Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to Tau. 1000pt hit and run style.
Old 09 May 2009, 09:22   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New to Tau. 1000pt hit and run style.

Hey guys, been playing for about 3 months now and have taken an interest in Tau. I want to basically run a 1000 pt list with Hit and Run tactics.

Im looking for alot of Mobility and am trying to stay the F clear of melee as my partner runs a frigging freight train melee list.

Maybe something with a bunch of marker light hits for pinning and / or BS increased to rain some Greater Good death?

Any ideas appreciated, I do have a semi-general idea of a list but I would rather hear some brainstorming and see some examples so I can build around my play style.
Reviction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 15:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: New to Tau. 1000pt hit and run style.

In 1000 points, taking 2x 6 man Firewarrior teams for objective grabbing aboard 1 Disruption pod Devilfish, as well as three crisis that deepstrike with Plas, Fusion, Flamer, hard-wired multi tracker, bonding knife and 1-2 shield drones can wreck havoc against tanks, heavy infantry and light infantry depending on which 2 weapons they use.

Infiltrating Stealth suits with 2 drones each and the third guy having a communications array that makes sure that those crisis suits deepstrike on a 2+ on turn 2 makes the above mentioned strategy work all the better while the stealth team provides jump-shoot-jump covering S5 fire.

Now buy some Pathfinders (preferably 5 with 2 of them having railrifles for some AP3 pinning goodness) and a marker beacon (reduces scatter range of the deepstriking crisis squad) devilfish with disruption pod for your second Firewarriror squad to ride and with the remaining points you can purchase a Multi-tracker + disruption pod Hammerhead or two that can move upto 12'' and still fire its railgun. And that's your ultra mobile list right there!

Cheers,
-Silver
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 19:17   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

As cool as rail rifles are I think he'd be better of with more marker lights.
Guardofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 19:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, I think Markerlights can be way more useful and multi-applicable than Rail Rifles. It also gets you to think creatively on how to get the other guy. I agree with the Stealthsuits, they're useful just about every time (18 shots? Please.) Hammerhead is good, if he wants to be cute and bring his big guns in as well. Fire Warriors in Devilfish are also a must, but the number will depend on how you like your FWs: Big squad? Little squad? Rifles? Carbines?
Vyrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009, 08:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
In 1000 points, taking 2x 6 man Firewarrior teams for objective grabbing aboard 1 Disruption pod Devilfish, as well as three crisis that deepstrike with Plas, Fusion, Flamer, hard-wired multi tracker, bonding knife and 1-2 shield drones can wreck havoc against tanks, heavy infantry and light infantry depending on which 2 weapons they use.
You cannot transport more than one unit in a transport at the same time (see page 66 of the Rulebook under "Transport Capacity"); you'll probably need more than one transport to make sure your Firewarriors are safe and sound. BTW, only two small scoring units is a BAD idea...

Crisis with three weapons are probably a bad idea, too - first of all, you have to run them in Mon'at teams (i.e., teams consisting of a single Crisis), upgrade them to Teamleaders to give them access to hardwired equipment, and then purchase additional Shield Drones for every suit.

Quote:
Infiltrating Stealth suits with 2 drones each and the third guy having a communications array that makes sure that those crisis suits deepstrike on a 2+ on turn 2 makes the above mentioned strategy work all the better while the stealth team provides jump-shoot-jump covering S5 fire.
You cannot give Stealth Suits a Positional Relay, since it is special issue equipment. Only Crisis Shas'Vres and Commanders have on top of my head access to special issue equipment.
Quote:
Now buy some Pathfinders (preferably 5 with 2 of them having railrifles for some AP3 pinning goodness) and a marker beacon (reduces scatter range of the deepstriking crisis squad) devilfish with disruption pod for your second Firewarriror squad to ride and with the remaining points you can purchase a Multi-tracker + disruption pod Hammerhead or two that can move upto 12'' and still fire its railgun. And that's your ultra mobile list right there!
Pathfinders generally are probably a bad idea if you want to go ultra-mobile. Giving them Rail Rifles, well, that's up to you, but I'd probably prefer more Markerlights. Please note that the marker beacon does not "reduce the scatter distance", but allows you a re-roll.

Reviction, I think the thing you're looking for is Ninja Tau.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=82708.0
This is an excellent article written by Gone Fishing about Ninja Tau. Should tell you everything you need to know to get started (and more, at that).

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009, 08:41   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I one thing you can do is take one fire warrior sqaud with a devil fish. Then take a pathfinder which has to take a devilfish and not embark them for setup so its empty. So once the game starts you can put second sqaud of firewarriors in the paths devilfish. You lose the pathfinders outflanking devilfish which i like but you can just inflitrate the pathfinders at a risk of them being far easier to kill.

Also the things people have corrected by the first persons post are correct, there are a lot of sutlties to suits that are kinda annoying at times. I suggest you personally take a look at the rules to understand them.

If you do want to make a hit and run army. I suggest looking into Mech lists and play styles, if you look hard enough you should find a lot of info about them here.
FADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009, 11:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
In 1000 points, taking 2x 6 man Firewarrior teams for objective grabbing aboard 1 Disruption pod Devilfish...

...Now buy some Pathfinders...and a marker beacon...devilfish with disruption pod for your second Firewarriror squad to ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
You cannot transport more than one unit in a transport at the same time (see page 66 of the Rulebook under "Transport Capacity"); you'll probably need more than one transport to make sure your Firewarriors are safe and sound. BTW, only two small scoring units is a BAD idea...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FADE
I one thing you can do is take one fire warrior sqaud with a devil fish. Then take a pathfinder which has to take a devilfish and not embark them for setup so its empty. So once the game starts you can put second sqaud of firewarriors in the paths devilfish. You lose the pathfinders outflanking devilfish which i like but you can just inflitrate the pathfinders at a risk of them being far easier to kill.
Please re-read my post, Bone. ;D As for the too few Firewarriors thing...unless I'm mistaken, a Devilfish with Firewarrior cargo inside it counts as scoring when near an objective? Or do the Firewarriors HAVE to disembark to claim the objective? Either way, the small squad size is because they are a scoring/objective grabbing unit only and taking more would be a waste since they spend at least 1 turn of the game inside the fish and when they get out, they can only fire upto 12''.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Crisis with three weapons are probably a bad idea, too - first of all, you have to run them in Mon'at teams (i.e., teams consisting of a single Crisis), upgrade them to Teamleaders to give them access to hardwired equipment, and then purchase additional Shield Drones for every suit.
Good point, I forgot that. Then I suggest dropping the third crisis suit and paying the 10 points extra per suit to make 2 crisis suits part of the Commander's bodyguard...that way, they have access to the wargear section and +1 attack to boot and get to keep their triple weapon versatility.

True...Stealth suits cannot have the relay. :-X Having the Commander stay behind just for the sake of a better deepstrike chance is, IMO a bad idea then. Just let him deepstrike along with the other 2 bodyguard suits and hope for the best.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote