Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

hammerhead and devilfish
Old 21 Apr 2009, 09:33   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default hammerhead and devilfish

for the hammerhead what would be best. burstcannons or sms?

for the devilfish, burstcannons or sms.
i would like to get the sms but i dont want to draw too much attention.

also are pirhanas worth it. they look cool and thats the only reason i want them. i dont know if i should give them fushion blasters.. or burstcannons. ...but if i give them fushion blasters for tank hunting whats the purpose of the hammerhead.

please help me by giving pros and cons.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 10:42   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: hammerhead and devilfish

When it comes to the secondary weapons for a hammerhead I would say burst cannon. Because in most cases it will be moving 12 so why not go with the cheaper option? For Devilfish I would say SMS cause getting four shots at moving 12 and seven at moving 6 just seems to good to pass up. On the fast skimmers don't know because I have never used them. Hope that helped.
Ich Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2009, 11:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman

also are pirhanas worth it. they look cool and thats the only reason i want them. i dont know if i should give them fushion blasters.. or burstcannons. ...but if i give them fushion blasters for tank hunting whats the purpose of the hammerhead.

First of all, this is not an acceptable post. Make sure you use capital letters, punctuation and proper spelling when posting on the Boards; we try to maintain a minimum standard of English here, so please read the rules of the Boards.

Second, What's with your Avatar?!?

Third: The answer for your question depends on what you want to do. I personally prefer the SMS, since it makes a nice secondary weapon after the primary weapon is downed (you can still move 12" and fire for full effect with a Multitracker; this isn't possible with twin BCs).

For a Devilfish: The SMS does NOT replace the Burst Cannon; the SMS replaces the gundrones. A "Warfish", as we call a fully upgraded Devilfish, packs a SMS, a BC, and a MT.

Piranhas are definitely cool, and with FBs, they make not only good Tank hutners, but also excellent choices for offing Terminators and suchlike. And don't forget that the Railhead still has the submunition option, so they definitely still leave some palce for a Railhead in your army.

Cheers,
-Bone

PS: Seriously, re-think your Avatar...
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2009, 11:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well first off I have to say hello to the pair of you, strange to bump into two new members in one post. Try to use punctuation and such like, this site has some pretty high standards on such things.

Now onto the weapons, my preferance for the hammerhead is Railhead takes burstcannons, the Ionhead takes SMS's. Seeing as the Railhead is shooting at tanks mainly the SMS is a waste of points as it won't damage your usual targets for the Railgun. But the Ioncannon is closer to the strength of the SMS meaning the targets usually can be damaged by both (Meq's and the likes). The SMS is the better weapon, more range and can fire around terrain. Plus it counts as a single system meaning with the multitracker you can move 6" and use both weapons, move 12" and you can use one. The SMS gets the one extra shot over the Burstcannon when you can only use the one of them.

The devilfish comes with the one burstcannon, after that its a choice between drones and a SMS, this bit comes down to what you wish to use the Devilfish for, mine are mainly transports so carry the standard gundrones (worth an extra killpoint though, which is a pain in the area between my legs and back) to save a few points. The warfish, which is an offensive Devilfish carrys the SMS and often a multitracker. For the extra firepower and mobility.

On both though alays take a disruption pod, it's one of the cheapest upgrades and saves you from 50% of all damage at over 12"...hilarious.

Pirahnas I don't know...I have some because they look good. Otherwise I never really use them.

Hope some of this helps.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 22:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman

First of all, this is not an acceptable post. Make sure you use capital letters, punctuation and proper spelling when posting on the Boards; we try to maintain a minimum standard of English here, so please read the rules of the Boards.

Second, What's with your Avatar?!?

Third: The answer for your question depends on what you want to do. I personally prefer the SMS, since it makes a nice secondary weapon after the primary weapon is downed (you can still move 12" and fire for full effect with a Multitracker; this isn't possible with twin BCs).

For a Devilfish: The SMS does NOT replace the Burst Cannon; the SMS replaces the gundrones. A "Warfish", as we call a fully upgraded Devilfish, packs a SMS, a BC, and a MT.

Piranhas are definitely cool, and with FBs, they make not only good Tank hutners, but also excellent choices for offing Terminators and suchlike. And don't forget that the Railhead still has the submunition option, so they definitely still leave some palce for a Railhead in your army.

Cheers,
-Bone

PS: Seriously, re-think your Avatar...
... Give the guy are break. I understood his questions perfectly...

Anyway

Drone attached devilfish can infact fire more shots after moving 12 than the "warfish" because both drones can still fire after moving flat out. I still prefer sms because it denies the opponent that cheap kill points for downing your devilfish with the drones, the drone team is another kill point . Sms also have the ability to sniff out pesky cloaked units like lictors and harlequins at 24, as it fires without a line of sight.

Hammerhead should definetly take burst cannons, they allow you 6 shots and are cheaper! I have been considering also giving my Hammerheads TL lately, cause I did end up in a few situation where firing everything at one unit is a over kill and neglected another downed unit near by...
Old 22 Apr 2009, 01:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Yes sure the drones are another kill point but can tau win an annihilation mission without this? The problem is the smart missile system is expensive as well. Burst cannons are cheaper. With a multi-tracker you can move 6 inches into enemies line of sight if necessary and fire the burst cannons even bypassing cover saves if they are not completely protected.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 01:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I just finished off a vehicle tactica article that touches on these questions. Since it's pretty long I'll give you my summarized opinions.

For the hammerheads, I go with burst cannons. If you're only firing a single weapon it's going to be the turret not the secondary, so the secondary weapons only matter at combat speed (assuming you have a multi-tracker, which you should). at combat speed you want as much firepower as possible, and you get 6 shots out of burst cannons vs 4 shots out of the smart missiles.

The skyray gets smart missiles. A multi-tracked skyray with SMS can fire all its weapons at cruising speed. Also, it can hide out of LOS and fire both types of missiles while being safe from return fire. (Terrain-permitting, of course)

Devilfish can go either way, but I prefer the full-on warfish with targeting array, smart missiles, and etc. Compare the points and hits of a warfish at combat speed to a 10-man fire warrior squad (with shas'ui) at long range and you'll see that the warfish does almost as well (4.7 hits for 120 points vs 5 hits for 110). Granted, the comparison falls apart if you look at rapid-fire range, mobility, vulnerability to assault, vulnerability to lucky shots and etc. It's just to show that a souped-up devilifish is not as overpriced as you might think.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote