Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau and teleport?
Old 14 Apr 2009, 20:50   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Eddy4Tau
Default Tau and teleport?

This is a bit of a fluff question but I was wondering, races like the orks (which are much More primitive than the tau) have access to teleportation devices and the Tau do not. Why?
Eddy4Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2009, 20:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim
Default Re: Tau and teleport?

Probably because Teleportation is unpredictable (& Tau are a race that is concerned about loss of life, then again, so are the Eldar who use Warp Spyders :-\), & that the Tau have a very limited knowledge of the Warp. Even Orks travel in the Warp for far longer periods than the Tau who can only make short 'hops'.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 21:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Orks are wierd... They were created to fight the necrons and other big nasties by the ancient ones and the whaaaaaarg! is actually their combined psychic power. This actually makes them have alot of unknown innate knowledge and ability (especially to themselves). That being said, orks are natural scavengers and are able to take pretty much anything and make it work for them. They probably found teleportation devices around the galaxy and just replicated them. There may also be something to do with the warp-tech in all that. Like I said the orks are wierd...

The Tau on the other hand didn't even know about warp tech due to having such a weak psychic impression (nearly non-existant IIRC) and hence being unable to use it. Thus making teleportation, probably based on warp tech, of little interest to them or undevelopable altogeather. Also, teleportation is not a fun experience, like in star-trek, from what I have gathered. Tau I am sure would like something like teleportion tech, but due to the lack of non-warp based methods, it is probably to alien for them to develop. (the warp drives they developed were based on alien tech and then combined with their own grav tech, for the current version of warp diving ships)

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2009, 21:34   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The only semi-reliable teleportation that I can think of the top of my head (and doesn't require the warp) is termi teleporting. And that' is such an ancient and arcane tech that the Tau wouldn't have gotten a sample of it until only recently (earliest being first clash with marines) and that would have been so soon that they wouldn't have had time to develop it yet. However, they are a quick-tech race so it's entirely possible that it might show up eventually.

Of course i could be wrong about termi-tele not being warp-connected making this entire post moot. >.>
HighHubris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2009, 21:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I thought all imperium teleportation was warp based. I could be wrong though, since I have been known to be so in the past :P. THe only teleporation tech I can think of that is possibly not warp based is the Necron's portal tech described in BFG, but I am not 100% on that either.

Old 14 Apr 2009, 22:03   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Terminator teleportation is warp based - thats how teleport works. You are sent into the warp through a tiny tear, in a miniscule bubble of realspace.

Contrary to its ease in the game, its VERY very dangerous, and risky.

Its also way beyond the grasp of the tau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2009, 22:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

The only race not to use the warp to teleport is the necrons with their portals and phasing. plus their spaceships go so fast it is quicker not to go in the warp.

;D
Old 14 Apr 2009, 22:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

As I understand it, Tau HAVE studied the warp, and beyond using it for their Faster Than Light travel, simply found it to be far too dangerous a thing to deal with precisely and safety.

I don't necessarily think it is beyond them, just not something they're going to develop until they absolutely must (when their FTL travel is insufficient for the size of their Empire to run it efficiently, for example).

You don't have to be physiologically sensitive to magnetic waves to be able to harness their effects to your benefit. I don't think I can stress enough that while Tau as a race have little to no presence on the warp, there is at least one warp-inclined race in Tau Empire, if not several (don't some Kroot Shamens show Warp-sensitivity?).

Though I think the Tau Empire's technological level tends to be greatly exaggerated, at least during this current timeline, they do have a greater understanding of the Hows and Whys of the science behind the technologies they use and produce, which means when the Tau Empire finds itself spread too thin and requiring greater methods of travel, they're likely going to reexamine the Warp and its uses in Teleportation, likely refining it to match or exceed the capabilities of the Imperium and Eldar empire. I think the Tau Empire, when the Greater Good necessitates it, will get its hands dirty in Warp-based technology. I wouldn't even be surprised if they managed to make it safer to use, albeit not comfortably so.

Unholy Harbringer comes with a decent point, however. Necrons have shown that teleportation is possible to use without Warp interference at all, or if they do use it (can anyone explicitly confirm or deny?), that the Warp can be utilized without the sorts of dangers it usually poses to almost every other race that uses it for travel. While Necrons are the undeniable superiors to the Tau in terms of technological knowledge, they do provide a pretty clear "This is physically possible" message to the Earth Caste, which simply HAS to lead to a metric ton of research into that area in order to make it possible - teleportation technology of that magnitude and control is too good to pass up.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 23:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

@ Unusualsuspect:
The tau have studied the warp and deemed it to dangerous to work with. An ethereal call FYI. It was part of the Medusa Campaign. To harness and use warp tech you must have psychics, which the tau don't boast within their own race. the warp and magnetic fields are not the same thing... unless their are magnetic demons that pop out every so often to cause havoc for fun.

As for being beyond them, the tau had no concept of the warp untill they discovered a alien space craft with a warp-drive. After many trials and errors, they discovered they couldn't use the drive as is, but could travel faster then light by warp diving, which causes them to not actually ever enter the warp. Sure there are races within the empire now that could try and guide a warp-drive ship, but why when you can safely warp dive? Also, the Tau FTLT is aproaching speeds almost comprable to the imperium already, without any of the dangers of warp travel. Now developing non-warp tech is probably the route they will take and make breakthroughs no other race dreamed of.

As for exagerated technology level, I would say that you greatly underestimate the technology of the Tau. Compared to the imperium they have significantly more advanced civic technology and slowly but surely military technology. With the exception of warp-tech it could be argued that thier space tech is also more advanced. Now this could be also applied to the other younger races, but don't forget the older races (eldar/necrons) should be seen in the light of a ~3000 year old race is holding its own against them, by the sheer might of their tech. Now granted if the entire power of any one empire was to focus on the Tau, they would be overwhelmed by sheer numbers/resources, but not tech IMO.

The ncrons prove that non-warp teleporting may be possible (assuming it is warp-tech free). But that is very advanced stuff, so I don't see the earth cast developing it any time soon. Unless ofcourse they found an abandoned monolith they could examine... >

P.S. I would find incredibly amusing if the ethereals were the ancient ones in disguise and were helping the tau develop non-warp tech, since their last psychically inclined creation went all feral (i.e. Orks).

Old 14 Apr 2009, 23:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Wouldn't the biggest problem with using a warp based drive be navigation? Sure they can hit the button to turn it on, but without a warp sensitive individual they wouldn't know where they were going. Short range teleportation does not need much in the way of navigation and would be more practical. I could see the Tau creating a system to do many short range jumps quickly so that every time the renter real space their sensor recalibrate their position before jumping again.
Ironclaws is offline   Reply With Quote