Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Weapons/Codex Ideas for 5th Edition?
Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu
Default New Weapons/Codex Ideas for 5th Edition?

I was just thinking, the Imperium have Plasma Cannons, Plasma Rifles and Plasma Pistols; and us Tau players have Railguns and Rail-Rifles, but no Rail Pistols...?

Could anyone think of some rules or changes for weapons that we deserve when our 5th Edition codex finally comes out?

- LordZanuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: New Weapons/Codex Ideas for 5th Edition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordZanuu
I was just thinking, the Imperium have Plasma Cannons, Plasma Rifles and Plasma Pistols; and us Tau players have Railguns and Rail-Rifles, but no Rail Pistols...?

Could anyone think of some rules or changes for weapons that we deserve when our 5th Edition codex finally comes out?

- LordZanuu
We have pulse pistols... but nothing really uses them except for pilots IIRC.
I can honestly say that if ML's were changed to Assault 1 that there would be an entire sub-set of Tau players ruining the front of their pants while an entire group of opponents would be ruining the back of their pants.
Mister Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Missile Pods with small blast templates

Plasma rifles turned into Assault 2 or even better a Tau Plasma cannon

Heavy 2 Pulse Rifles, Assault 2 Pulse Carbines

Fusions turned into Multi-melta's

Flamers get to be at least Heavy flamer stats (since everyone else is getting carried away with ridiculous template weapons this isn't too rash)

Rail rifle's and SMS options for XV8's

Special Gear is standardized a.k.a. Aurora setups for more than one suit in the army

I'm sure there's more but that's all from the top of my head that we need in comparison of what the IG and Space Marines have received. :

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu

I'm loving your thinking, especially with the Plasma Cannon, the Rail Rifles for XV8 and Multi-Melta Range for our Fusion Blasters (well, we are meant to be one of the most technological races!!).

I also reckon that Seeker Missiles should be Large Blast (or at least small blast).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I've been toying around with some of the ideas for Seeker warheads that were suggested a long time ago...

Right now the EMP ones (pretty much grenades) do alright enough to swap one-for-one. I don't agree with Large blast though, I just can't see use packing that much shrapnel in it. ;D

I want to try making some sort of smaller virus/flechette/coldfire warhead that deals (essentially) the Flechette effect on a squad hit. *shrugs* There's a lot that we could do, the only problem before was balance issues. Now though? The IG have re-written what balance in the 40k verse means. To me, it's as if the upper limit of the system has been removed. I'm still having a hard time trying to imagine GW okaying most of that stuff. :P

If that's the new standard, I'm utterly unprepared to go that distance of fanboyism. Yes, I'll modify some weapons, but I won't be the one to create utterly new death devices that completely don't fit the 40k universe.

Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin

This would be perfect, give more reason to take one or the other.

The other suggestions made me think about the odd thing too. Since the grenade launcher on carbines is what causes the pinning and pathfinders have markerlight attachments, why not allow for an upgraded grenade launcher that does away with pinning tests and is a Heavy 1 EMP launcher. Even if it was like +7-10pts it might be worth while taking to take out fast weak vehicles that approach the frontline too carelessly. Obviously more than taking the grenade as an option, but also give it some range boost. Guard actually use their grenade launchers more offensively if memory serves me well.
I can honestly say that if ML's were changed to Assault 1 that there would be an entire sub-set of Tau players ruining the front of their pants while an entire group of opponents would be ruining the back of their pants.
Mister Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Kay
Quote:

This would be perfect, give more reason to take one or the other.

The other suggestions made me think about the odd thing too. Since the grenade launcher on carbines is what causes the pinning and pathfinders have markerlight attachments, why not allow for an upgraded grenade launcher that does away with pinning tests and is a Heavy 1 EMP launcher. Even if it was like +7-10pts it might be worth while taking to take out fast weak vehicles that approach the frontline too carelessly. Obviously more than taking the grenade as an option, but also give it some range boost. Guard actually use their grenade launchers more offensively if memory serves me well.
That's not my idea unfortunately. It's Togashi's. It came about during a rousing thread about what the next codex should have in it and a number of changes we would have liked to see to balance the Tau against the other 5th edition armies.

As of right now, that list of changes is woefully unprepared for the new level of power the IG bring to the field. We'd need a whole new topic to achieve balance in our codex.

Old 17 Apr 2009, 22:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I would suggest a couple of things. One, an improvement of some sort to the generally useless pulse carbine. Assault 2, no pinning, maybe? More easily and less radical, seeker missiles should have a frag missile option. Selectable at firing, it can be a standard seeker or a small blast at similar stats to an imperium frag missile.

EDIT: continuing what I was saying before accidentally hitting Post... Another idea worth considering is the option to mount a markerlight on devilfish. They're support vehicles for the infantry, so why not support them by making their shots a little more accurate? Wouldn't even have to be a networked markerlight like the skyray has.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2009, 22:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Rail rifle's and SMS options for XV8's
I totally agree with all what you proposed except this one. I just doesn't sit well with me. Wouldn't that just turn the XV8's into a smaller version of a Broadside? I think what bothers me is that any Rail weapon for the Tau is a "heavy" shot. I don't know if I like the fact of sitting my XV8's down to fire a Rail rifle. I kind of defeats the purpose of the XV8s being mobile J-S-J. How could you, rules wise, fit Rails into a XV8 suit? A.S.S.? I suppose it doesn't fit "fluff" wise with me. Again, beside this you are so dead on with your upgrades.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 22:17   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordZanuu
no Rail Pistols...?
Rail guns, even the ones on a hammerhead, are rediculously short, very implausible. But again they are tau, but no, a rail pistol would not ever work ever. unless its a really long pistol