Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

near complete stealth army?
Old 12 Apr 2009, 16:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default near complete stealth army?

Hey yall, im new to tau online (this being my 1st post) and i've started playing 40k about 1 month ago. a local game store has a tourny, its 1500 points. now after reading all the rules and getting a somewhat good jist of whats what. the question is the subject of the thread here... and... would it work?

the basics behind it (in my mind atleast), would be running Commander Shadowsun, 3 teams of stealth suits, and as Heavy options, using Sniper Drone teams. (3 drone teams = 1 heavy right?, using 2x heavy slots equals 6 teams, allowing for 18 sniper shots + pinning tests) and the last heavy option id use is 3x broadsides for 1 unit. seeing as you'd *need* some kind of anti tank guns.

so long story short ill list my idea for an army, please add your opinions, id like to think it would work (mostly pin testing the HELL out of people, making them useless essentially)

Shadowsun x 1

Stealthsuit teams x 3

firewarrior squad x 12

firewarrior squad x 12

Broadsides x 3

Sniper drones x 6 (3 teams per heavy option)

*Not looking at the book, or including upgrades, devilfish etc..., it comes to under 1500 beleive.*

any ideas? the thoughts behind it are using pin-tests to subdue approaching enemies, and blast them while theyre put to ground. While the stealth fields preventing the enemy from shooting back because of night fight rules.

Thanks! and sorry its so long. but im a new commer to the greater good and all its awesomeness, so thanks for anything yall can say or advise upon.
skippy35671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2009, 16:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: near complete stealth army?

Well in the codex it says you may only use the 3 to a slot sniper choice once. So you can only take 3. I don't think there is enough scoring units to make this a competitive list.

To be totally honest I think this whole stealth idea is going to crash and burn do to the lack of tanks, crisis suits and scoring units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Things I miss: Sane Anubis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin Archer
"So, what you're saying is that you need someone dumber . . . You may have come to the right place." -Col. Jack O'Neil
DemiGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2009, 17:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

the onyl scoring units would be the fire warriors right? or could i move stealth suits into place? im not TOO familiar with killpoints, or objective taking, my games have mostly been annihalation and such. (only played 5 games, but ive watched god only knows how many and have seen how quite afew armies operate)
skippy35671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2009, 17:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Troop choices are the only scoring units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Things I miss: Sane Anubis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin Archer
"So, what you're saying is that you need someone dumber . . . You may have come to the right place." -Col. Jack O'Neil
DemiGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2009, 18:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Also, Sniper Drone Teams are a 0-1 choice, so you can only take up to 3 units.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2009, 18:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy35671
*Not looking at the book, or including upgrades, devilfish etc..., it comes to under 1500 beleive.*
Nit-picking: can't take Shadowsun unless you're at 1.5K minimum, ao make sure your final list is at least 1500 points

Quote:
any ideas? the thoughts behind it are using pin-tests to subdue approaching enemies, and blast them while theyre put to ground. While the stealth fields preventing the enemy from shooting back because of night fight rules.
Sorry to rain on you're parade, but both of those key elements of you're strategy don't help that much IMO. Pretty much everyone and their grandma can pass pinning tests regularly in 5th ('cept Tau of course) :P

Quote:
Thanks! and sorry its so long. but im a new commer to the greater good and all its awesomeness, so thanks for anything yall can say or advise upon.
Note:
If you're new and trying to build a competitive army list of any kind; the Tau Army Lists etc. Board is where you should be. Look around at other peoples' lists and post your own. ^-^

That all said I think you'd get steamrolled by a Deathwing army due to your lack of low AP weapons. You'd probably do okay against MEqs and Hordes (I've always thought 3 Stealth Teams would be good against Orks) 'cause of the XV-15/25's and Sniper Drones. Your lack of experience is your Achilles' Heel in a tournament setting. I'd try for some practice games in a friendly setting (just make it clear to your opponent that you're practising with your tournament list) so older opponents can give you tips post game (or even in game *gasp* )
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2009, 21:54   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Mk, I've yet to see anywhere saying that Sniper drones are a 0-1 choice. I see the 3 teams = 1 Heavy support and only one of those choices being taken, which would mean that you could take 2 more teams to fill your other 2 Heavy supports, totalling 5 teams. I've searched for the FAQ and Errata clarifying this but came up with nothing, can someone point it out to me please?
HighHubris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2009, 01:47   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

In your codex, next to each unit is a number, typically 0-n (n being specific per unit). 1+ for firewarriors means you must take one squad but it may be anywhere from 6-12 units. 0-1 means you may only fill one slot but you can take 3 teams for that slot. 0 just means you can choose not to take that unit.

I was confused at first too!
Bavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2009, 03:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighHubris
Mk, I've yet to see anywhere saying that Sniper drones are a 0-1 choice. I see the 3 teams = 1 Heavy support and only one of those choices being taken, which would mean that you could take 2 more teams to fill your other 2 Heavy supports, totalling 5 teams. I've searched for the FAQ and Errata clarifying this but came up with nothing, can someone point it out to me please?
Yeah, it confusing, but stated at the end of the paragraph under the word "Team:". It effectively makes it 0-1. Like you said, 3 teams comprise a heavy support choice, and only one such choice can be taken, meaning you can only make one heavy support choice comprise of sniper drone teams.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2009, 06:02   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavius
In your codex, next to each unit is a number, typically 0-n (n being specific per unit). 1+ for firewarriors means you must take one squad but it may be anywhere from 6-12 units. 0-1 means you may only fill one slot but you can take 3 teams for that slot. 0 just means you can choose not to take that unit.

I was confused at first too!
Codex: Tau
Heavy Support
Sniper Drone Teams [TAU: OR'MON'KOR] (note... there is no 0-1 limitation)
You're right, if there was a 0-1 limitation it'd show there, but it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherback
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighHubris
Yeah, it confusing, but stated at the end of the paragraph under the word "Team:". It effectively makes it 0-1. Like you said, 3 teams comprise a heavy support choice, and only one such choice can be taken, meaning you can only make one heavy support choice comprise of sniper drone teams.
The way it reads would end up like this...
Heavy Support Slot #1
Sniper drone team, sniper drone team, sniper drone team
Heavy Support Slot #2
Sniper drone team
Heavy Support Slot #3
Sniper drone team

Unless there is an errata somewhere that I haven't found (as i'm not completely up to date) this is not a 0-1 unit. It's saying that 3 sniper drone teams = 1 heavy support slot. an further sniper drone teams count as one Heavy support slot per team, totalling 5. I can read my book, what i am asking about is whether there was a following printing where they changed this or whether there was an errata changing them to a 0-1 slot.

I see alot of people saying you can only have 3 teams in an entire army, but that's simply not how the codex reads. tyranid zoanthropes follow the same "template" for unit selection rules, but if i remember right they ARE 0-1. what i'm catching from SDT text is that after the first HS slot is filled with 3 sniper drone teams, each sniper drone team fills a HS slot by itself.

essentially what i'm asking for her is a link the the errata saying they're 0-1 so that i can pegdown all of the tau faq/errata
HighHubris is offline   Reply With Quote