Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fluffy question
Old 26 Apr 2009, 16:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Fluffy question

First Ill give some background information as to why this question have come up.

My most regular opponent will be IG (my best friend plays those) and his fluff is pretty basic. The short version is that they are from some small insigniffigant world in the middle of nowhere.
So my idea was to make a somewhat similar fluff for my army so to say that our armies are from 2 different planets but they are very close to eachother. (sort of to explain the same 2 commanders facing off against eachother time and time and time again)
First thing I decided was to have it be a human world that is under the juristiction of the Tau empire so any kroot I am going to include will be ''counts as kroot'' Cathachan's (they sort of look the part of +1WS, +1S, no armour humans)
The world itself is pretty much an airport, a gas station and a burger king out in the middle of nowhere.

Now I need a good background story for my commander and this is where my question pops up: On a scale of 1-10 where 1 being leaving the toilet seat up and 10 being blowing an Ethereal's head off just for the fun of it.
What kind of offense would be fitting to warrant an upcomming commander to be shipped off to spend his entire career commanding the defense of this place?

Now it must be severe enough to warrant some sort of punishment but not so bad that it would cost him his rank. I was thinking his crime being more lack of judgement than an intentionally wrong-doing.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 19:14   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Fluffy question

Or if the planet has something important it could be an honour to serve thee greater good on some back water.

But if you want a crime how about allowing the Ethereal leading his cadre to die.
Darth Da Myr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 19:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Purposely sacrificing Tau warriors in a last ditch attempt to win a battle where it was obvious they were doomed no matter what happened (the battle being doomed to lose). The ethereals wouldn't have liked that one at all.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 22:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't think any specific offense would have him shipped to an insignificant world. I think just being very unexceptional as a commander would do it. Or really annoying his superior officer.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 22:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would say that the ethereals placed him in command of that world becuase that is where he is best suited. Everyone performs their own part for the greater good, great or small. There shouldn't be any reason for him to have been sent there, other than he was the appropriate person for the job.

On the other hand if you want him to have a bit of a past, you could say that he doesn't value tau life very highly or his actions lead to unescesary casualties, so he is seen as a poor commander in the eyes of the Tau.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2009, 07:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

This is good stuff. And Ive come up with this after reading you guys replies:
His very first mission as commander his cadre was assigned to defend a flank. He abandoned his post pressing forward and carved in a wedge in the Ork ranks cutting a part of the Ork forces off from support. This forward assault allowed him and a small group of Fireknives to get a dirrect LoS to the Ork artillery.
His actions may have saved some Tau lives but the enemy could have very easily taken advantage of the Tau's exposed flank. His actions did not prove fatal as the Orks never managed to exploit the open flank, primarily caused by scrambled communication.

So my commander was sent off to a particular post that had just become available due to the unforseen event of a Shas'el commander getting blown up. My commander himself is uncertain if this secluded post was a punishment or a reward.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 07:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irtehdar
His very first mission as commander his cadre was assigned to defend a flank. He abandoned his post pressing forward and carved in a wedge in the Ork ranks cutting a part of the Ork forces off from support. This forward assault allowed him and a small group of Fireknives to get a dirrect LoS to the Ork artillery.
His actions may have saved some Tau lives but the enemy could have very easily taken advantage of the Tau's exposed flank. His actions did not prove fatal as the Orks never managed to exploit the open flank, primarily caused by scrambled communication.

So my commander was sent off to a particular post that had just become available due to the unforseen event of a Shas'el commander getting blown up. My commander himself is uncertain if this secluded post was a punishment or a reward.
yes that sounds good actually. very Vior'la i would say, your commander has an intense hatred of orks, or he believes in attacking over defending. but by abandoning his post he put many tau lives in danger. Being such a loose cannon makes him dangerous in the eyes of the ethereals, so when this other shas'el is killed (or retires) on the backwater planet, they kill two birds with one stone by assigning your commander there.

very nice, it provides for your commander to actually be quite a good leader, but perhaps too much of maverick. however, he could excel when he is in sole command. Good luck with your background, It's got good potential
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2009, 09:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:

I agree with this fluff, i think this background is pretty good. Gives you more options for your COmmander, I mainly like it because it shows that your commander isn't bad ,he's actually good, just a little reckless.
lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2009, 13:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
The world itself is pretty much an airport, a gas station and a burger king out in the middle of nowhere.
I lol'ed so hard, because that really formed a mental picture - an outpost in nowhere, a quiet, boring assignment for a Commander - yet suddenly, the neighbouring Imperials decide to make troubles, and the Tau forces have to prove that they're sheriff in town...

I like it.

The way I see it, you have a few options:

1) Experienced Commander on a "retirement position": Since the Tau military does not know a "retirement" as we do, it is entirely possible for an older Shas'El or 'O to be seconded to a quieter post after his prime time is over. This would be a "Dirty Harry" situation, when an old, experienced Commander suddenly has to command a band of inexperienced Shas'La against an Imperial invasion. Let's call this the "Aun'Shi"-approach

2) Unremarkable Commander for unremarkable position: Also thinkable, an average Commander with no distinguishing qualities whatsoever. Everyone wonders how he got promoted, and so he gets seconded to a world where not much at all happens. Unfortunately, the Imperials have other plans, and so he has to prove his worth after all.

3) Difficult Commander on the hold: Imagine a somewhat difficult Commander - someone like Brightblade, who has an affinity for Farsight, or who - for some other reason - has fallen out of favor - but not enough to court-martial him. Give him command of a garisson, ship him off with an understrength cadre to a backwater world... problem solved.

All of them offer quite a lot modelling options, and are perfectly acceptable backgrounds. Of course, there are many more options; feel free to go crazy (not TOO crazy, of course ).

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2009, 13:58   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Why does he have to do something wrong?

The Tau believe that everyone is important; from the Shas'O who commands the Tau across an entire sub-sector to the Shas'la fresh out of the academy. Each performs their duty as best they can.

As such, there would be no shame in guarding an 'insignificant backwater'. If the world is in danger, a garrison is needed. Sure it might not be glorious, but the Tau do not fight for glory. A Shas'El could live out the rest of his career quite contently guarding a planet that never saw battle, justifying it when questioned by saying "it is better to be too prepared, than not prepared enough."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote