Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Call to Arms - New Tactica needed!
Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Call to Arms - New Tactica needed!

I recently re-organised the "Important Topics"-Stickie (http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=38771.0), and to my dismay I found that nearly all tactica were written based on 4th Edition rules.

Now, we all know that the changes were quite important to us Tau players, and I therefore feel the need to get some "fresh blood" in our little collection of tacticas and articles. I'd write some of those myself, but between my job, my studies and my modhood I'm quite busy atm...

Therefore, this is a general call to all out there who have A) some experience playing Tau and B) are willing to work on some tacticas.

In my opinion, we'd especially need the following covered:

1) An article detailing the changes 5th Edition brought compared to 4th Edition. Comprehensive, i.e. encompassing all the rules changes, and how they affect us (change of defensive weaponry, new vehicle damage charts, vehicle cover, TLOS, the works). No complaining, just the facts, please

2) An article explaining the concept of Ninja Tau, and offering beginner's advice on how to utilise it. (Gone Fishing) -Done

3) An article detailing the general Tau playstyles. Not much depth needed, just an overall glance at Hybrid, Mech, Static and Ninja. (Lord Zanou) -Done

4) Kroot in 5th. (Gone Fishing)

5) New missions and how they affect Tau armies/the playstyles.

6) And whatever you can think of.

Each of those articles should meet certain criteria - proper grammar and spelling are a must, as is a proper structure of the text itself - after all, it should be easy to read and understand even for beginners and people who are not english native speakers.

Of course, Karma cookies would be awarded for the articles!

Any volunteers?

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Call to Arms - New Tactica needed!

I think much of what is perceived as "complaining" or "whining" at this point is justified as honest problems.

Gonefishing has helped to develop a very worthy Hybrid tactic that helped take our game into the Fifth edition with style. The new IG point to GW leaving even that army at a serious disadvantage.

Personally, It just seems coincidental that nearly every change that GW has done for Fifth edition main rules, or army special rules has us on the lower end. Coincidentally, of course. :-\

While I appreciate that the Mods want to keep it upbeat around here, the fact is that we should address the problems brought up too. Ignoring them won't make the problems go away for our army.
If we keep shutting down the topics and ignoring them, then we'll be in the same boat as the GW forums where problems were brought up, ignored, and finally dismissed with a wave of a magnet (figuratively speaking of course).

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I wrote a "vehicle tactica" some time ago based on the prereleased 5th edition rules. Most of what I wrote there is accurate, so I could dust that off and refine it. I should have some time for such things late this coming week.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Honestly, I can understand your disappointment.

But if this topic crops up in every single thread and takes over the whole Tau Board, that's too much, and the Mod team can and will not ignore this. Getting the short end of the stick is one thing, but complaining all the time does not change anything. And, don't get me wrong, it also gets old very fast.

Besides, a lot of people don't even KNOW what we are complaining about - hence article #1 I proposed. Having a solid basis of what changes exactly happened is the first step to A find counters within the existing rules and B propose proper changes for the next Codex: Tau.

You see, simply complaining doesn't help at all - it doesn't make our current situation better, and it doesn't help to develop new rules.

So, with that out of the way - can I put you down for the "Changes 5th Edition brought to a Tau army"-article?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
I wrote a "vehicle tactica" some time ago based on the prereleased 5th edition rules. Most of what I wrote there is accurate, so I could dust that off and refine it. I should have some time for such things late this coming week.
That would be great. No hurries, though; take your time.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2009, 21:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you're not worried about getting it any time soon, then I'd be happy to address a few things.

My internet access has been sketchy for the past month or two though (some may have noticed), so this will take some time. I'm assailed right now with a number of distractions which are borderline maddening (including lost medical records, college fund issues, and pre-requisites.
I'm no good for many of the counters though. Right now I'm in a struggle to adapt to the changes without compromising my army and fluff

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2009, 21:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

I'm currently adapting my army for a tournament in the future, figuring out what works and what doesn't. I'd be glad to help based on what I have done.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 21:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin

Gonefishing has helped to develop a very worthy Hybrid tactic that helped take our game into the Fifth edition with style. The new IG point to GW leaving even that army at a serious disadvantage.
I agree. Gonefishing has done some wicked awsome articles.

Also I agree with how to effectively use the Kroot in 5th Edition. I personally don't like that they have no save, but the fact that they can infiltrate out way that in the end. With 5th there must be some way to truely use them effectively. I just haven't figured it out yet.

Old 17 Apr 2009, 22:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Sorry if there seems to be a wave of overwhelming negativity. I must admit that I've brought up several of the problems facing Tau with the advent of the new 5th edition Codex'. However, with that having been said it's not negativity to draw attention to honest problems that we'll be facing. There are certain facts that are undeniable however.

In any case, I do appreciate your call to arms, so to speak, in wanting to design a new tactica for the Tau. However, dont dismiss the statement of problems that Tau will be facing as negativity. It really isn't. Besides which, some of the problems really dont have much of a solution besides the obvious. Which is of course "shoot it!"
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2009, 23:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I whole heartedly disagree with you on the negativity part not doing anything. If the rumors of GW looking at majore 40K Forums like this one is true, then an outpouring of such negative comments should send a clear message to them. However, I am happy that you are trying so hard to boost the morral of everyone here. I would try my hand at the Kroot thing, but honestly I don't think I am good enough to give any solid advice such as a tatica.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2009, 00:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think its a good idea If you want I would be happy to do an article on Ninja Tau, and also on the mighty Kroot in 5th (Yes, I am a sick and twisted man with a massive Kroot Fetish - can't help it, they move me in mysterious ways).

Overall I think there is one thing we can all agree on - wether we see Tau positively or negatively in 5th - we all want them to do well. And short of a New Codex (which is at the very least a year or two away) the best way to do this is to share the tactics and ideas that have worked for you in 5th with other Tau Players. So it can only be a good thing