Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Gonna fight guard tonight
Closed Thread
Old 05 Jun 2005, 22:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Gonna fight guard tonight

so, I have to fight our personal worst enemy the IG, the other kickass shooters of wh40k. Now I'm gonna play up to 1k points probably, but I have only have 1 hh gunship and no broadsides. I should have a deathwing teammate, though. I have several crisis suits, kroot, etc. But, do you guys have any suggestions as for as equipment loadout and tactics? How many suits should I run?
Old 06 Jun 2005, 01:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Gonna fight guard tonight

Well, personally, I'd just get as much raw shooters as you can (eg. FWs and Stealths), then put in a bunch of crisis with missile pods, and either burst cannons, plasma rifles, or just twin linked missiles with a flamer.
Now, you really will need that HH, because an IG player can be pretty unpredictable when it comes to their loadout. The guy can play an Imperial Storm Trooper attack, with a lot of infiltration, or tons of armour in heavy and fast attack slots, or the guy can just load out in huge numbers of simpler infantry.
We're pretty lucky, since IG armour is often pretty weak at at least one or two sides, so at the worst, every unit has a chance at glancing the mass of armour. You'd also have enough high strength weapons to make your hits hurt more for those thougher tanks. On the other hand, you'll have high shot rate weapons and a lot of bodies to deal with a large mass of infantry, and as we have an upper hand when it comes to range, you'll have to make the IG come to you, not the other way around, and play on your terms. Even missile pods and plasma are good for this, since it's good against any command squad, and can deal with regular infantry pretty well. Also, crisis flamers are invaluable against swarms, and the crisis themselves aren't that bad against weak opposition like IG infantry platoons. Just don't bite off more than you can chew, as IG has numbers on it's side, and crisis fall like flies if it's bombarded with too much attacks/fire. Even the weak lasgun can still dent the armour if given the chance. Just don't give it to 'em ^_^.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 06 Jun 2005, 01:28   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Focus your attentions against a single flank.

IG Deployment
Platoon 1 Platoon 2 Platoon 3 Platoon 4
^ ^
Kroot Kroot

[Terrain] [Terrain]

Railhead
Fishes Fishes Fishes

Mech Tau Strategery
1) Infiltrate your Kroot into decent cover, and try to manuver them so that you get them into close combat. If you have a Krootox, use one just to soak up HBolter wounds. Harrass a single flank to prevent LOS from being made with heavy weapons.
2) Railhead to kill Russ's and such, then place submunitions over the other platoons' heavy weapons squads, soften them up so FOF won't get raped
3) Be patient, work them down a little bit then FoF them.

I have done this strategy in smaller battles (750 points) to surprising effect. Prehaps in a larger battle you could field stealth teams to distract the left flanks, or deepstrike some gun drones behind the platoons.. even if they get killed, it is still fun to watch
Old 06 Jun 2005, 03:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Muddy gives good advice. Stuff like guard doesn't have the option to deploy well often, due to their large numbers.

Concentrate on one side, and just watch them waste 2-3 turns walking to your flank. You want to target whatever flank has more heavy weapons though, just ignore the lasguns.

Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 06 Jun 2005, 15:13   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I am not sure if I was misunderstood or not, but I will clarify anyways (I wrote that strategy on an empty tank...)

Tie up the right flank in close combat (in my example, this would be Platoon 3 and 4. Keep your Railheads and Fishes to the right flank, as they cannot shoot you through the combat. Then, while Platoons 3 and 4 are moving around the combat to get LOS, blow up the left flanks (Platoon 1 and 2) heavy weapons teams with the Str 6 AP 4 Large Blast that I absolutely love! Once their firebase has been weakened, send in the fishes! Finish off the left flank, and by the time this is all over, the Kroot have either sweeped through the right flank, or have been killed. Either way, the right flank will be weakened enough that the fishes and railhead should be able to finish them off. If you can manage the points, include a unit or two of stealthies. Infiltrate them with the kroot to ensure that they get into combat. If they shoot the stealthies, good, the kroot get into combat. If they shoot the kroot, good, they have enough numbers that some should still be able to get into combat and you can further harass them with stealthies.
Old 06 Jun 2005, 15:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy
Keep your Railheads and Fishes to the right flank, as they cannot shoot you through the combat.
You can see size 3 objects (vehicles, monstrous creatures, etc.) over combat between size 2 combatants (infantry, jump infantry, etc).
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 06 Jun 2005, 16:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
I have several crisis suits, kroot, etc.* But, do you guys have any suggestions as for as equipment loadout and tactics?* How many suits should I run?
Against Guard, I take my Crisis Suits with Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, Multi-Tracker; That way I get a high volume of shots that I can throw at regular Infantry men, or a high str. weapon that will take down Sentinals and Balisks!
Closed Thread