Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

gun drones as shields?
Old 25 Apr 2009, 22:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default gun drones as shields?

I'm not sure if I understood this right but similar to how the fish of fury tactic works if you have two units, one blocking line of sight to the other your enemy has to take a target priority test? ( I'm not sure if that's what its called.) So if you detached the gun drones from a devilfish and say put them in front of a hole in cover then your devilfish could drive past that hole a lot safer? Since the drones would be the contest for shooting its a good chance your devil fish would do just fine?

Two drones really aren't that big of a shield but I play mechanized so if I dropped off six or eight drones and make a wall out of them this might be a viable tactic if it works like I understand.

whatchya think?
15Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2009, 22:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: gun drones as shields?

It seems a reasonable strategy, although those drones will be taking up quite a few points just to stop a bit of damage, you're better off adding some upgrades to the DF
lolzoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2009, 23:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

Sorry mate, but target priority doesn't exist anymore. During 4[sup]th[/sup] Edition that tactic would've worked fine (although many anti-tank weapons are on vehicles which would pass the test automatically).

Not sure if I remember correctly, but I think you need at least half of the vehicle to be obscured from the shooting unit's line of sight for it to gain a cover save. But Gun Drone shields can be used quite effectively for your infantry instead.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 08:25   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

BUMMER! Well I didn't intend to buy a gun drone team just detach the ones that are already on the DF. Well maybe
I'll use them as a shield for advancing kroot hounds or something of the kind. is there any way a FW team could shoot through the gun drones since they hover? Prolly not but I know they can shoot under the DF because of the FoF stat.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 09:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You can shoot through any unit, friendly or enemy, as long as TLOS can be drawn through it.

However, any such unit gives the target infantry 4+ Cover Save. In case of vehicles as a target, if the intervening unit hides over 50% of the vehicle, it counts as obscured (4+ Cover Save as well).

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 10:30   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Oh so it would be a pretty nifty trick with kroot hounds then because they don't get much of a save regardless.

Pretty cool idea thanks for answering my query.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 20:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Though this is slightly off topic, I must say that the chassis of the gun drone makes a great shield generator for a crisis suit. The title of the topic reminded me. Also, I wrote out something similar to this tactic that came in handy in a game a couple weeks back http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=81876.0.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2009, 20:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

I have also used gun drones to prevent other stuff form being assaulted that is more valuable like crisis suits or fire warriors. However if you are using them to screen the LOS is drawn in the shooting phase and you can move them in front after the assault phase.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 01:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

GUndrones are good as (if not so cheap) shields if your using a mechanised list. Drones can fly infront or to the side of armoured ground to prevent units with power fist charging em!
Old 27 Apr 2009, 17:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Dumb question somewhat related to this topic - "You can shoot through any unit, friendly or enemy, as long as TLOS can be drawn through it."
So I can fire on a unit of space marines standing in the open if my Devilfish is between them and my fire warriors, because the fire warriors could see the SM by looking under the skimmer, but could not fire on those same SM if they were completely obscurred by standing behind a Rhino?
That's what I've been doing so far, unloading my FW out the back of the 'fish and giving/taking the 4+ cover save when applicable to a target that said 'fish is parked in front of, but wanted to make sure I was doing it right; and that someone could not return the favor with a blocky, ground based tank style vehicle.

The Devilfish also does a nice job of blocking frontal assaults in that situation, forcing any would-be attackers to "go around" (and add precious inches to the required distance).
Daeghrefn is offline   Reply With Quote