Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Airbursting Fragmantation Projector question
Old 21 Apr 2009, 01:53   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Airbursting Fragmantation Projector question

OK, I bought a crisis commander suit today and was looking at what weapons and gear to use. Looking at the AFP, range has a "G" before the number. I searched the rulebook and couldnt find out what this means. Im sure some1 in this community knows and wouldnt mind helping a green horn out . Was thinking of using it along with CIB, HW MT HW shield drones and target array, maybe stim injector. You can use all those together right? what is your favorite commander set-up? thanks in advance.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2009, 01:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Airbursting Fragmantation Projector question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimh
OK, I bought a crisis commander suit today and was looking at what weapons and gear to use. Looking at the AFP, range has a "G" before the number. I searched the rulebook and couldnt find out what this means. Im sure some1 in this community knows and wouldnt mind helping a green horn out . Was thinking of using it along with CIB, HW MT HW shield drones and target array, maybe stim injector. You can use all those together right? what is your favorite commander set-up? thanks in advance.
G means it's a ordance barrage weapon that do not require a line of sight to the target! Though if you do fire it that way you cannot minus the scatter distance with your BS. Also markerlights won't help you fire this weapon more accurately (in my opinion this weapon should allow you a re-roll for scatter cause the fluff describes it as a weapon with computer controlled cluster bomb)

My favourite commander set up is plasma/fusion, HM & TA. I tend to also bring bodyguards and 2 gun drones.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 01:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Since the AFP question is answered, my favorite commander set up is a CIB, plasma rifle, HW multi tracker, targeting array shas'el. It evens out at exactly 100 points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Things I miss: Sane Anubis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin Archer
"So, what you're saying is that you need someone dumber . . . You may have come to the right place." -Col. Jack O'Neil
DemiGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2009, 03:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

It should be noted that it is not, in fact, an ordinance barrage weapon, but rather merely a barrage weapon. A minor discrepancy, but it makes a difference.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 03:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Since the AFP question is answered, my favorite commander set up is a CIB, plasma rifle, HW multi tracker, targeting array shas'el. It evens out at exactly 100 points.
Strangely enough, if you substitute the plasma rifle for an AFP, it also comes to 100 points. So technically, both Aurora+ and Hurrican+ 'Els are Centurions. However, as a AFP is pretty much a waste on a high-BS model, it is safe to assume that when someone says they are taking a centurion, they are talking about an Aurora.

My advice, the AFP is a great weapon and is best placed on the leader of a Firestorm team instead of the burst cannon.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2009, 04:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Now its not as much as it scatters 5 inches less. I like firknife shas El's but that is another issue. It can be nice though if the enemy is bunched up a lot so more wounds and saves even if its against marines.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 13:46   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

You know your right doc
That actually makes it quite a bit more atractive as a weapon, at least to me. The scattering made me really not want to trust it. How big of a difference does that bs make though? anyone have some table top experience with it on a commander?

Crap now I might have an excuse to assemble mod and paint a new 'el for my army....
Damnit I already have 4 command suits, and I haven't finished painting my last one :P I do so love conversionwork though.
ShasO Corvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2009, 14:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In case your wondering here is the average scatter for different BS.
BS0: 4.66"
BS3: 2.69"
BS4: 2.07"
Bs5: 1.52"
Ironclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2009, 15:28   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

AFP also has the special of ignoring cover. With cover so much more available now and with pie plates now auto-hit even partially covered models, I have found it pretty usefull.

But as soon as someone sees me through down the pie plate instead of the mini disc, he then becomes a hot target.

My only problems I have with the AFP is it's relatively short range and it doesn't mix well really with any weapons. As a previous poster said though, I also usually run him with Firestorm suits.
Rudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2009, 17:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The AFP saved a game for me at the last tournament. I pie plated a Guard Troops unit with a heavy weapon, hidden in woods, sitting on an objective. The AP4 ignoring Cover Saves meant each 2+ to wound was a certain death.

And I caught the whole bunched up unit under the pie plate... >

It is essentially a differently shaped Flamer template with longer range. Definitely worth the Points.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote