Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Any suggestions
Closed Thread
Old 05 Jun 2005, 16:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Commander Cool
Default Any suggestions

I am probably going to by a devilfish today. I could use some suggestions as to what upgrades to give it. Any help is welcome

Thanks in advance,
Commander Cool
Old 05 Jun 2005, 17:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Any suggestions

Commander Cool:

First of all, check out this thread on Fire Warriors and Devilfish configurations: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...87845#msg87845

As for what I would suggest, it totally depends on what you will be doing with it. One thing is for sure, above all others, and that is the Decoy Launchers. Other than that, you have two or three more options to consider really, being the Multi-tracker, Targeting Array and Flechette Dischargers. If it's the only Devilfish in your army and you'd like to make it more powerful, then a Multi-tracker and Targeting Array makes it far more offensive, however, that is kind of expensive.

So in the end, Decoy Launchers are for sure. Otherwise, Targetting Array and Multi-trackers are a great additional upgrade in larger games, or games where your Fish takes precedence.

Cheers!
Old 05 Jun 2005, 17:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I have slightly different opinions on the Multitracker and Target Lock, which can be read here:

Devilfish Vehicle Upgrades
  • Decoy Launchers: For 5 points, the Decoy Launcher increases the survivability of your vehicle by 11%, reducing the chance of a glancing hit destroying it from 33% to 22%. Because it will save your vehicle 1 out of 9 times and costs 5 points, is worth taking on vehicles which cost over 9 x 5 = 45 points... which is all of our vehicles. The sheer cost/benefit of this upgrade makes it essentially standard on every vehicle in a Tau Army. Don't leave home with out one!
  • Multitracker: Since the durability of our vehicles relies on moving > 6" each turn, we lose the ability to fire the Burst Cannon and attached Drones on our Devilfish unless this upgrade is purchased. Paying 10 points for 5 S5 shots per turn isn't a bad deal, especially when you consider that a Firewarrior (1 or 2 S5 shot(s) per turn) is the same price!
  • Target Array: This is one of the few places in the Tau army where we can buy a BS upgrade. Since the Devilfish Burst Cannon is a multi-shot weapon, it's not a bad idea to purchase this upgrade with leftover points. Keep in mind however that this upgrade is useless without the Multitracker, since BS 4 does you no good on a gun you can't shoot!
  • Flechette Dischargers: By bringing this upgrade, you greatly deter any potential Dealth or Glory attempts against your Devilfish if you choose to tank shock with it. This can be a good thing if you're simply attempting to force a morale check in the hopes the target unit will fall back. However, don't be fooled into thinking that you'll ever actually get to kill many models. Your opponent can (and usually will) simply opt not to attempt Death or Glory.
  • Sensor Spines: The introduction of Castellan Missiles in the new Space Marine Codex has given this upgrade new life. Also (marginally) useful for dectecting Tyrannid Lichtor and Catachan secret deployment.
  • Disruption Pod: Since enemy anti-vehicle weapons generally have ranges of 36-48", this upgrade is only useful on vehicles that operate ~42" from the enemy. That's definately not the case with our Devilfish in most circumstances. If being used as a "Missile Boat" as described above, perhaps consider this as an option.
  • Blacksun Filter: Since the Burst Cannon has such short range, chances are if you're in range to fire it, you'll be within your Night Fight spotting distance. Not terribly useful on a Devilfish.
  • Target Lock: Since the Devilfish only has one equipped weapon, this upgrade is useless.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 05 Jun 2005, 18:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

T0nkaTruckDriver:
Isn't that a quote from the Tau Mecha Tactica? You can't take it...wait...yes you can! :

In conclusion from T0nka, it is best to go with a Decoy Launcher for sure! If you have some extra points to spend, then blow it on the Multi-tracker and Targetting Array aswell...
Old 05 Jun 2005, 18:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by A'u'nat
Isn't that a quote from the Tau Mecha Tactica? You can't take it...
Yeah, I realized after reading Mal's post that I didn't have anything written for Flechette Dischargers! So I added that bit...

But you're right, I was... quoting myself, I guess.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 05 Jun 2005, 18:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
But you're right, I was... quoting myself, I guess.
lol...More like talking to ghost self...
Closed Thread