Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot-centric
Old 12 Apr 2009, 06:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nathan
Default Kroot-centric

This has been working quite well for me since 5th edition so I thought I'd share it.

This tactic is modified around the idea of the kroot pillbox, so I'll explain what that is first. Usually 70pt barebone kroot are deployed a little ahead of your lines in cover to pepper incoming infantry with kroot rifle shots until they are assaulted as a road bump, potentially giving you another turn of shooting.

What I have been doing recently that has been working really well has been to place my army AROUND a squad or two of kroot in cover. My first motivation for doing this was that it was the only suitable cover to deploy in, but it evolved into quite a solid strategy. What this does is forces a choice upon incoming enemies, do they continue on to your o so close army, or assault the kroot in cover? 9 time out of 10 I have seen people completely ignore the kroot ALL GAME because my other units are so close, sometimes within charging distance. Everyone underestimates the casualties that kroot rifles can rack up over the course of a game.

The advantages to having the kroot in the middle of your army, rather that placed in front of it is that this tactic works against enemies from all sides. The need for this over the standard pillbox placement of kroot showed itself to me as I was exposed more and more to outflanking enemies. Another benefit of being in the midst of everything is that they are in prime position to counter-charge if really needed, although I would recommend keeping them in their cover in most situations.

I am quite the unmotivated painter, so I only ever paint squads after they have performed exceptionally well and with this tactic, these kroot have certainly earned it.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2009, 10:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Kroot-centric

Interesting idea, I never like planning to sacrifice a unit, it seems somewhat mean, especially as i'm the opposite to you, I spend ages painting my models.

In terms of deploying the kroot in the centre, I tend to deploy kroot based on where they can find cover, and use them to counter-assault any units that get near.

Do you not find many of the kroot who are towards the back are wasted, lacking in targets? I guess since personally I tend to play orks, who don't usually outflank, but I can see the tactic would be worth a go against marines or something.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 14:39   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

good day.

not a bad way to spend a few points.
i would have expected them to come under heavy blast weapon fire.
i think your right to keep them in cover, with no armour save at all, assault isn't a good idea.

what happens when you need to take an objective in the enemy lines ? do they simply give supporting fire ?

my normal kroot unit is : shaper with pulse weapon, 10 kroot with 6/8 hounds. all with the 6+ save. aprox 169 pts.
a little pricey, but it has flanked the best of the enemy to claim an objective, scared chaos units off a flank altogether, worried many an ork, and stalled an entite 30 man guard platoon in previous games.

like yourself the presence of trees dictates exactly how they are used.

if you haven't put the hounds initiative 5 to use, give it a try.

i suppose there is not an easier way to get a bit of supporting fire cheap. if that's all you want from them.
nice idea
zymosis ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2009, 15:00   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

can you use the hounds as sentries? or is it strictly regular kroot?
Old 12 Apr 2009, 21:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonagon
Do you not find many of the kroot who are towards the back are wasted, lacking in targets? I guess since personally I tend to play orks, who don't usually outflank, but I can see the tactic would be worth a go against marines or something.
I try not to place them in the back, as this removes one of their firing arcs. Normal deployment for them is the middle of my force close-ish to the front of my normal deployment zone(not infiltrating reach). The orcs I play generally tend to play dakka lists and out-shoot me :/ I guess I should say that this really doesn't work well against armies that have no units that are advancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zymosis ink
not a bad way to spend a few points.
i would have expected them to come under heavy blast weapon fire.
i think your right to keep them in cover, with no armour save at all, assault isn't a good idea.

what happens when you need to take an objective in the enemy lines ? do they simply give supporting fire ?
They do come under some blast fire, but honestly I'm happy when that happens. I'm glad the enemy is using their blast or pie plates to shoot my 7pt models with 4+(3+ in woods) cover save rather that on my firewarriors or suits.

From my experience, if there is an objective across enemy lines, there is one on your side too. Kroot do a great job of holding objectives in my opinion. They may die, but they'll take a lot of the contesting squad out with them, allowing one of your suits or the like to finish them off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zymosis ink
my normal kroot unit is : shaper with pulse weapon, 10 kroot with 6/8 hounds. all with the 6+ save. aprox 169 pts.
a little pricey, but it has flanked the best of the enemy to claim an objective, scared chaos units off a flank altogether, worried many an ork, and stalled an entite 30 man guard platoon in previous games.

if you haven't put the hounds initiative 5 to use, give it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj. Tom
can you use the hounds as sentries? or is it strictly regular kroot?
I don't find any of the kroot options to be worth their points.
-I don't up their numbers because their leadership is bad so you're prone to loosing the whole squad.
-The shaper just doesn't make sense to me, costs as much as 3 kroot but only has 1 gun and less attacks. The extra leadership is nice but I'd rather minimize my risk my making the squads dirt cheap.
-The armor upgrade is useless to any gun, and in combat your points are better spent on more kroot, more wounds, and more attacks. 1/6 chance to save = 6pts for every save you make, a whole kroot is 7pts.
-Kroot hounds are the only one I see as potentially useful in the outflanking roll that zymosis uses them in. Otherwise they have no gun, and if you are assaulted in cover chances are that you are attacking first or at least at the same time as your assaulter so the extra initiative doesn't come into play much.
-pulse weapons remove a close combat attack. And the guns are only marginally better than the kroot guns.

I would try out turning your 169pt squad into a 10 kroot squad and a 10 kroot, 5 hound squad for 170pt. See what the extra bodies and scoring unit does for ya.

With some thought into this I've been convinced to try out an outflanking squad with kroot hounds. ;D
Old 12 Apr 2009, 22:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
I would try out turning your 169pt squad into a 10 kroot squad and a 10 kroot, 5 hound squad for 170pt. See what the extra bodies and scoring unit does for ya.
The problem with this is that Kroot hounds are ridiculously expensive.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2009, 23:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherback
Quote:
The problem with this is that Kroot hounds are ridiculously expensive.
Is it maybe krootoxen (pluralization? hahaha) that you are thinking of? Kroot hounds are 1pt cheaper than Kroot.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 08:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think he means financially.

Gaming wise they're defintly worth their cost IMO.