Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vectored thrusters?
Old 02 May 2009, 20:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Vectored thrusters?

Ok how do i use vectored thrusters and how does the rule work on them?
For The Greater of Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2009, 20:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Vectored thrusters?

Vectored thrusters grant the fall-back special rule. This rule is described on page 75 of the Rulebook.

Cheers,
-Bone

PS: Please note that the Vectored Thrusters lost much of their usefulness with 5th Edition - the I-test really screws Tau over.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2009, 20:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Vectored thrusters grant the fall-back special rule.
Actually, it's the Hit-and-Run special rule Bonesaw.
Old 02 May 2009, 20:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Grim
Quote:
Thanks for that; my German Codex strikes again

The page reference is alright, though?
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2009, 20:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The joys of mistranslation, eh?

Anyways, yeah, page 75 of the rulebook.
Old 03 May 2009, 00:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman

Vectored Retro Thrusters grants a Mon'At Tau Battlesuit (no drones) the ability to Hit-and-Run. This is useful against those heavy weapons teams or particularly shooty units that lack close combat. You charge (say with a Shas'o, it's 5 attacks), tie them up through your opponent's whole turn. At the end of his assault phase, you hit-and-run, shoot, and charge again in your turn. This way, those 3 lascannons or whatever isn't shooting at the rest of your army.

I'm sure there's other uses. I could've used one for Dram'Ka when he tied up a Defiler for 4 turns to the end of the game, but Dram'Ka couldn't shoot the stupid thing with his fusion blaster or missile pod.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 00:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Not good idea with Tau cause their best I are between 2-3 (as I never use Shas O).
Old 04 May 2009, 02:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wu-Tang-Tau
Not good idea with Tau cause their best I are between 2-3 (as I never use Shas O).
The Shas'o is I:3, so he goes simul with Guard, but you don't assault a unit to destroy them in close combat, you assault them to tie them up from shooting at you.

Let's take 5 Space Marine Devastators, 4 armed with missile launchers. Do you want to sit there and shoot your weapons at them, hoping they won't shoot back, or assault them? The Shas'o can charge with 5 attacks. In addition, he has a 3+ armor save, 4 wounds, and Strength of 5.

Five Space Marines with 1 attack each have a very, very low chance of even wounding the Shas'o. The Shas'o hits back 5 times, wounding on a 3+. He will survive 2 rounds of combat. At the end of your opponent's turn (who couldn't shoot the 4 missile launchers), you hit-and-run. You're turn, shoot again, and charge. If you were armed with a plasma rifle and fusion blaster (hitting on 2+), I can assure you, shooting that twice with two charges will probably take care of those Space Marines.

My Shas'o Commander Dram'Ka doesn't have Vectored Thrusters, as he has two shield drones. But he has finished off a Carnifex, 10 Dark Eldar, 15 Conscripts, 3 Battlesuits, 3 Space Marine bikes, 7 Thousand Sons, and a number of other opponents all in combat. He even (unintentionally) held up a Chaos Defiler for 4 turns.

He has survived 30 Hormagaunts, a Broodlord, and 2-3 Genestealers in the same combat once (1 wound left). He was able to punch 2 Genestealers before they retaliated (he was in cover and was assaulted). Yes, there were 90 attacks from the gaunts. Kinda illegal now considering you can't use the logic, "they would all reach him," anymore. Dram'Ka and two Battlesuits (with 6 Drones), destroyed 3 Necron Heavy Destroyers because they survived the shooting, and I didn't want them free to shoot my vehicles.

There were 5 Space Marine bikes, 2 with sidecars (multi-meltas), and a Commander on a bike. They just finished turbo-boosting, giving them all a 3+ invulnerable save to shooting. So, 4 Stealth Suits, 12 Fire Warriors, and a total of 6 drones charged in, the assault led by Dram'Ka. They were wiped out to a man in two turns. If I hadn't done that, they would've shot the multi-meltas at my tanks, and assaulted my troops. So instead, I jumped on them because shooting wasn't going to take care of them. (Besides, I can shoot with my suits and drones and assault on top of that anyway). This also denied half his other army from shooting at mine.

I don't care if they are Space Marines or if they went simul with the drones (Drones I4). I'm loading 36 attacks at S:3, 12 attacks at S:4 (Stealth suits), and 5 attacks at S:5 (Shas'o) against 8 models. And you know what? If I were playing guard, the Space Marines would still go first, and I'd have even more attacks at S:3 on him, with a similar outcome.

If I didn't assault those bikers, I probably would've lost the game as that was 4th edition when the domino effect in close combat was prevalent. This assault took my opponent by complete surprise, and ruined his entire strategy. Someone even took a picture on a camera phone at the sight of it. He moved his infantry up closer to try and help the bikers, but when his turn was over, nothing was left, and those infantry (now out of cover) is staring at all of these models locking and loading.

If you were wondering, I lost 4 drones in that combat.

My 6 Fire Warriors have killed 4 Space Marines with a charge, a wounded Demon Prince, Swooping Hawks, Guardians, and Jetbikes. The same 6 FW killed 7 Dark Eldar Scourages after charging them, after another 6 helped with a second charge. They have also held up 11 Hormagaunts in close combat for 2 turns so the Stealthsuits counter-charged, killing them all off.

These aren't freak accidents--they happen way too often for that.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 11:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Marksman
If I didn't assault those bikers, I probably would've lost the game
I just lost the game.

Anyways, brilliant stuff there Colonel, shall have to try that out in my next game (although I'll have to remove the 'o's bodyguard & Drone, as his current setup is actually illegal [[size=6pt]what with VRT being Monats without Drones & all][/size]). Never really thought about assaulting to stop your troops being shot at...
Old 04 May 2009, 12:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Grim
Quote:
You mean foreign language codex don't have those wierd names for special rules... *sigh* yet another reason to move overseas.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote