Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Missing Broadside Railgun
Old 11 May 2009, 10:06   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Missing Broadside Railgun

I've recently come back to my Tau army after a break of about 4 years (an act that involves a complete repaint), only to find my younger, more foolish self lost a broadside railgun from one of my suits. Now I'm left with 3 broadsides and only 5 railguns! I'm trying to get my hands on a spare. Anyone know of somewhere I can order it? Failing that, anyone have any suggestions to how I could build one? I am willing to try anything (except mugging)!
S.A.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 10:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Missing Broadside Railgun

a spare one....hmm that will be tricky.

its a 35.00 box set, with only two railguns. They dont exactly come in spare 10 pack kits...

I had the same issue, except I just started using only one of the railguns.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 10:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.L.
I've recently come back to my Tau army after a break of about 4 years (an act that involves a complete repaint), only to find my younger, more foolish self lost a broadside railgun from one of my suits. Now I'm left with 3 broadsides and only 5 railguns! I'm trying to get my hands on a spare. Anyone know of somewhere I can order it? Failing that, anyone have any suggestions to how I could build one? I am willing to try anything (except mugging)!
Well, unless you wanted to go the illegal (in some areas) route and just cast another Railgun (expensive if you decide to buy all the gear to do it), you can also watch out for bits stores selling them... Though I haven't seen them doing so in awhile.

Another option is to take this opportunity to convert your figure. Andy decided to go the sniper route (his skill is what makes him re-roll ) and show his work in this thread.
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=81778.0

The last option is that you try to sculpt it yourself. You could possibly make a clay mold and then fire it (to harden it) and just make some GS replicas, or try to sculpt it yourself.

If all else fails, throw the spare railgun into your bits box as well as the SMS arms and just make another Crisis suit. :P

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 12:22   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I would just try to make one out of plastic card and greenstuff.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 23:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Tael has made some really cool broadside count as conversions as well. In my search for cool railgun alternatives at our local hobby store I noticed a display for parts to create models for architects. They had clear colored rods in various sizes, plastic I beams and girders in various scales, and what really caught my eye was the hollow plastic rectagular beams in various sizes. They'd make great railgun barrels and are ready made to go. Just carve some bits around them and make two pretty good railguns and save the original.
Here's some pics of Tael's great mods.
Oh and thanks for the props. I also made a simpler Broadside mod if you want an idea of what it can look like
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=82617.0

I should change my name to Number 1. Not because I'm conceited but because thats what I always roll at inopportune moments.

Link to my Terrain Table Article http://tauonline.org/?content=browse...ry&article=619
AndyinUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2009, 06:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Try here, though you might need to be quick!

Bitz store
Old 12 May 2009, 14:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to BKZer0

aaaah... Tael, always making everyone else who converts 40k models look bad. ;D
Desert Base Tutorial
BKZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2009, 16:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Is it really illegal to cast a spare railgun out of one of your own, just for your own use? You are neither buying an illegal copy nor out to make an illegal profit. In a way, you are doing a form of conversion work...

That said, it'd probably be easier to come up with some sort of creative conversion with what you already have, if you have the inclination to do so.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2009, 19:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floobosaurus
Is it really illegal to cast a spare railgun out of one of your own, just for your own use? You are neither buying an illegal copy nor out to make an illegal profit. In a way, you are doing a form of conversion work...

That said, it'd probably be easier to come up with some sort of creative conversion with what you already have, if you have the inclination to do so.
In my opinion, no, not really. I feel as you do that it falls within the conversion and modification realm and is exempt from some of those things.

Some people who have scoured the IP claims of GW say that casting for non-profit, personal use is totally allowed. I agree, especially since GW has shown examples on how to replicate their work before (in WD).

Some people, have decided to be safe rather than risk GW coming down on them or them not being able to compete in GW sponsored tournaments. I have heard of people not being able to use their cast models in GW tourneys. :P

Unless you have the casting kit/materials already, it will be more expensive than simple replacing the gun with another bought one. However, the casting kit will last longer than the one pour, so you'll make your money back eventually.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote