Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dh/SoB vs tau
Old 28 Apr 2009, 15:55   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Dh/SoB vs tau

how does a player that play Dh or Sob beat tau in a 1v1 1500/2000 point game on a regular 4x4 or 4x6 foot table ?
Shoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2009, 16:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Dh/SoB vs tau

Depends on a lot of factor and at 1500/2000 points we are dealing with a 4x6 table.

First: What are the lists? What kind of Tau Mech, hybrid or Static? the Hunters or sisters, what type of list are they?
Second: What kind of terrain/cover is on the table.

Without knowing this at least we cannot really reply.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2009, 16:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoke
how does a player that play Dh or Sob beat tau in a 1v1 1500/2000 point game on a regular 4x4 or 4x6 foot table ?
If you are sisters of battle then you definately want 3 Exorcists. And one land raider dedicated to the inquisitor or commisar or whatever he is.

Go first and get really lucky with your exorcists before they get destroyed

Well, that's a start anyway. Because when I play against SOB my first targets are those damn exorcists that have the potential to ruin my day.
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2009, 17:54   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yeah i supose it would help to precise what i play against . he plays a hybrid force that uses hammerhead / skyray , 3-6 crisis suits and just about 3 full packs of fire warriors +1 broadside

this is what im expecting to play against

i run different list depending on my games . i plan to play Dh against him something like this

hq ~ grandmaster + 4 termie retenue / psyhood
2 squads of 8 Stroopers with each having a single plasma and melta for some anti tank
3 squads of 5 Gk
1 squad of 6 gk with psycanon
10 seraphim / 2 inferno pistol
1 inquisitior / scourge power

i dont have my codex since im at work but that gives more or less a 1500 force i belive
to get up to 2000 id probably use 2 dreads +1 landraider and say... a purgation squad of 4 flamers or 4 psy.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 20:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

As a Tau and as a SOB player, I would suggest some armor.

You have a lot of foot troops, of which the Tau player will happily pour all his fire power into.

52 models that he can take that Hammerhead and pour pie plates into or use an Ionhead and just melt through your armor. You have little to stop it. You have a few guns to kill the tank, but if the Tau player is smart, he's using Disruption pods and that will half your chances to making a good hit, not to mention the standard problems of getting through the armor. If he puts burst cannons on the Skyray, two markerlights and six str 5 shots on a tank that, again you don't have much to kill it with.

Secondly, Imaybe it's me, but you really can not hit the Tau at long range with any real force. Might I suggest some sort of transport to make the Tau player worried of an assault. Assult is suppose to be the bane of Tau, but personally, any team you get to assault is so weakened, I left it there as a speed bump. I could just imagine what would happen if a Grey Knight group got up and personal with my Tau gun line.

At 2K points, you will add in a Land Raider and a couple of dreadnaughts. Might I suggest instead a couple of Rhinos to run the gun line down. If he uses Devilfish then to move the gun line, it is at least not shooting at you.

Exocists are your friends. Hit hard, hit fast, throw in the kitchen sink and a shoe if you have to.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2009, 21:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

As I said before. You definately need 3 exorcists.
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2009, 22:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I play quite regularly against Pure SOB and my regular opponent has developed a quite interesting Army for my Tau to play.

Mech Sisters are of limited use against Tau, they are basically riding around in a AV 11 Coffin (No one eats Tanks better than Tau)....(well the new Imperial Guard Codex does, but that's another issue :P )

The Army my opponent now plays is Sisters Footslogger Army, combined with faith Points its very very effective!

His List normally runs something like this.

HQ
Cannoness and Celestine's in a Immolater (normally all with Flamers).

Troops

4 Units of 14/15 Battle Sisters (Probably the best basic Infantry in the game) with a Vet, Book of St Lucious (Unmodified Leadership) and Eviscirator.

2 of the Units normally have a Flamer and Heavy Flamer

2 have two Melta's

Heavy.

3 x Exorcist.

Basically he has 4 Scoring Units in a 1500 Point game and only 10 KP's on the Table.

The Large Sisters Units are very resilient, a 3+ Save and Unmodified Leadership of 10 (while the Vets alive, and its hard to pick the Vet from a unit of 15 Sisters).

Put them on an Objective and its hard to shift them, and they have a nasty little trick up there sleeves when you get close - 26 Rapid Firing Bolter shots, and 2 Heavy Weapons (Melta's or Flamers). Then add Faith Points and Divine Guidance, suddenly not only are those 26 shots firing and hitting on 3's - when they roll to wound any 6's go AP1 ....Ouch. 26 Shots, 17. 3 Hit and when rolling to wound at least 3 of those shots are likely to be AP1 (maybe even more!) plus in the melta units 2 more AP1 shots.

The one plus point is they aren't great in CC (Crisis Suits and Kroot can and will beat them) but at laying down deadly short to medium range fire its hard to match them.

The Exorcists can create massive amounts of damage at long range, if you roll well its a potential to fire 18 AP1 strength 8 Missiles in a turn!! - If you get first turn with these you can pretty much destroy any unit of Broadsides/Suits/Tanks etc you choose -and remember you can move 6 and fire, so you can hide a bit if you are going second and still drive out and fire. To be fair its the only effective long range fire the Sisters have as well! Take 3!

The Immolater Cannoness and Retinue work as a sort of rapid reaction force, lending support when its needed.

Combine this army with Faith Points and it is very tough to beat, and excels as an all comers list!.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 22:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

Hold everything in reserved and have lots of deepstriking powerweapons. That will ensure he has a very bad day. Back when i was playing tau the one thing I feared most was deepstriking and outflanking Close combat teams. Sure SoB can't instant kill the XV8's but when your charging and hitting on 3+ with power weapons they're sure not going to just shrug that off.

The best advice I can give you is have at least one Deepstriking/outflanking Close combat unit ready to hit from reserve, and harras them with it. Sometimes that which is not yet on the field can scare your opponent into making a mistake. Say you have an outflanking unit with power weapons, that might prompt the tau player to pull away from the board edge, and into range and sight of your big guns (still not a very effective form of killing Disruption pod equipped tanks) Basically just nudge them along with the "threat" of what you have in reserve" it it deepstrikes, they'll probably want to keep their tanks near dangerous terrain and have a small arc of sight due to blocking terrain, you can then use that as a way to snake your way into close combat.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2009, 14:30   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i thank you all for the replies and help regarding finding the weakness in tau.

i do not own 3 exorcist at the moment.. or even 1 for that matter so ill proxy them by having stand in leman russ on the table and see how that rolls

i see a lot of suggestions based on a SoB army so im wondering if anyone has suggestion for the option limited Dh. deepstriking is their speciality that i can understand but deepstriking also has many risk of killing your own units
Old 29 Apr 2009, 16:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

LOL ;D I wouldn't say that we showed Tau weaknesses. More like tried to even the playing field.

Even with three exorcists, you stand to lose two of them to the rail guns in the first turn. Tau like to eat tanks and they are rather good at it with a nice str 10 ap1 shot. An Exorcist with a missile hit requires you roll a four to glance, a five to penetrate. The Tau player will have a cover save. (Let's face it, what Tau player does not put Disruption Pods on his tank?) Those are stiff odds against you killing the hammerhead and better odds he will kill the Exorcist. Trust me, the Exorcists will be my first target.

I like my "Girls", but my "Fishys" are tough customers. My gaming group will not let me play my Tau any longer in competative games.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote