Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Flamer effectiveness?
Old 13 Apr 2009, 01:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default Flamer effectiveness?

okay after reading on the latest "farsight" board I was wondering how good are TL flamers exactly, I play mostly marines but I go head to head with some eldar and orks as well, and if they can put the hurt on marines I would love utilize them. I know the statistics are about the same for plasma rifles in RF range but my question is this: In REAL games, how have you fared with flamers and TL flamers against marines (or comprable 3+ saves)?
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2009, 01:44   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Flamer effectiveness?

nothing's in a vacuum. flamers will fair well against bunched up enemies no matter what and not so well against spread out enemies. it's more often how you use the gear, not what gear you take. but on paper, weapon wise only, flamers are great. the problem is that quite often you're in assault range, and to get the full effect you ARE in assault range, even after jetpack jumps. at the opposite spectrum, missile pods wound marines on 2's, burst cannons on 3's airbust frag on 4's, and cyclic ion blaster on 5's. all of these have longer range. it's really all about usage over effect. for isntance, putting TL flamers in front of a kroot line, shooting, then jumping back while your kroot assault under is a completely viable option and keeps your suits protected. but then again, kroot are at their best in cover, giving them a save (3+ in forests woot). so it just depends.
HighHubris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2009, 01:56   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

if you are fighting against a marshmallow or chocolate army, they are a must, otherwise i couldn't tell you but yeah
Old 13 Apr 2009, 03:11   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I have attempted many times to use them, but alas, I have deemed them "suicidal" at best. I usually run 9-12 XV8s, the best setup I have found to use it is a teamleader with AFP+TL Flamer, multitracker and target lock, with 1 teammate packing a TL Fusion blaster. Deepstrike them in behind enemy lines. Best case scenario you double template a scout squad hiding in cover with 2 cover ignoring weapons, while the fusion guy disintegrates the backside of an expensive vehicle. They can easily earn their points back doing this if all goes well, but even in the best situations they tend to die the next turn.
Maijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2009, 06:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I use a Heatwave much like I use my gun drone teams, as a situational unit that may be vital on a rare occasion. They are amazing at clearing an objective of in-cover-light-infantry. Against, MEQs, they are okay, but your points could be better spent.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2009, 12:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

TL Flamers on suits are now pretty much one of my favourite builds, they give you incredibly cheap Crisis Suits able to inflict a whole world of pain on there opponents.

My best result would probablly be the two basic suits with TL Flamers and BS filters (Cheapest Hardpoint slot) who Deepstriked in beside Space Marine Capt Shrike and a 10 Man Assualt Squad. I Killed 8 Assualt Marines and Wounded Shrike......with a unit that cost me 68Pts. Yes, they died next turn - but they still did one hell of alot of damage and probablly won me the battle by taking out my opponents most fearsome unit and leaving it easy pickings for the rest of my army.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 12:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

Kool I think i'm going to start heading in the quantitiy direction instead of using plasma rifles and a gun that's basically Str 4 AP5 Assault 4-6 or even as high as 8 if your incredibly lucky with what is essentially BS 1000000 all for CHEAP. Yeah I think i'm going to start phasing out my PR's ... to an extent, Still need em for termies. Not so much for lone characters because a single rail shot can take care of most of them (as long as none have eternal warrior)
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2009, 15:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah, versus MEQ's they are 'quite' effective IF you manage to get a decent amount of kills.

They are risky, and if you don't get many kills your suits will be in a whole world of hurt in the next turn.

And against horde... well, they are probably one of the best suit configs you can get.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 16:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Flamer, Fusion blaster and Multi-tracker works wonders against all opponents. If you TL the flamer (such as an HQ) it gets even better. But like it has been mentioned before, the close range of the suites overall is dangerous.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2009, 20:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Flamer, Fusion blaster and Multi-tracker works wonders against all opponents. If you TL the flamer (such as an HQ) it gets even better. But like it has been mentioned before, the close range of the suites overall is dangerous.
Really? I mean, theirs not really a point to the multi tracker, as anything you use a fusion blaster on will be unaffected by the flamer and vice-versa. I can see this setup being useful is you substituted the fusion blaster for, say, a burst cannon.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote