Warhammer 40K Forum

Neural Shredder v Shield Drones
Closed Thread
Old 10 May 2009, 14:31   #1 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Neural Shredder v Shield Drones

I noticed that Shield Drones have no Leadership value; n/a. Now, the scenario is; a Crisis Suit Commander + 2 Shield Drone v Neural Shredder. Since Neural Shredder use the Leadership stat in place of Toughness stat for wounding and the Shield Drone's Leadership which is n/a and the majority (2/3), I was wondering whether when I use the Neural Shredder, do I wound the Commander and the 2 Shield Drones automatically? Or am I missing the Shield Drone's Leadership?
Old 10 May 2009, 14:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Neural Shredder v Shield Drones

I think you would use the majority leadership that has a numerical value so the drones would probably count as Ld9/10 depending upon commander
or
The drones are invulnerable to the weapon
Old 10 May 2009, 15:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Neural. To do with the brain as a living organism. Drones don't have biological brains. Therefore the commander can only be neurally shredded.

Makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
The female race really is disgusting.

Old 10 May 2009, 15:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The rules for the neural shredder, just like all the rest of the rules for the Callidus assassin, are messy at best. I've never heard a reliable answer on what to do with a squad with mixed leadership in the first place, which is silly since almost all troops in the game have to option of a squad-leader with +1 leadership. You could argue that it works exactly like mixed toughness rules (meaning you use the lower value in most cases), or that you get to use the higher leadership unless otherwise stated. I've heard both arguments, and I slightly prefer the 2nd one, but my main opinion is just that I hate the Callidus in general!

It makes more sense to me that a neural weapon couldn't wound something biological at all, but RAW doesn't say anything about that. It can wound monstrous creatures and aliens bugs controlled by a mind far far away, It can wound plenty of purely mechanical constructions like Eldar wraithlords since they're not vehicles, but can't wound things powered by a "machine spirit" because they are. If it's that flexible, or if the tau use a neural network or carbon-based circuitry in their drones, then maybe it can.

Now to try actually being helpful, all I can suggest is that you discuss it with your opponent and try to come up with a consensus before starting the game.

Old 10 May 2009, 15:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

A note on Wraithlords- They're NOT purley mechanical (well techniacally they are) it's because they have a spirit inside their spirit stone (the key to immortality)
Old 10 May 2009, 17:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to MDRedeemer Send a message via MSN to MDRedeemer

For drones, use the leadership for a normal gun drone.

As for the mixed leadership values of the Callidus, do this. Sure it'll seem like sniping, but if you hit a model with a different leadership than the rest, roll for them differently. Easiest way to do it. If there are 11 firewarriors and a shas'ui, and I hit 8 firewarriors and the shas'ui with the template, that means I should roll 1 die for the Shas'Ui wounding on a 4+, and rolling 8 dice for the firewarriors killing on a 3+.
Old 10 May 2009, 17:54   #7 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRedeemer
For drones, use the leadership for a normal gun drone.
OK, acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRedeemer
As for the mixed leadership values of the Callidus, do this. Sure it'll seem like sniping, but if you hit a model with a different leadership than the rest, roll for them differently. Easiest way to do it. If there are 11 firewarriors and a shas'ui, and I hit 8 firewarriors and the shas'ui with the template, that means I should roll 1 die for the Shas'Ui wounding on a 4+, and rolling 8 dice for the firewarriors killing on a 3+.
This, I don't accept. Neural Shredders use Leadership for Wounding purposes so, like using Toughness, I use the majority in which the case above; I roll altogether (whatever my template touches) on a 3+.
Old 11 May 2009, 03:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to MDRedeemer Send a message via MSN to MDRedeemer

Thats fair, and rules out any confusion. Also, now that I think about it, that would operate in a similar manner to majority toughness, example being a necron lord with destroyer body amongst a group of scarabs. Sure, hes big and bad, but hes only T3 now from buddy selection.
Old 11 May 2009, 03:52   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Alright, I'm quite satisfied with the answers I gotten (from an "almost" unbiased person). So, this thread can be locked unless anybody wants to raise an objection.
Closed Thread