Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot hounds = Lord Of The Rings Warg riders
Old 24 Apr 2009, 02:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Kroot hounds = Lord Of The Rings Warg riders

I noticed in the back of the new White Dwarf that Lord Of The Rings Warg Riders would make a great stand in for Kroot hounds. They are plastic. They are cheaper. And they look better.

They are big dogs with little goblin guys riding on them. I bet if you use them without their little goblin riders then they would make a wonder alternative to the metal, expensive kroot hound.
I'm definately going to purchase a set soon to see if the scale is close enough. Definately like the look of the model. I'm not a big fan of the look of kroot hounds.

Looks like the retail price for 6 Warg Riders is 25$. That's 11$ cheaper than 6 kroot hounds.

*edit*
sorry if this is in the wrong forum. mabye a mod can move it if that is the case.
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2009, 03:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Kroot hounds = Lord Of The Rings Warg riders

Care to post a pic before this gets moved/deleted? :P
Old 24 Apr 2009, 03:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattv2099
I noticed in the back of the new White Dwarf that Lord Of The Rings Warg Riders would make a great stand in for Kroot hounds. They are plastic. They are cheaper. And they look better.

They are big dogs with little goblin guys riding on them. I bet if you use them without their little goblin riders then they would make a wonder alternative to the metal, expensive kroot hound.
I'm definately going to purchase a set soon to see if the scale is close enough. Definately like the look of the model. I'm not a big fan of the look of kroot hounds.

Looks like the retail price for 6 Warg Riders is 25$. That's 11$ cheaper than 6 kroot hounds.

*edit*
sorry if this is in the wrong forum. mabye a mod can move it if that is the case.
I turned the wargs into Cavalry :3
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=82405.0
Foxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2009, 03:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxy
Quote:

*edit*
I turned the wargs into Cavalry :3
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=82405.0
Good job! those are great conversions.

Only problem is that it looks like the Wargs are not on the right size base! DOH. I guess they are too big to be kroot hounds.
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2009, 09:29   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Chaos warhounds are possibly an even better fill in for kroot hounds. They are $35 for 10, plus $6 for 10 25mm bases since they come with square ones. However they are less kroot-like in appearance as they are a bit chunky and they have horns.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

My name is Josh, i'm a christian and the most important thing in my life is knowing my creator and savior Jesus Christ. If you have any questions about christianity i'm happy to answer them.
joshau-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2009, 14:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Due to legality reasons, any conversions with lord of the rings parts are not tournament legal for ones hosted by GW, or at least that was the case last I checked. So be careful with that.
I can honestly say that if ML's were changed to Assault 1 that there would be an entire sub-set of Tau players ruining the front of their pants while an entire group of opponents would be ruining the back of their pants.
Mister Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2009, 14:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:

Good job! those are great conversions.

Only problem is that it looks like the Wargs are not on the right size base! DOH. I guess they are too big to be kroot hounds.
Thanks.
They have the same size base as crisis suits, but if I recall correctly, you're allowed to have larger bases for troops, but not smaller, so you should be fine with the warg bases.
Foxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2009, 00:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thats a great idea! Never even would have considered looking into the lord of the rings models. They do look pretty kroot-ish. If painted right, they can make killer kroot hound stand-ins. And if i plan on entering any Official GW tournaments ill take the monetary hit then, but for now and my friendly games they seem to be perfect.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 17:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

This is awesome. I was planning to do my Kroot as Humans (Catachans looks right for +1S, +1WS, no armour humans) but I had no fancy ideas for Kroot Hounds. I never considered looking into the LoTR range for models.
Old 06 May 2009, 03:20   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Kay
Due to legality reasons, any conversions with lord of the rings parts are not tournament legal for ones hosted by GW, or at least that was the case last I checked. So be careful with that.
Almost Necromancy. But she's still warm.

Does this rule apply to miniatures from the Warhammer Fantasy range as well? I've seen people do a lot of converting with Orks from Fantasy to 40k and bring it to tournaments. The reason I am asking is because I am considering turning these (with some converting) into Kroot Hounds:

These are plastic Vampire Counts Dire Wolves. They're plastic and come 10 to a box. I don't think it would be very difficult to modify them to fit on the same size base as the hounds fit on.
OPorKauyon is offline   Reply With Quote