Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

crisis suits in combat
Old 23 Apr 2009, 02:50   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default crisis suits in combat

has anyone noticed that people bang on about tau being sh@#! in CC.

but crisis suits can actualy hold up in CC for a few turns

like the other day my crisis commander got charged by 10 assault marines and 2 turns later he ha killed 9 and caused the last one to flee off the table and only took 2 wounds

I know our armies have had their little differences in the past, but lets put this all behind us... JOIN US OR I'LL SHOVE A RAILGUN DOWN YOUR THROAT!!!- water caste negotiator in action.
partybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2009, 02:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: crisis suits in combat

If my commander gets in combat, it's with vehicles. If the Plasma and Missile pod don't accomplish anything, I hope that five attacks to the rear armour will do something. And if it gets destroyed, I have some cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2009, 03:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

The Commander is in all fairness a slower but stronger Marine. I send that prick into combat all the time and he can last anywhere from two turns to a whole game locked in combat. Granted it locks his usefulness but it also prevents the enemy from using their unit.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 03:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by partybus
has anyone noticed that people bang on about tau being sh@#! in CC.

but crisis suits can actualy hold up in CC for a few turns

like the other day my crisis commander got charged by 10 assault marines and 2 turns later he ha killed 9 and caused the last one to flee off the table and only took 2 wounds
I CALL SHENANIGANS!

LIES! ;D

I cant last one turn in combat with 5 marines, let alone 10. How does one break and run down a marine squad with the we shall know no rules rule, LIES! (in the small % chance the commander somehow keeps within 6 inches, those marines needed to commit suicide after that.)
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2009, 03:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah, I wouldn't gloat about crisis h2h prowess either... Once this single guardsman punched out one of my charging suit
Old 23 Apr 2009, 04:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

It's not that Tau can't perform in CC, it's that we have very little ('cept maybe a Shield 'O) that can actually count on winning CC. And even then, not against dedicated CC units.

You do have a point. With a little luck XV-... well, anythings, do okay in CC. I've had Stealth suits beat mobz a' Boyz, Broadsides beat Warbosses, and XV-8's kill of Necron Lords before (THAT was an event).

Even Firewarriors can do okay too, I can usually count on killing about 3~5 Orks if I get in CC and they've been weakened by shooting beforehand.

Like I said earlier though; we just can't pack the punch (pun intended) that other armies can in CC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2009, 05:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I agree. The Tau Crisis Suits can actually hold up in close combat against basic units. They do have a nice S5 and WS3 isn't that big of a deal because most of the time you need a 4+ anyway to hit someone if you had WS4. You also get A2 which is nice, a 3+ save and W2...so yeah I think they can hold their own but like every Tau player I would rather them fire their weapons instead of charging. I would only charge if it denied a objective or some sort of tactical charge move.
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2009, 10:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well the thing is all the weapons on the suit can be fired and then you can charge, so if you jumat them, blast them with your guns then charge you'll usually do alright, my crisis get stuck in quite often, mainly because people don't expect it. It's a good way to beat down those last few marines or help thin out guardsmen a bit more. Charging in a viable tactic, just make sure the numbers are on your side when you do.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 15:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you compare the stats of all basic troops and elites in the army list to those of other amies in the main rule book, you start to see why Tau are not so good at hand to hand. Its not that they are inept, they just suck compared to all others. Its just game balance though, since their shooting is so great. You cant have it all. If you want average at everything you should play Marines or maybe Orks. If you want melee you play Chaos or Nids. If you want shooting you play Tau or IG. If you want cheese you play Necrons or Eldar.

What I dont understand is the apparent lack of any melee weapons whatsoever. Not even a sharp stick. Fire Warriors need melee wargear and suits need optional power weapons or lances. Other melee weak armies have them, and other melee strong armies can still shoot. So why not let Tau do more then just beat their little blue fists against their foes?

If not Suits should be able to use their shooting weapons as melee weapons. Maybe not anything as gross as Scorchas where they act like power weapons. But the ability to score a strength hit equal to their available weapon. OR let them count as having two hand weapons when armed with 2 suit weapon systems for an extra attack like an infantry with 2 pistols.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 16:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Tau don't have melee weapons becuase they abhore it as a method of war. It is condisered taboo to them and the cast refuses to show any relianace on it. This is why we have kroot. Sure our elites have some capability in melee, but that is simply becuase they are experienced fighters and in giant mechs! Our FW have one of the lowest possible WS skill levels possible in the game, so while chance can give us some miracles and chance, we simply don't have much chance at it. Even Kroot, who are argueably our true CC units, are only OK at it due to them being very flexable in their roles. Anyway everyone I know says "get into melee if you can when facing tau cause they suck at it", and I feel I must agree with them overall.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote