Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do I get rid of Eldar Pathfinders
View Poll Results: What's the best counter to Eldar Pathfinders camping on an objective?
Send in the kroot to dig them out 9 19.15%
get close enough with flamer-equipped crisis suits 9 19.15%
Airbursting Frag Projector 8 17.02%
Fish of Fury plus cover-removing markerlights 2 4.26%
railgun submunition plus cover-removing markerlights 13 27.66%
something else I haven't thought of 6 12.77%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09 May 2009, 19:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default How do I get rid of Eldar Pathfinders

One of my local gaming group plays Eldar, and has an annoying habit of infiltrating Pathfinders onto the objective and in cover where I can't dig them out. Any cover that is a 4+ cover save is a 2+ for them. Even if you hit them with 5 markerlights, eliminating their cover, they can go to ground and still get a save (not that you should expect to ever get that many hits in the first place). Getting a crisis suit close enough to use either flamers or ABFP is tricky without deepstrike, Fish of Fury leaves the fire warriors exposed, charging kroot are very vulnerable to sniper fire and don't get frag grenades (why?????), and the the railgun submunition option is an awful lot of wasted firepower if it scatters. So how do you dig these guys out?
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 19:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: How do I get rid of Eldar Pathfinders

Don't put the objective in cover :P
Vyrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 19:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Go Mechanised. I personally field 20 Pathfinders, and cracking enemy armour with them is quite hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
The female race really is disgusting.

Tomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 20:05   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I have had the same problem. My most effective ( creative) solution, which utilized my crummy die rolling habits, went like this:

Eldar PF's were camped out in a ruin, sitting on an objective, sniping my FW's. ML hits from my PF's took their coversaves back up to 4+, which allowed me to hit one of them with a PF Railgun. I got a successful pinning test which kept them down through their next turn.
Movement phase of my next turn, I drove a DF into their midst, failing a tankshock. Since it stopped in Difficult terrain, I failed a Dangerous terrain test, which resulted in a spectacular Devilfish explosion, taking out all but one of his PF's.
He was just about rolling on the floor laughing when it was all said and done, and I screamed my battle cry of, "For the Greater Good!!!!!"

Disclaimer: We are both relatively new to WH, so I cannot claim that we made no mistakes in rules interpretation. :P
Rplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 21:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

you just killed the pathfinders with a devilfish....

I ran out of bullets.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 22:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well the Eldar Pathfinders are surprisingly not very good in close combat. So I say some how get him into close combat. Even with a group of fire warriors could take out a pathfinder squad(I am imagining 5 pathfinders in a sqaud unless they are playing Alaitoc then it is strange to see anything bigger).
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 23:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Two cheap options make life hell for Pathfinders: The Airbursting Frag Projector and the Devilfish/Hammerhead/Skyray's Smart Missile System.

Both ignore cover, their armor and both have the capability to cause many wounds without requiring line of sight. And both cost roughly the same amount of points. Against Eldar I'd always kit my Commander out with an AFP and a CIB to take down 4+ save and the occasional 3+ save guy...with T3, the CIB's S3 is better than you think.

Cheers,
-Silver
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 23:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Two cheap options make life hell for Pathfinders: The Airbursting Frag Projector and the Devilfish/Hammerhead/Skyray's Smart Missile System.

Both ignore cover, their armor and both have the capability to cause many wounds without requiring line of sight. And both cost roughly the same amount of points. Against Eldar I'd always kit my Commander out with an AFP and a CIB to take down 4+ save and the occasional 3+ save guy...with T3, the CIB's S3 is better than you think.

Cheers,
-Silver
Smart Missile Systems do not ignore cover entirely, merely LoS-based cover. Pathfinders in area terrain, or touching the cover-granting sandbags or whatever, will still get their full 2+ cover save.

Given its range, I'm surprised the OP has had trouble getting an AFP into range. Sure, 1st turn is a bit tough, but 2nd turn means you're targeting anything within 36" of the AFP carrier's starting point.
Old 10 May 2009, 02:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

With the help of a pathfinder devilfish and positional relay, drop in a heatwave (with 2 gun drones attached). It should be able to decimate any Eldar Pathfinder team in a single turn of shooting, and if you don't finish them off, charge them. Any turn they don't spend shooting is time for you to move yourself into a better position without fear of losing your precious crisis suits. If that doesn't work, a hammerhead submunition works well too (though they can still gain a 4+ cover save if they go to ground).
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009, 03:52   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I've never actually played tau so I may be wrong

Although, after reading the tacticas on the stickies page, ninja tau seems almost perfectly suited to fight eldar armies that are using pathfinders to hold objectives.

The only really scary thing would be having your relay'O sniped off the board in the first two turns.

In any event, the outflankers can come in and have a chance at charging them off their objective, and the deepstrikers can drop into the center of the board where the outflankers will take a couple turns reaching.

Again, it may be because I've never played tau before, but I feel that even after a turn of getting shot at, a crisis squad would still be able to beat a squad of pathfinders in CC.

Anyway, take what I have to say with a grain of salt as I have no experience with tau or eldar.

chaosFreak is offline   Reply With Quote