Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Regional Manager of GW Western Canada dismissed FoF as "abusing game mechanics"
Closed Thread
Old 07 Jun 2005, 06:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Robogem Send a message via MSN to Robogem
Default Regional Manager of GW Western Canada dismissed FoF as "abusing game mechanics"

I had a recent talk with the GW regional Manager at West Edmonton Mall, and we were talking about Tau. When I told him about one good strategy in which you would transport your guys within twelve inches of your opponent and rapid fire, but using the transport, drones, and one inch spacing rule so the opponent could not assault next turn... well...

He said that he wouldn't want to play anyone who abused game mechanics like that.

What do you guys think? (btw he does play a Tau army so its not like he's only clinging to the bosom of SMurfs)
A hero is only a hero when he or she takes incredible risks. If you prod a tiger with a stick from behind six inches of body armor and an impenetrable shield of force you're not a hero, you're just a jackass.
[/size]
Old 07 Jun 2005, 06:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Regional Manager of GW Western Canada dismissed FoF as "abusing game mechani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robogem
I had a recent talk with the GW regional Manager at West Edmonton Mall, and we were talking about Tau. When I told him about one good strategy in which you would transport your guys within twelve inches of your opponent and rapid fire, but using the transport, drones, and one inch spacing rule so the opponent could not assault next turn... well...

He said that he wouldn't want to play anyone who abused game mechanics like that.

What do you guys think? (btw he does play a Tau army so its not like he's only clinging to the bosom of SMurfs)
that don't seem right i think that a great way to play it not cheesy at all

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 07 Jun 2005, 07:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Regional Manager of GW Western Canada dismissed FoF as "abusing game mechani

The way I see it, it could be a very well coordinated strike, in which the skimmer raises into the air, to open a field of fire, then lowers to a few feet above the ground, preventing any charges.

Hell, I'd say it's pretty kosher, and a strategy worth fielding, and defending on the battlefield of rules griping, race myopia, and other argumentative funfests. ^-^
Old 07 Jun 2005, 09:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Regional Manager of GW Western Canada dismissed FoF as "abusing game mechanics"

Quote:

I completely agree with him, although this topic has already been discussed previously (Validity of the FOF tactic) check out this topic:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=6734.0

It basically says the same thing the GW regional store manager said but with defence as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 07 Jun 2005, 09:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Regional Manager of GW Western Canada dismissed FoF as "abusing game mechanics"

And using Fleet of Claw/Land Raider rushes in games with a 18" setup distance isn't abusing the game mechanics?

I think he's taking it far too seriously. The two things I mentioned above are far far far more deadly the the FoF ever could be, yet they are considered perfectly fair despite thus being able to assault on turn one!

Even if it is abusing the game mechanics, it's not abusing the fluff at all. Tau are supposed to be a highly mobile army, who use lightning strikes against their opponants to cripple them, before withdrawing to avoid a war of attrition. In the fluff they NEVER just 'line up and shoot', which is what every single Tau army in WD has ever done. To them a static defense is a last resort of an incompetant commander.

Says something, really.

~Andromidius
Old 07 Jun 2005, 11:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

fluffwise, the fish of fury would represent a devilfish moving forward, under covering fire, spraying the enemy with the burst cannon to make them keep their heads down while the fire warriors dismount, throw photon grenades etc to cover their descent, lie down, pick their targets, and kill them. a precision strike.

you just have to think how something that happens in the game would occur in "reality".

its as valid a tactic as anything else.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 07 Jun 2005, 12:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Exactly, whereas a turn 1 charge from a Land Raider rush or leaping Tyranids would never happen in real life since the Fire Warriors would be firing as they charge towards them, not standing around like muppets waiting to be torn limb from limb.

~Andromidius
Old 07 Jun 2005, 13:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
I had a recent talk with the GW regional Manager at West Edmonton Mall, and we were talking about Tau.* When I told him about one good strategy in which you would transport your guys within twelve inches of your opponent and rapid fire, but using the transport, drones, and one inch spacing rule so the opponent could not assault next turn... well...

What do you guys think?* (btw he does play a Tau army so its not like he's only clinging to the bosom* of SMurfs)
1) Yes, it is abusing game mechanics. That does not make it wrong.

2) He is entitled to his opinion, let him have it.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Old 07 Jun 2005, 13:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Thunder
1) Yes, it is abusing game mechanics.* That does not make it wrong.

2) He is entitled to his opinion, let him have it.
I agree completely.

Furthermore, it's not even terribly useful. I don't know why everyone gets so excited about it... :
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 07 Jun 2005, 13:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1

The FoF is just powergaming for Tau. Most other armies are old enough for those who play them to have come up with equally mechanic abusing strategies. I'm sure this is just the first of the Tau's! ........ Mwuahahahahaha!

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

Closed Thread