Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Time Stitch- confirmed
Closed Thread
Old 16 Apr 2009, 23:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Time Stitch- confirmed

With the release of the last 3 codexes, Orks-Space Marines and now Guard it can now be said that the 'Time Stitch' that I've sometimes ranted, and raved, about is now confirmed.

Here are some dates taken from the SM and Guard book- the Gulf Crusade efectively ended just a few years ago. And the Tau have, seemingly, been involved with border wars and first contact wars for the past 100 years of Imperial history (whose current date seems to be just before the dawn of the 42nd millenium).

900. M41 Morix Prime: Tau listening post is destroyed by Ultramarines of the 4th Company
963 M41 Malbede: Ultramarine force lead by Marneus Calgar engage a Tau expeditionary force over the planet Malbede where a Necron force awakens. The two factions concentrate fire on the enemy before the Tau withdraw, Calgar waits for them to withdraw before committing exterminatus.

979M41 Damocles Gulf launched with victories of note succeded by Brimlock Dragoons
988.M41 Crusade withdrawn due to Kraken

997.M41: Nimbosa is still a current warzone with more Guard units requested.
997-official date of 3rd Sphere: Zeist Campaign: Praetoris, a forge world, is retaken by Ultramarines. Augara: massive defeat of Tau world where shipyards and fleets are destroyed by almost 1000 marines present. This is where the 3rd Sphere is halted.
Most recent date (in 40k history)
297599.M41 the Black Crusade 13
5985999M41: Cytheria attacked and taken by the Tau- loss of another Ethereal by Catachan Snipers.
303999.M41 Sicarius leads 30 chapters to counter Shadowsuns 3rd Sphere and halts it's expansion. He wants to go further into those worlds taken at the dawn of Shadowsuns attack but is recalled.

So- what this means is that O'shova is not that old and has only been gone for about twenty years, additionally- it now makes the Tau Empire more vibrant and we really see how far they've come after their first encounter with the Imperium. It also makes everything much more exciting as we can picture the aftermath of the Crusade breaking on the back of Dal'yth and the Dal'yth treaty itself being written.

Two decades of border wars and skirmishes makes the Firewarrior book more relevant and the subsequent 'reaction' to those border skirmishes being the 3rd Sphere (plus now Shadowsun isn't old- in fact the only one that remains ancient is Aun'va).

The Human populations that were assimilated from Guard regiments abandoned have entered in their second generation (their children don't even know what the Imperium was) and that little propaganda story at the end of the first codex makes sense now...

So - GLEE! Hope this helps you write your fluff since some of your commanders would have been team leaders around the time of human aggression.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 23:34   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Time Stitch- confirmed

Kinda Stuffs up the andy hoare books though, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 23:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

it only makes them relevant to the period we're in now- so yes (his characters could still be considered alive just 20 years older).

Also- Puretide could still be around. It really opens up a lot better fluff opportunities and makes the epic 'rise' of the Tau that much more interesting.

in short- yay.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 00:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It merely GW's commitment to not enter the 42nd millenium. At some point, however, something's gotta change.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 04:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to pepin0329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorin
It merely GW's commitment to not enter the 42nd millenium. At some point, however, something's gotta change.
No, it doesn't. GW will keep the game in M40 forever. Seriously, they wouldn't want to have to change the name would they? :P
A Tau's best friend (with the exception of the codex).
Old 17 Apr 2009, 04:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Awesome job Calmsword! Since your a mod can you give yourself karma? hehe... I've been a little bit of a downer lately in terms of gaming, however I love reading storyline and this has given me the proper motivation to find out more about it. Thanks a lot!
Old 17 Apr 2009, 05:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Unfortunately I don't understand nor try to compriehend the WH40K dating system. So while those dates make some sense to me, most of it is like reading latin. I.e. I undertand a bit of it, but most of it is lost on me. Never the less I really like the post and am happy to think we might now have decent characters and maybe even gue'vesa in the new dex!

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 05:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Yes now the tau fluff makes a lot more sense. 30 chapters seems excessive. So the opportunity cost of other races keeps the tau alive. Tau now seem to have even faster progress. heck in 80 years going from just fighting the imperium to being able to tie up the crusade fleet is nice.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 08:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Militarized

Is there no mention of Taros? I want that special commander! OR even better, make his armor a standard for Shas'O or an option. That might explain our doing better?

"What do you think of Metallica?" - Reporter. "I don't listen to country music" -Joey Demaio, one of the KINGS OF METAL.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 08:45   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepin0329
No, it doesn't. GW will keep the game in M40 forever. Seriously, they wouldn't want to have to change the name would they? :P
I don't know. Then they could release a Warhammer 41k rulebook.

Also, sorry for my ignorance, but "Time Stitch"?