Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Timelines...
Old 18 Apr 2009, 17:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Tau Timelines...

Quote:
900. M41 Morix Prime: Tau listening post is destroyed by Ultramarines of the 4th Company

963 M41 Malbede: Ultramarine force lead by Marneus Calgar engage a Tau expeditionary force over the planet Malbede where a Necron force awakens. The two factions concentrate fire on the enemy before the Tau withdraw, Calgar waits for them to withdraw before committing exterminatus.

979M41 Damocles Gulf launched with victories of note succeeded by Brimlock Dragoons (Note: kroot referenced in combat here )

988.M41 Crusade withdrawn due to Kraken

997.M41: Nimbosa is still a current warzone with more Guard units requested.

997-official date of 3rd Sphere: Zeist Campaign: Praetoris, a forge world, is retaken by Ultramarines. Augara: massive defeat of Tau world where shipyards and fleets are destroyed by almost 1000 marines present. This is where the 3rd Sphere is halted.
Most recent date (in 40k history)

297 599.M41 the Black Crusade 13

985 999M41: Cytheria attacked and taken by the Tau- loss of another Ethereal by Catachan Snipers.

303 999.M41 Sicarius leads 30 chapters to counter Shadowsuns 3rd Sphere and halts it's expansion. He wants to go further into those worlds taken at the dawn of Shadowsuns attack but is recalled.
Well I didn't want to reopen that thread because it referred directly to source material. Hence this is more to be a discussion of what do we do to make sense of this new information.

Very unfortunately I have to make specific references from the Tau Codexes which might refute some of the Imperial dates;

Quote:
789.M35 Land's Vision discoveries the Tau

742.M41 Damocles Gulf Crusade specifically mentioned to begin

757.M41 "Learn to shorten your reach..." Commander Farsight

696.M41 "Stranger, I bid you greetings..." Koath System probe

760.M41 Inquisitoria 8953/3932 Enclaves mentioned in Imperial records.

763.M41 Tau involved in sack of Penury IV and other engagements till 820.M41

765.M41 - "Each must find his own way..." Commander Farsight

994.M41 Evac. of Aleph Sigma from splinter fleet of Habinger-linked to Farsight
In particular mention we have a blind contradiction in sources red and sources blue

Now GW can't ret-con the specific mentions in red, because that then would invalidate everything about the Crusade. Hence I would hazard, both events took place at the very same time.

Therefore everything from the two Tau codexes needs to be bumped up by 240 years. This means that no matter what GW might like, we are strictly in M42, BECAUSE of the reference to Harbinger and the hivefleets in source blue, unless they are references to one another (in blue that is due to the similarity in dates).

Thus making the most recent fluff mentioned date, 231.M42 on the Evac. of Aleph Sigma.

Now this is all just speculation, yet it would correlate to the Enclaves being formed AT the turn of the new millennium, and hence would exist at the time of Medusa V. This would link directly with text from the Tau Empire codex in the Shaddowsun entry;

Earth caste signal intercepts are filled with mentions of a great war in a distant region of space that has drawn away many of those who would fight the expansion of the Tau empire.

The paragraph concludes with the defacing of O'shovahs statue. Thus what may we might conclude? That Farsights involvement with the Orks in the Enclaves drew away the Orks allowing the 3rd phase expansion to take place. It puts people in the right place at the right time.

It means that the Tau are favours of fate as the blurb on the back of the codex says; "While the races of the galaxy tear one another apart, the Tau grow stronger and stronger..."

While I would agree with Calmsword that this might be a good ret-con, it requires a bit more interpretation than just the new imperial codexes, and requires us to understand that the imperial date records for the eastern fringe are all out of sync by 240 years.

Errm...I wonder, could we have people post up all dated records for the eastern fringe and see if those sources correlate with the new adjusted timeline. Because it would be interesting to see what fits and what doesn't.

Gen
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2009, 20:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher
Default Re: Tau Timelines...

Wait this means that either that or they are retcconing kraken fluff as well making it earlier on the tyranid side, because kraken in the tyranid codex did not happen until 993M41. It may actually be moved around a lot The alpha sigma is now a lot later. I really want more information on vior'la though. It looks like they are invalidating everything about the crusade time line.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 21:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah i was also trying to figure out when Fi'rios was colonised in this new timeline. since i was under the impression they didn't capture it till 999 m41, but in this the 3rd sphere ended before then.

And another Q - is Medusa V still 006 M42?
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2009, 22:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonga Khan
And another Q - is Medusa V still 006 M42?
Presumably.

[hr]

This is why I'd like to know how the Tyranid and ork fluff fits into this.

For instance if the latest ork codex doesn't occur post enclave/3rd sphere. Then the enclaves could have been formed at the very same time that the 3rd sphere was announced. Hence perhaps Farsight didn't go rouge, he was simply cut off and declared rogue as a tool of the Empire to keep the ork distracted, but not to leave a line of waypoints across the gulf for the orks to follow should Farsight fail...

Gen
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2009, 22:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Isn't it possible that when GW redo the Tau codex, they will change the dates to align with those of the newer codex's? And that essentially we should just ignore the ones in the Tau Empire codex?
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2009, 07:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonga Khan
Isn't it possible that when GW redo the Tau codex, they will change the dates to align with those of the newer codex's? And that essentially we should just ignore the ones in the Tau Empire codex?
From what I have been able to tell, that is what they did with the new SM codex. So yes I would agree that this is likely to happen and unfortunatwly Medusa V campeign will either be ignored or given a new set of dates to make it cobform to the new system.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2009, 19:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Kraken actually did not get stopped at Ichar Iv and turn into splinter fleet until 993M41 and it says it even in the rulebook and tyranid codex. 5 years seems too long to have that happen. The thing is with kraken first their were planetary rebellions going on but the tyranid codex does not make that seem to go on for 5 years. The shadow of the warp is what must have confused the imperium.

When does that timeline end? It seems that it was attributed to kraken at a later date after they figured out what the cause was. It seems the rebellions were occurring and that is why they withdrew while a lot of their territory was skunk away with no communications. It would seem now that the imperium was fighting rebellions for 5 years or that the crusade ended towards the end of 888M41
Old 20 Apr 2009, 06:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

medusa fluff is still up in the air- we're not even getting really hints at it.

All that is known is that currently the Ork, SM, and IG books all line up with a time stitch making Farsight and Tau fluff all bumped up.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 17:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Militarized

The SM codex seems to have new fluff, or it was new to me, some campaign with a Z where we got our ass handed to us by a big force of SM? and it stopped the third sphere of expansion I assume?

"What do you think of Metallica?" - Reporter. "I don't listen to country music" -Joey Demaio, one of the KINGS OF METAL.
Militarized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2009, 21:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

the zeist campaign- 1000 marines kicked are butts.