Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Piranha tactica
Old 01 May 2009, 08:21   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Piranha tactica

Ok so i have noticed that people don't seem to like the Piranha so i thought i would write a tactica for it.

First off let me get the down side out of the way yes like everything in the codex the Piranha is overpriced. It should be about 40 points before upgrade's.

Now for the upside's
1- Its fast very fast, if you don't want to shoot then you can move upto 24" a turn. That's very handy for last turn objective rushing, yes you cant hold the objective but you can contest it so your opponent get's no points for it either. It also makes getting to the rear of enemy vehicles very simple your opponent will have a hard time protecting there tank's. This trick works very well with seeker missile's (more on them later). You also get a 4+ save if you move flat out.

2-Versatile. You can arm your Piranha with anti-horde or anti-tank weapons. Against GEQ'S you can get 5 S5 shots per turn or against vehicles you have a S8 melta weapon and 2 S5 shots(good against rear armour of most things). The fusion blaster can also deal with TEQ'S and MEQ'S effectively and the chance (ok very small chance) of causing a pinning test with the carbines can be useful.

3-Drones. You get 2 of these little flying disk's of death for free that can be kept attached as a secondary weapon that can fire even when it moves 12" or can be dropped off to form there own unit. I'm not going to go into the pro's and con's of drones here as they are discussed on other threads but if you take off the cost of the 2 drones you end up with a cheap fast skimmer.

4-Squadron. Yes you can take 5 of these little fish as 1 fast attack slot and as they are skimmers the rules for vehicle squad's are better for us than most. If you get a shaken result on a damage roll you can ignore it and if you get a immobalized result you are destroyed which is not a extra drawback as you would probably be destroyed by it for moving fast anyway. Taking a squadron also gives you a 10 strong drone team for free.

Now lets look at the upgrades you can put on them.
-Sensor spines- Ignore this as the true LOS rules have made it worthless.
-Targeting array- +1 BS for such a cheap price is almost a no brainer i put this on every vehicle i can.
-Blacksun filter- Again rendered mostly useless by 5th ED but if you are playing a special game with night rules it can be useful.
-Flechette discharger- Very good against GEQ'S not much use against MEQ's or TEQ's
Decoy launchers- Again a little bit nerffed in 5th but can still sometimes be useful take this if you have spare points or are in squadron's.
-Disruption pod- In my mind this is a must have on every vehicle a 50/50 chance to ignore any incoming hit from over 12" is amazing especialy at the cost i expect this to be hit hard in the next codex.
-Target lock- This is pointless the vehicle only has 1 gun the drones are transported troop's so may shoot independantly.
-Seeker missile- Now this is what makes the Piranha really shine in my eyes as they hit the facing closest to the Piranha not the markerlight and may be fired even if you moved flat out.

Tactics this is a trick i use myself i have seen it on other post's as well but i will put it here again.

-Feeding Frenzy-
This works best if you take multiple Piranha's but can be done with just 1.
On your first turn move flat out across the board so that you are either beside or behind your opponent's tanks. Now light them up with markerlight's and fire off seekers into weaker armour hopefully taking out a few light vehicle's or atleast stunning them. Now because you moved flat out you have a 4+ save against all incoming fire so it will take a lot to bring you down. If you do lose any Piranha's in your opponent's turn you have to disembark the gun drones to form a squad.
In your next turn either drop the drones or if they have already dropped just move them seperately, now your Piranha's can go off behind enemy tanks or expensive TEQ'S squad's and use there fusion blasters to rip through what ever gets in your way. The drone's can go off and harass another unit or even shoot at the rear armour of vehicles (got to love those S5 guns). If you put the drones about 1" behind an enemy squad then after you shoot them make your assault move 6"back towards your own troops putting the drones between the 2 forces now your opponent either has to move around them ( you can move through an enemy unit) or stay behind them. If they move around then they lose the chance to fire at full range and if they stay still they either have to shoot the drones or the drones give cover to anything they do shoot at through them. Even if you lose all the drones who cares they were free anyway (unless your playing a KP game then this would be bad). In all probability you will lose your Piranha's in turn 2 but will have by that point caused far more damage and confusion in your opponent and if any do survive they can just keep harassing what ever you like or just move flat out to get away then swoop in to contest objectives in the last turn.

I hope you find this useful.
Darth Da Myr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 14:32   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Piranha tactica

I believe you are wrong on the drones firing independently. I've heard otherwise here, I'll get back with the appropriate rules after work.
Bavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 15:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Is it one 10-drone strong team, or five 2-drone strong teams?
I can honestly say that if ML's were changed to Assault 1 that there would be an entire sub-set of Tau players ruining the front of their pants while an entire group of opponents would be ruining the back of their pants.
Mister Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 15:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If the drones came off a single unit of 5 piranhas, then they'd form a 10-member squadron and vice-versa in the case of separate piranhas.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 20:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu

Another tactic I use with Pirahna's (I have 3 - thank you Megaforce) is what I call Rushing or Swooping, you just move Flat Out towards the enemy, causing them to panic, so they focus all their fire on them, or if they don't focus their firepower on them, they are in trouble anyway, 3 Meltaguns (with Drones attached).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 21:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I believe you're wrong about the sensor spines as well.

The way I read it in my codex we can opt to use them to actually enter the terrain rather than hover over it and receive that terrain pieces cover save in return. As an added bonus you won't ever take dangerous terrain checks.

The drones aren't actually passengers in the normal sense, the Tau codex explains further but the important thing to remember is that when one of the vehicles weapons can fire then the Drones may fire as well. No matter what.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2009, 11:03   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The sensor spines do say that you can enter the cover but the Rule book clearly states that vehicles never gain cover from being in it only if 50% of the model is obscured.
Old 03 May 2009, 08:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Da Myr
The sensor spines do say that you can enter the cover but the Rule book clearly states that vehicles never gain cover from being in it only if 50% of the model is obscured.
Except the spines say you can gain the benefit of the cover your "landing" in. Codex overrules the BOB in this case.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2009, 08:40   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Quote:
Except the spines say you can gain the benefit of the cover your "landing" in. Codex overrules the BOB in this case.
Every other bit of Tau wargear is overruled by the BOB so why is this bit different.
Old 03 May 2009, 08:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Quote:
Yes, you can use the cover of the difficult terrain, if it Obscures the tank! All it says is that you can use it, but vehicles are limited by the cover they can use, there are no ifs ands or buts about it. If I want cover, I'm better off relying on Disruption Pods than Sensor Spines, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
Charistoph is offline   Reply With Quote