Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Bodyguard for Ethereal. Worth it?
Old 21 Apr 2009, 15:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Bodyguard for Ethereal. Worth it?

Im in the modeling process and is about to start on building my Ethereal.

Basically Im wondering if its worth cashing out for an additional box of Fire Warriors to build him a bodyguard. When I become an experienced general will his bodyguard just stand on my shelve and collect dust or will they take to the battlefield regularly.
And by the way. They will not blend in with my regular Fire Warriors. I intend on building and painting my Ethereal and his bodyguard to be different in both camouflage pattern and in design.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 15:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Bodyguard for Ethereal. Worth it?

I am assuming that you are talking about the fire warrior squad, not the special charicter.

If you want inexpensive long ranged marines that have leadership 10, then go ahead and build the bodyguard.

a friend of mine suggested a game of warhammer 40000 in 45 minutes: http://www.patrolclash.org.uk/pcrules.htm
I came up with a list that included an Ethereal and his bodyguards along with some other stuff.

sorry to disappoint you, but unfortunately I have to tell you that your Ethereal will (or at least should) be sitting on your shelf for all except an apocalypse game. see my post here: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...927#msg1143927
I would say that if you want to paint one squad differently than all of your others, then go for it. you can make them your first squad, like a terminator squad, elites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2009, 19:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thing is I want to bring an Ethereal with me occaionally. Not a regular in my army but atleast occationally.
And the +2 pts per model for +1 BS sounds fairly decent to me. So really if I do decide to take an Ethereal is it worth it to buy him a retinue of guards or should I bring him as an individual model?
The guy himself will come along occationally atleast for friendly games (silly expression Ive never played an unfriendly game). The price for the guy is within what I consider reasonable for a fluffy addition to my games. But is an extra Fire Warrior squad overkill in a game around the 2k pts?
Old 21 Apr 2009, 20:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think the thing that even remotely makes an ethereal barely worth taking is that retinue of bodyguards.

I've heard it said numerous times on this forum that you are better off giving your oponnent extra points the value of your ethereal than actually having him in your army. They suck.
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2009, 21:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I reckon the bodyguards are not worth it au!!! Still pretty fragile units that can get wasted easily!
Old 22 Apr 2009, 02:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The bodyguard would be worth it if it counted as scoring and didn't include the Ethereal.... ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
Charistoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2009, 03:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charistoph
The bodyguard would be worth it if it counted as scoring and didn't include the Ethereal.... ;D
Don't they count as scoring?! I thought they are counted as troops!?
Old 22 Apr 2009, 10:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't think that ethereal units are that fluffly either, spiritual and political leaders at a battlefield? Why? It's like Gordon Brown going off to Iraq...though don't suppose you can call him a spiritual leader. The old ethereals are nice models, but they stay in my box.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 10:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well I believe that if you take the ethereal then its worth getting the bodyguard to, you can make them look really nice and stand out.

But like others have pointed out, your better of giving you opponent extra points then taking an ethereal.
lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2009, 19:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well Ive been thinking about it further and Ive read what you guys said and Ive realised the Ethereal is really not all that.

But his guards are cool.
A normal Fire Warrior will hit on 4's so in a squad of 12 there will be 6 hits.
The Ethereal's special Fire Warriors hits on 3's so in a squad of 12 there will be 8 hits.
Thats a 2 hit difference (which is basically identically to 4 extra Fire Warriors)
With the increased price an Ethereal and 12 bodyguards will cost 34 pts more than it would cost to bring 16 fire warriors which it would take to put out the same amount of firepower.
So after pondering the subject thats essentially 34 pts down the drain. But Ive decided to make an Ethereal which without bodyguard would be 50 almost wasted pts so the bodyguard increases his value (or rather diminishes the amount of pts wasted). So Im gonna go ahead and build my bodyguards for the Ethereal I built yesterday (had some fun with GS and my bitsbox )