Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Positional relay
Old 23 Apr 2009, 03:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Positional relay

I am just wondering if you can use positional relay to force no reserve arrival? Cause the rule is you can bring a single reserve into play for 2+, but can you actually say you want to use it stop any reserve from coming on? I don't think it's explained on the codex.

Old 23 Apr 2009, 03:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Positional relay

You can't use the Pos Relay to prevent anything from coming on.

You can only use it to limit what may appear. You could for example; DS a squad of GD's to prevent a useful unit like an XV-8 squad from the danger of getting fragged when it's unnecessary, increase odds of a unit of Outflanking Kroot arriving on Turn 2, etc... I say increase the odds because I've had a couple of times where even a 2+ has failed me :P...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2009, 03:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasel_Ahab
You can't use the Pos Relay to prevent anything from coming on.

You can only use it to limit what may appear. You could for example; DS a squad of GD's to prevent a useful unit like an XV-8 squad from the danger of getting fragged when it's unnecessary, increase odds of a unit of Outflanking Kroot arriving on Turn 2, etc... I say increase the odds because I've had a couple of times where even a 2+ has failed me :P...
It is really freaky, It seems that I always roll a 1 for my relay rolls on turn 3 super natrual almost ???
Old 23 Apr 2009, 05:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

What you can do is this. As you can limit yourself to one unit coming in from reserves each turn, you can deploy as such:
Turn 1: Deploy 1 positional relay commander
Turn 2: Deepstrike 5 gun drones
Turn 3: Deepstrike 5 gun drones
Turn 4: Deepstrike 5 gun drones
Turn 5: Everything comes in
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2009, 11:57   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I preffer to drop in my stealth teams in early, particularly if my opponent is spread out amongst several objectives.
Can't focus fire on what you can see

Seriously they're the "lone wolves" of the army for reason, might ass well let em earn the title for a few turns >
ShasO Corvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2009, 14:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherback
What you can do is this. As you can limit yourself to one unit coming in from reserves each turn, you can deploy as such:
Turn 1: Deploy 1 positional relay commander
Turn 2: Deepstrike 5 gun drones
Turn 3: Deepstrike 5 gun drones
Turn 4: Deepstrike 5 gun drones
Turn 5: Everything comes in
I do something very similar. I use Kroot to outflank instead of gun drones. I am not a fan of gun drones. At best they are a speed bump. Kroot and their dogs can actually kill stuff. Or they can run into a forest and when shot at they can go to ground.

But keeping on topic. You can either use your Positional Relay every turn or not. If you use the PR you roll for one chosen reserve unit. if you choose to not use your relay you have to make normal reserve rolles for every unit in reserve.
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2009, 16:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

I tend to go for 4 G.Drones. Tis cheaper after and they are only really being used to hold back the useful Suits. And it's considered an extra bonus if they DS behind an important/annoying Tank and blow it up. Like Bassies or Hell Hounds.

Actually played a 50/50 Hybrid/Ninja list the other day thought it went quite well actually.
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2009, 21:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I am abit stingy when it comes to buying 12/model sacrifical units :-\ I've tried using them as speed bumps before with 2 4 drone squads but the enemy tend to kill them too quickly for me to get away but it's probably got to do with my overall poor planning rather than the drones themselves :P
Old 23 Apr 2009, 21:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wu-Tang-Tau
I am abit stingy when it comes to buying 12/model sacrifical units :-\ I've tried using them as speed bumps before with 2 4 drone squads but the enemy tend to kill them too quickly for me to get away but it's probably got to do with my overall poor planning rather than the drones themselves :P

Kroot hounds are not sacrificial units. Played properly they are worth more points than you spend on them. I love rolling 36 dice before my oponnent attacks... And after my oponnents remaining models roll a few dice then my kroot will usually give me another 30 dice.

Kroot are amazing. You can theoretically get 96 attack dice on the charge.

My point is that gun drones are generally worthless sacrificial units, whereas kroot and their dogs get on the board and kill stuff.
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2009, 04:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't know about all this dislike of gun drones. The way I see them, they are highly mobile harassment units, and 5 of them costs a measly 60 points. As they are fully capable of taking down both light infantry and light vehicles (or heavy vehicles, if you can get to that AV10 rear armor), they can easily make their points back. Also, with an 18" range and a 6" assault jump, it is fairly easy to keep them out of assault. Honestly, their are too many uses for gun drone teams to name (one I have found nice is using them as mobile cover, jumping behind my vulerable kroot/fire warriors in the movement phase, and jumping back in front of them in the assault phase).

However, I usually do not take 3 gun drone teams. Instead, my deepstiking portion of the army will most likely look like this.

Turn 1: Deploy most models
Turn 2: Deepstrike a gun drone team
Turn 3: Deepstrike a heatwave
Turn 4: Deepstrike an Aurora Commander
Turn 5: Bring my remaining reserves (a kroot team) onto an enemy objective

But I digress. The point is, don't disregard gun drones. For 12 points, you effectively get the mobility of a crisis suit mixed with the fire power of a fire warrior.
Quote:
Kroot hounds are not sacrificial units. Played properly they are worth more points than you spend on them. I love rolling 36 dice before my oponnent attacks... And after my oponnents remaining models roll a few dice then my kroot will usually give me another 30 dice.
Kroot Hounds are amazing and their points cost is amazingly low. However, in $$, their price is amazingly high, limiting me to 6.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote