Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Farsight and the seven demons
Old 12 Apr 2009, 23:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Farsight and the seven demons

Ok this was my idea for a tau "close Combat Unit" basically:

Farsight
7 Bodyguard (twin linked flamer, blacksun filter)

Total: 478

I know it sounds expensive BUT barring vehicles, this should be able to wipe out any combat squad in a single turn, no matter what it is. You flame, then assault whatever leftovers there might just happen to be (not many). You could even give them drone controllers instead and give some ablative wounds to the unit to prevent it from being crippled next turn and give them another flame, assault turn.
Gendoikari87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2009, 23:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher
Default Re: Farsight and the seven demons

Actually it is called 7 samurai and has been for a while. This may not work against terminators. I also do not see it working against carnifexii. This will have problems against nurgle bikers or other things with high toughness. however there is one bane a wraithlord. Also your army will be outnumbered. I am not sure you could even fit that behind cover. I would also love to see this squad meet fire dragons then the battlesuits would die easily.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 23:46   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

BS filter is pretty much useless if you are just gonna be ramming into them, i suggest either Multitracker, Drone controller, or even Shield generator. Also, I would suggest equipping one of the bodyguards with a failsafe detonator, and definitly throw in a cyclic ion blaster (but not on the walking bomb), and maybe Air fragger and/or iridium armour at that. Additionally, mix in some Burst cannons
Old 12 Apr 2009, 23:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Not irridum armor it will make them get into flaming range slower. Besides its not worth it on a two wound battlesuit. This would fail against powerfist or thunderhammer terminators as well. The blacksun filter is to keep the cost of the unit down as it is the cheapest hard point. I may suggest adding burst cannons to allow them to fire when at longer ranges for 5 points more per model. Then they get attacks on the way in on turn one.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 00:29   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

pretty much the way this is done is twin linked flamers or flamer/burstcannons.
if twin linked flamers you take the cheapest support system (pretty sure it's blacksun filter, either that or it's tied for anything else at 5 points) thing is, you don't need a multi tracker as you only have one weapon unit.
if you take flamer/burstcannon (a far more viable option in my mind andonly... 42? points more expensive to increase your kill range and your weapon strength) then you should take multi trackers.

either way if you plan to use the flamers it's a fairly good idea to put in a failsafe detonator as it can be used to prevent sweeping advances and whatnot (not to mention possibly kill the assaulting squad).
other options are gun drones to increase shooting, more attacks in close combat, and wound sinks. shield generators to give power weapon squads hell, shield drones to do the same, etc etc.

it's an interesting topic, but overall i think that just not taking "close-combat" crisis suits is a far more productive use of a $15USD miniature... or is it $20USD?
HighHubris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2009, 01:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

flaming range? you just deepstrike the whole unit, and farsight himself will make short work of some terminators, and the fire dragons would... well just dissapear in one turn.
Gendoikari87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2009, 01:36   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendoikari87
flaming range? you just deepstrike the whole unit, and farsight himself will make short work of some terminators, and the fire dragons would... well just dissapear in one turn.
the problem here is possible deep strike scatter completely ruining your 9'' template range, terminators being in land raiders, and fire dragons being in wave serpents. so pretty much what you have to hope for is taking care of those transports before your unit deepstrikes, and not scattering on the deepstrike (or twice if you have a pathfinder DF). just seems like a bit too many bad possibilities right off the bat to me. not taking on oft-transported units? yeah that's fine. just good luck on that scatter.
HighHubris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2009, 01:46   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

What I would do is give some a BC, and give them the multitracker, give the rest shield gen(for the power fisting), And i do wish to press the cyclic Ion and even the Airfrag, maybe on the same unit, to soften them up if you arent immediately in flamer range. I would advice against using these as kamikaze and spend more points, which will lead you to be able to leave a bigger hole, and even take out several squads, and the Failsafe is a must.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 03:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You would definately want to make each of the 7 samurai distinct from each other for would allocation purposes.

I personally would go plasma + fusion for some serious hurt.
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2009, 04:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

3-4 are ok, make the rest specialized.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote