Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

anti land raider crusader trick
Old 06 Jun 2005, 18:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default anti land raider crusader trick

OK, i was thinking the other day. shocking, i know. Me. thinking? third sign of the apocalype!

Nah, seriously, i was thinking of a game i had- recon- against space wolves. I went up against a land raider crusader, 13 blood claws-3 powerfists = wolf guard leader-power weapon and rune priest-frost blade. my railguns missed, and he was in my lines by turn2.

Looking back, it should never have been allowed legaly. and then my evil brain thought of an even more sinister tactic against land raiders, and their 15 strong assault units (or 8 terminators). its more for humour, and fun, and i'd love to try it out but don't take this as your primary anti-land raider-tactic.

OK, first things first- stopping them hitting your lines by turn 2. chances are, turn 1 sees him popping smoke, moving 12", and you might shake or stun it. turn 2-3 sees him moving the rest of the way and discorging the troops, who assault you. grr. heres the trick. before he gets to assault range (ideally 13"- 18") hit him ith a railgun, and hope to the burning marsupials of buddah that you inflict a penetrating hit. his guys HAVE to disembark. so, in his turn, he wont want them in the open. he could use a land raider screen and keep them behind it, or hopefully, he'll mount up again, and charge 12" towards you, keeping his guys nice and safe in an armoured belly, anf then he tries to assault. but wait! he can't! he embarked, and therefore can't disembark in the same turn. you've bought yourself time. even if he uses a raider shield (the less favourable tactic) you've bought yourself time.

So, a trick to kill everything in the raider. its tricky to pull off, but in thr above situation, where he's in that tantalising 6" away from a fire warrior squad position, is PERFECT. other units can do the job, but they have to be 8 strong. its simple. move your unit to surround the front half of the raider. spread them out to FULL 2" distance from each other, and MAKE SURE they are ALL EXACTLY 1" from the raider. Make sure ALL the escape hatches are covered. hit the thing with the railgun again and hope to the castrated monkey gods of gondor that you roll a penetrating hit. result is he MUST disembark his 15 guys. unfortunately for him, they're automatically killed ( ;D), as no model may disembark within 1" of an enemy model. and you'e covered all the exits. there is NOWHERE for him to go. your fire warriors, have killed 400+ points, in allprobability without firing a shot. then as a bonus you get to roll on the damage table. maybe the raider goes boom as well! over 650 points dead, in theory. just hope you don't roll a 6, or your fire warriors will more than likely take a wound from the explosion.

its a vicious, and supremely EVIL trick, though perfectly legal and will be insanely hard to pull off, but if you do, it will go down in the history books. its fun, and the look on the other guys face will be priceless. the trick to this really is (ab)using the lesser known transport rules to your advantage, as well as supremely good timing, luck and positioning.

thats it, in theory, and i think im right on all the little rules.
try it out, and hope the gods smile on you.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2005, 18:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: anti land raider crusader trick

Deadnight:

As I suspected from this thread where I commented on you statement. As there are other ways to do it as well. Typically, mounted firewarriors and 2 broadsides will do it most reliably, but it's a also a good idea to consider 2 squads, one of stealthsuits and one of devilfish mounted firewarriors, backed by the railgun. That way you can easily and safely surround a tank with a 12 inch move, or put a few small lines of 10x Kroot squads back to back that he will be forced to "tank shock" to go through them, or waste his movement to be able to fire upon them with the landraider. If you really want a challenge though, as I mentioned in the previous thread (I'm no sure you saw my comment to you), you could employ EMP grenades to attempt the same result, though it is of course far less likely to happen. You could also use gundrones and stealthsuits to attempt this, to avoid a bad stun on the Devilfish as they're seen as harmless to the land raiders of course.

I've never seen it work with a land raider, simply because it requires a lot of risk and luck, but I've seen rhinos utterly destroyed in this manner, which was always a beautiful thing (and I've done it to rhinos). Quite a nasty trick now that rhino rush is dead, when they pull up close and get swamped by disembarking fire warriors and stealths, who also are the ones to inflict the single penetrating hit that manges to remove all the contents of the iron box. Happy times...

Cheers!
Old 06 Jun 2005, 18:45   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

<shakes his head>

Dead, that is positively evil. Remind me not to piss you off.

Good luck getting it to work.
Sightline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2005, 18:45   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yeah I know about that one only I neve thought about using tau with as well. *The varient I heard was for eldar/dark eldar. Same thing only it's eaiser with the viper bikes boost 24 inches and have the full 4 inches coherrency and cover all three exits then blow it up. *>
Old 06 Jun 2005, 18:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightline
<shakes his head>

Dead, that is positively evil.* Remind me not to p**s you off.

Good luck getting it to work.
heehee. thanks! ;D i am truly honoured.

Mal, i should have mentioned that it works just as well for transports, and you can use other units, like the stealths, and gun drones you mentioned. i didn't mention them, as i never play those units in 1500 points. To me, a 1500 tau comprises kroot, fire warriors, and hammerheads. thanks for filling it out though- its appreciated.

and EMP grenades?? they'd probably work even better, but i never use the damn things, and the "stand outside the door, and put headshots into all the screaming marines as they jump out" and kill over 600 points of his army plan that i came up with is just too damned EVIL to pass up on.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 06 Jun 2005, 19:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

mmmm, yes, I too suspected this is what you were referring to. I've done this before using a Devilfish to block the front hatch and two "free" units of 2 Gun Drones to block the side hatches.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2005, 20:54   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

The trick, I guess, is the same as it always is: penetrating the Land Raider. If you can hurt it earlier, it may never reach your lines in the first place. Crusaders don't run all that heavily armed. Blocking the hatches on a Land Raider is more a damage-control maneuver than something you should actively be trying to pull off. If you have three or four Railguns lined up then go for it. If you don't, what is probably going to happen is that the Land Raider is going to move back 6", unload everybody, and then open up on your flankers with most of its weapons. Any survivors will be butchered by the subsequent assault. I would save this idea for Rhinos unless you find yourself in a very desperate situation.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2005, 22:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

do it for fun khanaris! where's your adventurous spirit??

Old 06 Jun 2005, 22:09   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
do it for fun khanaris!* where's your adventurous spirit??
Heh.* I have pulled it off, actually, although not against a Crusader and not fully-loaded.* ** It was very fun.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2005, 22:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to tolson88 Send a message via MSN to tolson88

y'know, everybody says that Rhino Rush is dead. It's not, in point of fact. The trick is, once your within assault range, you have a guy pop out of the top of the Rhino and fire his assault weapon. The vehicle now counts as open topped. you can assault out of an open topped vehicle, right? The problem is: no razorbacks or land raiders (no fire points, so no popping out to make it open topped) however, rhinos and deep striking termies still are fearsome, so beware.