Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Fluff Questions
Old 18 Apr 2009, 19:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau Fluff Questions

Okay Ive looked around at some fluff and I have afew questions about the Tau fluff. (and yes some of these might be slightly odd)

1 - I read that the castes are pretty much different races. Would this be similar to us having Native Americans, Whites, Blacks and Asians? And how common are ''Hybrids''?

2 - I came across the Talissera and it says this translates roughly into marriage. Does a similar bond exist between mating couples? And how does a Tau family unit function?

3 - How does Tau reproduce? Eggs? Mushrooms? Living offspring? Grown in a lab? And how many offspring do they produce in a batch?

4 - How long is an average lifespan of a Tau (assuming he doesnt die in battle or from desease) and how long does it take for a Tau to reach maturity?

5 - At what age is a Fire Caste drafted into the army?
Old 18 Apr 2009, 19:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Tau Fluff Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irtehdar
Okay Ive looked around at some fluff and I have afew questions about the Tau fluff. (and yes some of these might be slightly odd)

1 - I read that the castes are pretty much different races. Would this be similar to us having Native Americans, Whites, Blacks and Asians? And how common are ''Hybrids''?
From what I can gather, mix-caste are non-existant. The Caste sytem is along the line of subspecies (and not differnet race), so hybrid would be outcast from the get-go.

Quote:
2 - I came across the Talissera and it says this translates roughly into marriage. Does a similar bond exist between mating couples? And how does a Tau family unit function?
Not sure. But I guess there would be some kind of bond within the couple. I have no clue how the family unit work though.

Quote:
3 - How does Tau reproduce? Eggs? Mushrooms? Living offspring? Grown in a lab? And how many offspring do they produce in a batch?
Vivipare: or live birth, If I recall correctly. Single birth, I would presume, maybe the occasional twin.

Quote:
4 - How long is an average lifespan of a Tau (assuming he doesnt die in battle or from desease) and how long does it take for a Tau to reach maturity?
They live up to their 40s. So maturity around 12ish.

Quote:
From birth. They are Shas'saal (cadet)...although not all of them make it to Shas'la (soldier) IIRC.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2009, 19:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

i'll try my hand at some of these, though some of them are hazy subjects to begin with.
1 and 3 were answered pretty fine by bonegaurd

2. there was a project Tau on Tau reproduction, it was more like pairings produce a child but they don't raise it, children are raised in a crèche. i'm not sure if mating couples are selected externally, or they just decide to do it themselves and enter some type of program, what i do know is there can be no real relationship at all. Same with family they don't really exist, i suppose a father may keep track of his son, and they might meet every now and then but there's no real paternal responsibilities if that what you mean.

4. well the stuff on Aun-Shi says 40 is old, and it is supposed that Tau have a very short old age then die, so i would suggest somewhere between 40 and 45 maybe 50 years

5. Fire caste Saal (cadets) finish their training at 17 Tau'cyr old, so roughtly 14-15? i'm not sure if my maths is exact.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2009, 20:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Tau do not hybridize really. They may have had castes for a long time. The tau castes may actually be starting to speciate.

Actually in the family relationships they could be close like how shadowsun and her sister were bonded with ta'lissera ritual.

This made me think the greater good would probably make incest not like a good thing.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 20:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Wu
This made me think the greater good would probably make incest not like a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Wu
Actually in the family relationships they could be close like how shadowsun and her sister were bonded with ta'lissera ritual.
however couldn't you argue that they may be bonded because the close proximity of age meant they were in action together? rather than being particularly close because of family. Though i would argue that family would at least have a part. so did shadowsun bond the Ta'lissera with her sister becuase they were family? or becuase they served together?
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2009, 21:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

There are no hybrids by decree of the Ethereals- since then they have essentially become 5 races, however it is not known if hybridization is possible- just forbidden.

This has been an interesting issue i've tried to incorporate in my own fluff. It seems that the Earth Caste and Fire often incorporate larger unions, teams and squadrons- however it seems to be a ritual that involves ignoring the self over the greater whole. I would imagine Tau have individual relationships (which strengthens societies after all) however the objective of a relationship would be to, as always, further the Empire. Coupling is definitively selected, however I like to believe that there is the option for self-selected coupling once screening is accomplished.

No one knows. But it can be surmised they have the same reproductive organs, xenology, and so probably have the same gestation process (it's just probably only a couple months based on the speed at which the Tau seem to live).

This is in the new rule book. Normal Tau live from 40-50, the onset of age is quick and sudden leaving very little 'dieing' time. Maturity seems to be 15-20 years.

They are raised in creches from birth, same as all the other castes.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 02:22   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

2) If I understand Ta'lissera correctly, it's basically blood brotherhood. Hell, in the 3rd edition codex, they even cut their palms and then hold hands in a circle. Supposedly, as long as one member of a Ta'lissera is alive, they all live on. That's why bonded units can regroup below half strength.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 05:43   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

1. Inter-caste breeding is verboten, they have specific genetic specializations and it would not be for the greater good to mess it up.

2. Ta'lissera is like a bond of brotherhood, as Shotgun stated, like a vow of loyalty to each other even higher than thier devotion to the greater good. Parents do not have a guardian role, the offspring are raised in a learning environment appropriate to thier caste.

3. Tau have live offspring, and matches are made to have the greatest genetic outcome, so they are assigned.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 07:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Two principle concepts are the foundation of Tau child rearing/family and breeding.

1. Eugenics (selective, controled, regulated and accepted breeding programs/pairings)

2. "It takes a village to raise a child" (communal learning and family system, i.e. no atomic families or sire-offspring family units)

As for age of maturity I would assume they mature around 9-12 since 17-20 would be like us humans maturing at 35-40

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2009, 08:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think the differences between castes is greater than the differences between various races of humanity. When the ethereals first showed up, the plains nomads were already noticeably bigger and stronger than the city dwellers, and I think it was mentioned that the air caste had something like wings that they could glide on. Flying squirrel style rather than bat style, I think. There are a couple of forgeworld kits (Tigershark, Barracuda, Manta, etc) that come with an air caste model or two and they're definitely different from fire caste. Very tall and skinny, although much of that can be explained by the fact that they spend much of their lives in free-fall.

The closest real-life parallel to the differences between Tau castes is probably the domestic dog. Maybe the fire caste are rottweillers, the earth caste are labradors, the water caste are border collies, and the air caste are greyhounds. Or something.

knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote