Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau + Chaos?
Old 27 Apr 2009, 22:26   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tau + Chaos?

Hi all,
I'm new to tau (and haven't actually started my army yet), but i like to write stories for my armies, just little bits of fluff to explain how my HQ came to be or what my theme is. I'm just wondering what the consensus is on chaosy tau. I know that tau don't register in the warp because they have no psychic ability, but does this actually mean that tau couldn't be corrupted by the gods at all? Just trying to come up with an interesting idea for my army, so all input is welcome.

Thanks
-Beoro
Beoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2009, 22:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tech_Marine
Default Re: Tau + Chaos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoro
Hi all,
I'm new to tau (and haven't actually started my army yet), but i like to write stories for my armies, just little bits of fluff to explain how my HQ came to be or what my theme is. I'm just wondering what the consensus is on chaosy tau. I know that tau don't register in the warp because they have no psychic ability, but does this actually mean that tau couldn't be corrupted by the gods at all? Just trying to come up with an interesting idea for my army, so all input is welcome.

Thanks
-Beoro
Hmmm.

If i recall, people are touchy on this subject :\

Personally i thought they have no presence in the warp, if its true, than no. The gods of chaos cannot corrupt them, i believe.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 23:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Um. I'm gonna be totally honest.

My reaction on reading this post was to say, out loud:

"Noooooo go away and die..."

And I'm on the phone to my girlfriend right now and she didn't like that out of the blue.

But.

She asked me why, and I told her, and what I'll say to you is what I said to her (yes, she plays, and therefore understands):

Chaos Tau can be done. It's generally a very, very bad idea. But there are ways of doing it, the problem arises when people do it wrong. You can't apply to Tau what you can to other races.

For example, to make any human army (Genetically modified or otherwise) Chaos all you need to do is have them traipse down the path to forbidden lore or have their leader get possessed and you're laughing. With Orks you can wrangle it so they worship Khorne rather than Gork or Mork, or they made a pact with Nurgle to avoid death so they could spend more time killing. Even with Eldar you can have them fall from grace once more and turn to random obsession, either over sorcery (Tzeentch), combat (Khorne) or even medicine (leading to Nurgle). Slaanesh doesn't really work, unless you've got a really nihilistic Eldar, so I guess you can kind of work it out.

With Tau none of these ways work. Tau can't turn to Chaos because they want to, because of the Greater Good. Tau also can't turn to Chaos due to a possessed leader, because they don't register in the warp so a Shas'O or an Ethereal can't get warp-nobbled by a Greater Daemon. To turn Tau to Chaos you need to think differently. Perhaps an artefact is discovered and brought to an Ethereal, and it whispers to him about a "spirit of the Greater Good" or something and it becomes influential in his policies because he believes it, which then influences his army positioning. Perhaps over time (This can happen to Tau, but it's a lot harder - it nearly happened to Kais in Fire Warrior) the daemon within works its way into the Ethereal's mind and it manifests psychic powers of some kind, or even mutation. This can then work its way down, perhaps through the pheromones Ethereals use to control Tau, and spread that way.

Then they would have to move out of the Empire, because otherwise they would be exterminated.

This isn't the only way, there are others, but you need to sit down and think about it rather than just saying "My Tau worship Chaos."
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2009, 00:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Its also not an original thought. Many peple have come up with the idea, and it usually has bad repocussions.
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2009, 01:50   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to come up with something more interesting and original.
And circus, thank you for the full breakdown.

-Beoro
Beoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2009, 01:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

It's original if you do it right =P

But what you should ask yourself is - why do I want to be original?

If you want to do something snazzy with the Tau that detracts from the very things that thematically make them Tau, you may well be better off with a different army.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2009, 02:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think there where some rumors about Farsight being influenced by Necron technology, but as Tau have no signature in the warp, they should be fairly safe from Chaos influences.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2009, 02:42   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

if you can get your hands on it read fire warrior-how i think it worked (and i could be entirely wrong was that the etherial (excuse spelling) was immune but the shas'la was able to be corrupted when he started to fall out of being content with just his part of the greater good and wanted to know more.
miniaturerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2009, 02:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

That said, there's no reason why Tau couldn't be corrupted "normally". Ie: the way you or I could get "corrupted" in the real world.

Tau have no warp presence, so any supernatural form of corruption just wouldn't work. But they can have their minds broken by horrific events, or their personalities warped by a combination of that and persistently bad advice. The problem is with that is it simply couldn't happen on a large scale. Such a process would take time, and I'm sure the Tau have mechanisms in place for dealing with mental instability or trauma well before it became an issue.

Another slant on it is you don't necessarily have to worship the Chaos Gods to be doing the bidding of Chaos. Take the Dark Eldar, for example. They sacrifice thousands of souls to Slaanesh every day, but still aren't "Chaos" in the traditional sense of the word. I think a story about an ordinary Tau cadre being led by a commander who's been duped or misled by Chaos (while still working within the Tau command structure) is better then an entire Cadre openly worshipping it.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2009, 03:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=78875.0

was the big forum debate over chaos tau where we hashed out bits of tau fluff and chaos until people got bored and ran out of ideas. If you look through it might have some bits you can take for model ideas or fluff ones.

Also on page 6 of the codex tau do register in the warp but it is only slightly.