Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Seeker Missile Deception
Old 11 May 2009, 15:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Seeker Missile Deception

I have been lurking for a few weeks now and have noticed a number people toting up the Seeker Missile's unlimited range. I did a search and couldn't find anything recent on how decieving the range of Seeker Missiles is. Now maybe something in 5th ed. changed this, but last I understood a seeker missile isn't actually unlimited. I am not talking about the weapon's listed range, since it does state unlimited. I'm talking about the reliance of a marklight hit to actually fire the seeker missile. So the range of a seeker missile is in fact 36' from the clossest marklight wielding model. This is my biggest gripe about the seeker missile and I feel that people neglect to take this into account when talking about them. However, due to my search-fu failing to find anything on this in terms of 5th ed. I was wondering if this situation has changed.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 15:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Seeker Missile Deception

That's still right as far as I know... but since you can drop a markerlight drone attached to a suit squad anywhere on the table via deepstrike... it's unlimited isn't it
I can honestly say that if ML's were changed to Assault 1 that there would be an entire sub-set of Tau players ruining the front of their pants while an entire group of opponents would be ruining the back of their pants.
Mister Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 15:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to BKZer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Kay
That's still right as far as I know... but since you can drop a markerlight drone attached to a suit squad anywhere on the table via deepstrike... it's unlimited isn't it
Exactly. After my first game, I decided to add marker lights/seeker missiles to everything they were available to. I moved my Crisis Squad up with a marker drone screened by kroot. and launched seeker missiles off of my hammerhead which was safely tucked away taking sniper shots with it's rail gun about 55" away. That allows you to keep the shots coming, while keeping your artillery back where it's safe.
Desert Base Tutorial
BKZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 19:10   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I have been putting a lot of thought into a squad of fusion blaster equipped Piranhas complete with seeker missiles for their high speed and the ability of seeker missiles to come from the direction of the vehicle rather than the markerlight, my plan is to move top speed, gaining a cover save, fire seeker missiles at the back of vehicles and then lay waste to anything heavy with the fusion, drones to be dropped as needed either on my side of the field, mid table, or smack dab in the enemy lines.

What do you more experiences players shoot your seeker missiles at? My understanding is that even using one on a space marine is not a waste.
So_Catholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 19:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

My issue is that while XV8's may grant the seeker missile a more versatile range now with the new Deepstrike rules, they still cost an additional 30 points to get the marklight with them. That makes it cost 40 points for a single shot that is only slightly better then the missile pod. IIRC the missile pod is better actually better, in a mathhammer kinda way, and I know that if it is twinlinked the missile pod is better.
As for placing it on a hammerhead, the issue with that is the missile is treated as if it is coming from the hammerhead. Which means most likely it will hit either the front or possibly the side armor of a vehicle. This will result in succesfully pentrating the vehicle somewhere between 33%-16.5% of the time. Pluss you still need to get a marklight on something for it to work anyways, so if you loose all your marklights (believe it or not it does happen) then all those points sunk into seeker missiles are lost.
I actually don't take them anymore due to their inefficentcy, unless I have a skyray which comes with them standard and two marklights.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 19:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Space Marine targets only let you make your points back if it isn't in cover, or if its a SM with expensive additional weaponry and/or a HQ in power armor.

Markerlights are not inexpensive, generally, and since they're a necessary part of firing a Seeker Missile and would otherwise be used for something else (giving your hammerhead +1 to BS or reducing cover by 1, for example), they should be considered part of the cost of a seeker missile.

The cheapest ML hit, on average, is under 25 pts (if you were going to use the Devilfish for something else), so I think it's fair to consider it roughly 5 points per turn. I say 5 points, as I sincerely doubt most Pathfinder squads last past turn 5.

That makes a Seeker Missile's shot, at the absolute cheapest, to be almost exactly on par with a Space Marine's base cost without any wargear. The problem is that it also fails to wound 1/6 of the time, and that abundant cover saves can also negate it.

In the end, you come down to Seeker Missiles costing on average more points to kill a single space marine model than a vanilla space marine model costs.

Conclusion: Unless you've popped all the ablative wounds and your Plasma Cannon toting target does not have cover, the target absolutely MUST be reduced to save one of your other, expensive, crucial squads, or you are firing at power-armored SM HQs or their retinue/command squads, Seeker Missiles aren't worth it against SM.
Old 11 May 2009, 19:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to BKZer0

To help make this work, my 2000 point army has TONS of marker lights. 3 Shas'ui FWs with marker lights and target locks so they can independently mark something other than what their squad is attacking. 2 Squads of Crisis suits with marker drones. one squad of Steal suits with a marker light. Lastly, my commander has a marker drone + shield drone.

It may be overboard, but My 2 Devilfish and 2 Hammerheads have seeker missiles so I am just throwing them like crazy every turn.
Desert Base Tutorial
BKZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 19:49   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I've never used Seeker missiles. Never.

I find myself maxing out points elsewhere in my army. Maybe someday I will find a use for them.

'Nids ate my cheezy poofs!

A unit of Necron Warriors can take out a Titan. No joke.
Kir Kanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 20:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate13
However, due to my search-fu failing to find anything on this in terms of 5th ed. I was wondering if this situation has changed.
There is no confusion. What do you not understand?

The range from the vehicle where the seeker originated to the unit/squad with the marker counter is unlimited.
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 20:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate13
My issue is that while XV8's may grant the seeker missile a more versatile range now with the new Deepstrike rules, they still cost an additional 30 points to get the marklight with them. That makes it cost 40 points for a single shot that is only slightly better then the missile pod. IIRC the missile pod is better actually better, in a mathhammer kinda way, and I know that if it is twinlinked the missile pod is better.
Sounds like a great case for not using a seeker.
/thread
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote