Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

FoF (Fish of Fury)
Old 04 May 2009, 19:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default FoF (Fish of Fury)

Before you ask me to read the Sticky, I did. My friend (opponent) suggested that it was not legal to disembark from a Devilfish and fire in the same round, so up to now I havn't had my FWs disembark unless they were forced to (bye bye Fishy). I was under the impression that the Fire Warriors disembark from the fish and fire in the same turn. Also, can a Warfish fire the same round in which the troops disembark? I get the idea behind the strategy but I'm a little fuzzy on the exact timing of things and if I'm going to confront my opponent I want to know the facts clearly so I can make a sound case (I plan on bringing 2 x 12 FWs in Warfishies next game).

Also, would a Flechette Discharger be efficient? I mean if the leftover units did choose to Assault the Fish wouldn't it be nice to have it. It could be used as bait for whatever is left. It could also make the whole situation safer since it could act as a deterrent. This would mean the enemy units would have one less reason to engage the FoF formation which means they'd live a little longer. I'm just not sure it's worth 10 points.

How far can you move with a Warfish and still disembark the troops and have them fire? Does the multi-tracker help here or only with weapon-firing? Also, if the formation is targeted by enemy fire, can you force the opponent to attack the Fishies which have the nice DP Save? Even if it was immobilized it would make for a good Firing base since the enemy would most likely need one extra turn to get to you if positioned well.

I will have follow-up questions. So thanks for answering these and the ones that will follow.

[hr]
I made an airplane out of stone,
I always did like staying home.
Shel Silverstein
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 19:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang
Default Re: FoF (Fish of Fury)

Firewarriors can shoot when they disembark. As for the transport firing, it depends on how fast the vehicle moved in the movement phase.

As for flechette dischargers I've no idea, so I'd suggest asking someone else about that.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 20:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Page 67 in the rule book.

It is quite clear.

As for FD's. If you find your tanks getting assaulted often then it might be a good idea to use them.
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 20:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

Flechettes are indeed worth it in my opinion. First off it wounds those who attack on a 4+ before they even attack. Now when I say wounds it directly wounds those who attack. This is akin to that of the Dangerous Terrain test, but armor saves are allowed instead. Also included is the fact that you kill 25%, another morale check, or it could be used as part of a combo in a defense on assault where the Fish and those attacking the Fish are under attack by the same unit. All of a sudden, its now part of an assault with your guys, and could potentially save them from losing combat or even somehow win combat.
Old 04 May 2009, 20:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

check out this post, and I hope that you enjoy reading:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=72026.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 20:12   #6 (permalink)
Xar
Kroot Shaper

I think the confusion rests in Rapid Fire. They can disembark and fire at Rapid Fire range of 12", but not at full range of 30". Rapid fire rules page 28.
Old 04 May 2009, 21:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore
check out htis post, and I hope that you enjoy reading:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=72026.0
That was one long thread with no clear answer. I think I will ask my opponent in an email ahead of time instead of springing it on them. I thought they were abusing the fact that I was a beginner but it is now clear there are many contradicting rules that can be abused and honestly I have a life. By the time I figure this shit out the 6th edition will be out and I will have to start from the start. We'll either settle for 'no, you can't', 'yes, if we get mutual 4+ saves' or 'Go ahead, but I get to shoot you just as hard'. For 480 points I can bring HH's or Kroot so it's not the end of the world. Either way I will ask the store manager (it's not a GW store) since there's a tournament coming up and he's the rule god (it's crazy how much this guy knows).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xar
I think the confusion rests in Rapid Fire. They can disembark and fire at Rapid Fire range of 12", but not at full range of 30". Rapid fire rules page 28.
So, if I was skimming along one side of the board to get behind their army for whatever reason and I wanted to stop to have my Fire Warriors get out and shoot in between turns at a distance greater than that of 12" I would not be able to do this? This wasn't what my original question was about but it falls under the followup thing. I read the page you mentioned but a quick answer to the above question would be appreciated.

Also, is the carbine ever used? If the FW's had a better initiative the FoF could be made into a FoAssault. Is there a way to increase the initiative of a troop of FW's?

If FoF is indeed dead are there other ways to effectively use Fire Warriors?

[hr]
Shel Silverstein
Old 04 May 2009, 22:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You can't assault after disembarking from a transport. Also as far as shooting is concerned, you count as having moved (i.e. no long shots with the pulse rifle so yes the shorter distance is all you get, and no heavy weapons fire). Also never, ever use your Tau as assault troops. It just never works out well, just a suggestion. I've used Carbines to good effect in FoF utilizing the longer range for a better chance at getting away. It's not that FoF is dead it's just changed drastically from what I understand. I'm new to 40k and did a pretty in depth look into the FoF for 5th edition myself. I believe GoneFishing just did a recent Tactica on the new FoF thats really well presented. The basics of it are with true LOS your fish needs to be either very low with standing FW so they can see over the wings (you have to bail out on side doors for it to work) or the Fish needs to be very high with kneeling FW shooting under it. Good news is if your firing over the fish the target DOES NOT get a cover save. Under they do. You can deploy your Drones to help soak up an assault and allow your FW to jump back in and hopefully live to fire again. The really deadly FoF is with two Fishes and two full squads of FW's. You part the Fish like /\ And put all your FW's in the middle. 48 Rapid Fire shots.

I should change my name to Number 1. Not because I'm conceited but because thats what I always roll at inopportune moments.

Link to my Terrain Table Article http://tauonline.org/?content=browse...ry&article=619
AndyinUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 23:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyinUT
You can't assault after disembarking from a transport. Also as far as shooting is concerned, you count as having moved (i.e. no long shots with the pulse rifle so yes the shorter distance is all you get, and no heavy weapons fire). Also never, ever use your Tau as assault troops. It just never works out well, just a suggestion. I've used Carbines to good effect in FoF utilizing the longer range for a better chance at getting away. It's not that FoF is dead it's just changed drastically from what I understand. I'm new to 40k and did a pretty in depth look into the FoF for 5th edition myself. I believe GoneFishing just did a recent Tactica on the new FoF thats really well presented. The basics of it are with true LOS your fish needs to be either very low with standing FW so they can see over the wings (you have to bail out on side doors for it to work) or the Fish needs to be very high with kneeling FW shooting under it. Good news is if your firing over the fish the target DOES NOT get a cover save. Under they do. You can deploy your Drones to help soak up an assault and allow your FW to jump back in and hopefully live to fire again. The really deadly FoF is with two Fishes and two full squads of FW's. You part the Fish like /\ And put all your FW's in the middle. 48 Rapid Fire shots.
That's the thread I have read. I honestly think it's extremely silly that you have to make all-crouching or standing units... it's a game... a little imagination is OK... But yeah the 2 FoFs were going to be the core of my 750 ptanti-Nid list.

[hr]
Shel Silverstein
Old 04 May 2009, 23:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Did you even bother to read my post.

Page 67 in the rule book. It's very clear that you can disembark then shoot.
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote