Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

help vs eldar
Old 26 Apr 2009, 08:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default help vs eldar

ok heres my dilemma i versed my buddy who plays eldar twice the other day and both times he won

heres what happened turn 1-4 id shoot the living crap out of his avengers and wave serpents and nail a few rangers with JSJ and the frag gun.

but at turn 3-4 his spiders would get there and always deepstrike near my commander and kill 1 body guard, then his autarch who acompanied them would drop the other with his fusion gun so id have to focus fire on the spiders next turn so my commander would live on. both times id wipe em out in a 2 rounds of shooting. but while that happened his serpents would drop his scorps right at my feet then while i was focused on them his avengers would engage everything else so my hammerhead and broadside had no targets except for the serpent, and by the end of my next turn the tau had been slaughtered in cc.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

I know our armies have had their little differences in the past, but lets put this all behind us... JOIN US OR I'LL SHOVE A RAILGUN DOWN YOUR THROAT!!!- water caste negotiator in action.
partybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 09:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: help vs eldar

I would advise keeping your distance, if at all possible using any available cover and Shield Drones for your Commander, so that you may soak up any Instant Kill wounds by them.

Can the Eldar deep strike into difficult terrain? If not, use it to your advantage. Position yourself so that they risk scattering into some terrain, and they can only come from a certain direction, allowing you to prepare some welcoming comittee.

Use meatshields - such as the Kroot - to disallow assault on those precious shooty units (and give you a 4+ Cover Save at the same time). While the Kroot fight, retreat some and when the assault is over, unleash hell again with all barrels.

Enemy transports should be a priority target for anti-tank weaponry. Seeker Missiles or Battlesuit-mounted Missile Pods can do wonders against them. When the transported infantry hops out of the wrecked transport, mow them down with submunition and concentrated Pulse Rifle fire.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 10:38   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I'm starting to like the idea of kroot hounds, they would be good counter assault and if u toss in shaper and some kroot it would occupy the scorps a turn or two letting u aim some guns at them. or you could deep strike some units of your own to divert his forces while you deal with what he intends as a distraction. fusion basters in the middle of his army will get his attention.

good luck!
15Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 10:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I am not sure, but don't the Scorpions have I6 or somewhere around that?

During last tournament I had a charging unit of 10 Kroots and 5 Hounds wiped by them due to this.

Old 26 Apr 2009, 11:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
I am not sure, but don't the Scorpions have I6 or somewhere around that?

During last tournament I had a charging unit of 10 Kroots and 5 Hounds wiped by them due to this.
Yes, they do.

They're really good vs horde enemies.

(But not good versus my commander, lol - took them 3 turns to kill him!)
Old 26 Apr 2009, 14:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

From your description you have a couple fundamental problems: 1) scary warping Autach 2) scary scorpions in wave serpent.

Now under best case situations you have simple solutions to both. Like said previously deepstiking is dangerous, make it more dangerous by keeping expensive units near cover (you should like this idea anyway) or the board edge (cant be surrounded if your back is to the wall). Alternatively deepstrikers can't land on tanks, and the Tau chassis is kinda big. Warning, near board edge means that retreating is a problem, you are forcing your opponent to call your raise on this one.

Which leads me to another possible solution, the railgun. Its long range, so leave it back with your commander (harder to deepstrike now). This makes your commander arguably 'worse off'. Scorpions on the open while walking are much easier to deal with, you mentioned targeting the transports for first few turns, well, try and make sure that you hit fast things and powerful things. Avengers my be powerful, but lets try and find a counter for them instead of the scorpions and blow their transport up instead.

As mentioned Kroot hounds are an effective counter charge that are economically designed to take ranged attacks. True they would not beat scorpions in combat that well, but avengers?

In essence, pick your targets. Against your units available, scorpions are more effective than avengers, so kill them first, you have the range and the firepower. make it difficult for his warpspiders to get close to you, perhaps try a denied flank corner fight (huddle your units in one corner of the board to force known firing lanes). I think eliminating CC threats first should let your fare better in the future.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 15:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu

Striking Scorpions only have I5, however, their Exarch has I6, so he will strike before even the Kroot hounds.

If you have/get Kroot, I recommend a shaper, as at least Kroot will get an armour save (6+ is better than no armour save).

Here is the MathHammer for Scorpions (6) vs Kroot (16)

Scorpions charge and strike first:

24 Attacks - 12 Hit.
12 Hits - 8 Wound
8 Kroot Dead (6.666 if given armour)

Kroot (8 left) Strike back:

16 Attacks - 8 Hit.
8 Hits - 5.333 Wounds
5.333 Wounds - 1.777 Unsaved
1.777 Scorpions Dead.

If you did get a Shaper then you might be able to kill 2 (or more if the Dice Gods are with you) of his Scorpions, then it would take his Scorpions another couple of rounds to kill the Kroot, giving you plenty of time to back off and get ready to shoot the... well... shoot him to pieces.

Hope this helps.

- LordZanuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 15:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, if the Exarch has a Power Weapon or something else denying Armour Saves, your chances are even worse even with the Shaper.

And if the player takes a certain special character, Phoenix or something, that guy has quite a lot of attacks...

If you lose combat by 5-6 wounds, you are nearly guaranteed to fall back, unless you roll a double 1.

Old 26 Apr 2009, 16:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to pepin0329

Scorpions are I5, just checked, the Exarch is I6.
A Tau's best friend (with the exception of the codex).
pepin0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 17:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu

If your opponent does decide to take a Phoenix Lord, shoot it before it gets anywhere near your lines.
The Scorpion (Karandras) one is I7 and gets 8 Powerfist attacks on the charge, that means Instant Death to anything in a Tau army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote