Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chapter Approved, Custom Vehicles, and Other Apocalypse Stuff
Old 09 May 2009, 04:23   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Chapter Approved, Custom Vehicles, and Other Apocalypse Stuff

So as I understand it Apocalypse is a strange format in which many different things are allowed.

One of those things is the idea of creating and using your own custom models with the help of some set of rules that I can not seem to find, anyone know where these rules can be found online OR if that is not legal (as I assume it might not be) what books or magizines such a thing could be found in?

What exactly is this Chapter aApproved thing I keep hearing about? I know my store allows Chapter Approved in Apocalypse tournaments I am just having a hard time understand what Chapter Approved really is...

Are there any websites devoted to custom data sheets/pdf files for use in large tournaments like I am thinking of?

Thanks for any and all help, I am rather new to 40k and am still in Magic the Gathering mode (or so the local store manager would say) I am used to hard and set rules that define EVERY action and I am still ajusting to the customization and freedom of interpretation that appears abundant in the rules and world 40K.

So_Catholic
So_Catholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 04:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Chapter Approved, Custom Vehicles, and Other Apocalypse Stuff

Chapter Approved 2004.

I'll warn you right now everything will be ridiculously overpriced. Especially skimmers and light vehicles. And the ion cannon.

The more expensive the vehicle the less of a difference that is, so its not bad for making warmachines, but don't think you can make a normal piranha without adding a good 30% points to its cost or worse. I think a hammerhead comes up about 15% over, while a tetra would be far far more.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 05:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wait...

Your store is allowing all chapter approved for play in Apoc tournaments? >

All right. For starters Chapter Approved was a feature run by Andy Chambers in the old(er) White Dwarfs. It was shut down and generally turned illegal after Chambers left. Anyways, while it was around CA was a series of official rules and game modifiers inspired by reader submissions and in most cases the cool ideas the WD team had, but couldn't put into the codexes. All in all, a greatly lauded series for players BY players. It was one of the cornerstones of the "good ole days" of White Dwarf.

There's a number of powerful if costly options in CA that allows for fun. One of which can be Monstrous creatures (worthwhile ones) in a Tau army by way of Carnodons etc.
Chapter Approved also includes the VDR stuff as well.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 07:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by So_Catholic
One of those things is the idea of creating and using your own custom models with the help of some set of rules that I can not seem to find, anyone know where these rules can be found online OR if that is not legal (as I assume it might not be) what books or magizines such a thing could be found in?
This is incorrect; there are no rules for creating custom models or formations. There are old Vehicle Design Rules (VDR) but they are old (pre-4th edition, even) and horribly balanced.

Apocalypse is all about fudging it; when you get into several thousand point games, even 15 points isn't a lot for balancing a model that costs 400+ points already. There really aren't hard and fast rules. Your best bet is to come up with a point cost that seems appropriate and that everyone feels is fair. Base it on existing models/datasheets if need be.

Apoc is all about fun large battles. Nearly every attempt I've personally seen and heard about to try to regulate it for easy pick-up or league play has failed miserably, and wasn't all that fun in the end. It works great for arranged battles between players who are looking for a fun game, not an easy win.
Old 09 May 2009, 07:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Weren't there creature design rules aswell?
Old 09 May 2009, 13:05   #6 (permalink)
Xar
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine
Quote:
This is incorrect; there are no rules for creating custom models or formations. There are old Vehicle Design Rules (VDR) but they are old (pre-4th edition, even) and horribly balanced.
Apocalypse p. 62: Scratch-built models & Creating your own Datasheets.
Old 09 May 2009, 13:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Those are no rules, however, Xar. They're just guidelines and opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy Harbinger
Weren't there creature design rules aswell?
I am not sure. I know that I hear a lot about Tyranid Design Rules and I even have something from the web favorited in regards to it, but I'm not sure if it is a GW-created matter or a fan-created ruleset based off of the VDR.

Here we are. Again, I'm not sure how GW-approved this is (or was). The fact that it is on a fansite leads me to believe this has nothing to do with GW.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 17:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

No it was a complete set of rules for creating you own creature not the tyranid design rules. If i remember i found it somewhere on the old GW site. it was a 3 page PDF format.
Old 09 May 2009, 17:52   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks all the awnsers have been really helpful!

Quote:
No it was a complete set of rules for creating you own creature not the tyranid design rules. If i remember i found it somewhere on the old GW site. it was a 3 page PDF format.
I don't suppose you have that PDF saved somewhere? GW took down all their PDFs not to long ago...
So_Catholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 17:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Thanks all the awnsers have been really helpful!

Quote:
I don't suppose you have that PDF saved somewhere? GW took down all their PDFs not to long ago...
Unfortunately i do not have a copy as i deleted mine presuming GW would keep the file. Darn new GW website.