Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Bulking Up Stealth Teams
Old 06 May 2009, 20:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Bulking Up Stealth Teams

For the first few games I've played using stealth teams, I obviously used them wrong, as they were always the first dead. My main opponent is a Dark Angels player with 930 points. I currently run a stealth team with 3 suits, 1 marker drone, and 3 targetlocks, 140 points. I was thinking of replacing that with 2 suits, 4 gun drones, and a markerlight on the squad leader, for 115 points. I could make up the points by dropping a carnivore or two. Does this make more sense? Keep in mind that my stealth team is my only source of a markerlight at this time.

When I start pushing into larger and larger point games, does it make more sense to run 3 suits, 6 gun drones, and a markerlight/team leader, at 165 points, rather than just the 3 suits on their own? I'd run that now, but my spare points are used up by a counts-as broadside (basically just a crisis suit with some straight sprue bits blue-taced on >.> )

EDIT: Argh, I just noticed that the minimum squad size is 3 suits... Any suggestions on how I should fill *about* 140 points with 3 suits? As in, how to upgrade them, etc?

EDIT2: Please excuse my stupidity, I just spend a week in a psychiatric ward away from my codex (I'm serious). With 140 points to fill, would 3 suits, 1 leader/markerlight combo, and 3 drones (total 135 points) be good?
Foxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2009, 21:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Bulking Up Stealth Teams

First off I think that you have to take a minimum of 3 stealth suits in order to have a squad.

the advantage of putting markerlights on stealths is that the are still allowed to shoot, but also have a stealth field generator to keep them alive longer.

the first and most important point that you need to keep in mind is that these suits are suppossed to be stealth, ie. not seen while shooting.

to answer your question, I like to go with a squad osix stealths and 12 gun drones lots of mov lots of shoot. with your suits you should be shooting and running every turn, so that you won't get hit. the unfortunate thing with darkangels is that they are not kind to you when it comes to killing your squads. you might try a game without them at all, and another where you depend upon them. If you are only taking them for the one marker light, then you probably don't need markerlights that badly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2009, 00:31   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

what I have found when using my stealth teams is that it is either all or nothing that wins the day. Personally, in my Farsight army I use stealth suits as my main source of marker lights. (it also sticks with my suit army theme) I concentrate my fire power on a (usually) single target and light it up like a Christmas tree.

The current team I use is 3 Stealth suits each with a drone controller and 6 marker light drones. The good thing about these guys is that because the drones take on the unit type of the parent unit the marker drones now get the relentless rule. which means that you can move 6 inches inthe movement phase. fire your full range of the marker lights. and then move 6 inches back in the assault phase. even if your assult move still leaves your stealth unit in line of sight of your enemy they will still have to roll night fighting to see either your unit or your drones. because of this i have never had to use Pathfinders as i find they die too easily.

Because i use my suits this way, the suits themselves tend not to fire a lot. i find that this is an ok trade off if you can buff up the rest of your army with marker light bonus's. and in the event your enemy does get close enough, you marker light the threat and eliminate it with all you have. remember, you can always use the marker light drones to boost the stealth suit teams shooting. So don't be afraid of not taking a targeting array like most people are. Be smart with target priority and try to stay far away from any enemy units where possible.

This way to use stealth suits is expensive but it is worth it. imagine a unit that is basically invisible to your opponent but which makes your whole army more efficient.

Finally as a warning, be prepared to totally demoralize your opponent. i once had a game where my opponent learned to be actually afraid to move anything close to my forces because of my stealth suit team. if you do use this tactic try to maintain good sportsmanship. Or you will be thought of as the cheese player.

Gabriel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2009, 00:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel666
what I have found when using my stealth teams is that it is either all or nothing that wins the day. Personally, in my Farsight army I use stealth suits as my main source of marker lights. (it also sticks with my suit army theme) I concentrate my fire power on a (usually) single target and light it up like a Christmas tree.

The current team I use is 3 Stealth suits each with a drone controller and 6 marker light drones. The good thing about these guys is that because the drones take on the unit type of the parent unit the marker drones now get the relentless rule. which means that you can move 6 inches inthe movement phase. fire your full range of the marker lights. and then move 6 inches back in the assault phase. even if your assult move still leaves your stealth unit in line of sight of your enemy they will still have to roll night fighting to see either your unit or your drones. because of this i have never had to use Pathfinders as i find they die too easily.

Because i use my suits this way, the suits themselves tend not to fire a lot. i find that this is an ok trade off if you can buff up the rest of your army with marker light bonus's. and in the event your enemy does get close enough, you marker light the threat and eliminate it with all you have. remember, you can always use the marker light drones to boost the stealth suit teams shooting. So don't be afraid of not taking a targeting array like most people are. Be smart with target priority and try to stay far away from any enemy units where possible.

This way to use stealth suits is expensive but it is worth it. imagine a unit that is basically invisible to your opponent but which makes your whole army more efficient.

Finally as a warning, be prepared to totally demoralize your opponent. i once had a game where my opponent learned to be actually afraid to move anything close to my forces because of my stealth suit team. if you do use this tactic try to maintain good sportsmanship. Or you will be thought of as the cheese player.
Alright, I'm not gonna lie. That's an amazing strategy. Although, where does it say that stealth suits get Relentless?
Old 07 May 2009, 01:03   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel666

Alright, I'm not gonna lie. That's an amazing strategy. Although, where does it say that stealth suits get Relentless?
5th Ed. Codex, page 52,under the title "JET PACKS".
Wolflance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2009, 01:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ahh, alright.

*does some calculating*
With counts-as broadsides and marker drones, as soon as my hammerhead comes in, I've got 1500 points, using the 6 marker drones to 3 stealth suit strategy, as well as a unit of 8 gun drones.

With the purchase of two broadsides and a box of vespids (I *love* the model) my army is complete. This is awesome :3
Old 07 May 2009, 05:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would suggest one of two setups depending on what your want your stealth team to do.

If you want to use them as harrasers, capable of dealing quite a bit of damage, I would take 3 stealth suits, each with a drone controller and gun drone.

If you want to use them as markerlight carriers, I would take 3, each with a drone controller and marker drone, with the team leader equipped with a markerlight as well.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2009, 13:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to BKZer0

On page 35 of the codex: "A team consists of 3-6 Shas'ui".
Desert Base Tutorial
BKZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2009, 13:41   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Good afternoon,

About stealths I have herd a lot of stories in witch most people are using combination of 3 plus drones. On tournaments I've barley seen those guys at all because their place is usuall taken by XV-8 suits.
Some time I do believe that I'm the only one who fields the stealths from beginning of their existence wherever I can mostly using 2-3 wolf packs of 4-5 guys. Maybe that XV-8 are better but they do not suit my army and the are not able to fulfil tasks witch I have for them.

From mine point of view the best option for stealths is simplicity. Take squad of 4/5 with bursts and issue them to spread chaos and they will.

Seya

Whether it is a Land rider, Leman russ or Monolith I haven't seen one hard enough to withstand volleys of nine paired rail guns. Trust me young 'EL nine XV-88 are good for everything.
Leigabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2009, 19:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolflance
5th Ed. Codex, page 52,under the title "JET PACKS".
5th Ed Rulebook you mean...

But yeah, it puzzled me a bit first as Codex specificially says that XV series suits cannot move and fire heavy weapons...but no such limitation is mentioned for Drones. Since they are same type as their host unit, it means that Broadside's drones cannot move & fire because they count as infantry...though they are , in reality, exact same drones as those accompanying other suits...
Backfire is offline   Reply With Quote