the shockwave of another weapon, or just failed to detonate on impact & bounced around a bit before finally exploding.

~Sunscreem

But essentially, what the Tau do is no different - its just a bit more benign. They take over the planet - you have a choice, you join them - Hoorah, tea and drones all round. - GoneFishing
Sunscreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2009, 18:45   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Oh okay i didnt realize the scatter happens after the first times its said. Thanks that clears that up.