Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

just read the Guard book
Closed Thread
Old 11 Apr 2009, 14:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default just read the Guard book

... the pooch is screwed.

Now- Some of you might be thinking that those shiny pulse rifles are just what the doctored ordered for, well, every situation- let it be known that that is no longer the case. To put it bluntly I'm going to quote the new book. ahem:

"The mighty bolter may be able to down a single enemy, but a million las guns can halt an army"

Well you know what? In between the new St. 10 and St. 9 weapons (plus the subtle introduction to the pie plate Apoc marker into 40k games or the furious charging conscripts running at you that, if valhallan, are never ending, you won't need a million lasguns.

In short- I'm impressed with the new guard book, the infantry options are both fluffy and make sense- but dang- are we gonna have a rough time of it. You can't sit still anymore otherwise the master of ordinance is gonna blast you off the table with his unlimited seeker missi- i mean DOOM barrage that kind find you anywhere... If this is the direction codexes are going, that means 40k games are just gonna be fast and brutal- i don't mind this of course, but that means they gotta hurry and revamp everybody soon.

On a fluff note: (Doombringer-wherever you are) It appears there are three new editions to our own Tau race. The first is is that the Damocles Gulf Crusade took place in 987.M41 and ended in 998.M41. Nimbosa is still an active warzone with "Reinforcements required" and the first Ethereal to be ever taken out was by a ratling named Magog on Dal'yth... filthy hobbitses...

Additionally, inspired by my need for canonical fluff, I looked up the Space Marine codex and by their timeline- it would appear that there were earlier engagements between them (back when the empire was fledgling) which means the Damocles Crusade was not the first technical engagement, just the largest one. Just an interesting thought for anyone out there caring about fluff as much as my grubby mits.

Old 11 Apr 2009, 16:13   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: just read the Guard book

Something else to cower before:

Leman Russ Eradicator: Str 6, AP 4, Large Blast, ignores Cover. Tau are dead if that thing fires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 11 Apr 2009, 16:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

our large blast doesn't ignore cover... that thing's a dead model every 2+ for all but battlesuits...

Is the Plasma russ as nasty as the rumors said; ie heavy 3 blast plasma cannon (bane of suits everywhere)?
Old 11 Apr 2009, 17:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Something else to cower before:

Leman Russ Eradicator: Str 6, AP 4, Large Blast, ignores Cover. Tau are dead if that thing fires.
I thought we couldn't post weapon or model's stats?
Old 11 Apr 2009, 17:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Indeed you are Right.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Old 11 Apr 2009, 17:16   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yeah, after analyzing the diverse elements of the IG codex, I've argued with a friend that the only viable list Tau can make vs IG is a Ninja Tau. That list has very bad press here (even Tau players don't like it) due to the "what's the point, you might as well not show up to the game and we'll flip a coin" argument. Any standard mech (or worst static!) list will get promptly decimated...

He says it's just pre-realease panic, as with any codex, and might be right. I still prefer to face the new Orks codex. At least, we can outshoot them!

Phil
Old 11 Apr 2009, 17:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
plus the subtle introduction to the pie plate Apoc marker into 40k games
What?
Old 11 Apr 2009, 18:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

To be honest I think the whole idea of the Tau army is flawed. They need a complete overhaul. The whole point is that they are a long range army with no need for CC because they can engage at such great distances. However I find quite often when I play Tau that they simply cannot outshoot me, and to top it off I still have some CC units I can throw at them to ruin their day.

This is only made worse by the new IG codex. Not only do you get 10 free points per squad now, but heavy weapons are ridiculously cheap and the army can hold more HW support squads than ever before. On top of that my CC squads are even better at CC now.

I think the Tau need a substantial range upgrade, as well as more tricks to keep the enemy at range. I really like the playstyle of Tau and their fluff. It's nice to see other human-like sentient species in the galaxy to show that the Imperium isn't the only civilized race in existance.

Old 11 Apr 2009, 18:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
To be honest I think the whole idea of the Tau army is flawed.
It's not the idea, just how GW wanted to implement it. I think all tau really need is better BS all around (C'mon a SM has better accuracy and WS) and the weapons need to pack a bigger punch.

On the topic of the IG, I'm not going to worry too much about their new and improved awesome factor, I'm sure GW will give all the armies their turn for being really cheesy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Things I miss: Sane Anubis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin Archer
"So, what you're saying is that you need someone dumber . . . You may have come to the right place." -Col. Jack O'Neil
Old 11 Apr 2009, 18:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
To be honest I think the whole idea of the Tau army is flawed.
It's not the idea, just how GW wanted to implement it. I think all tau really need is better BS all around (C'mon a SM has better accuracy and WS) and the weapons need to pack a bigger punch.

On the topic of the IG, I'm not going to worry too much about their new and improved awesome factor, I'm sure GW will give all the armies their turn for being really cheesy.
SM have better BS because they are better marksmen than Tau.

Tau need new tricks, not to beat a dead horse, but they were designed in such a way that the user had to outshoot his foe. They can do nothing in the Assault Phase, and that is where the problem lies.

http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk1
Closed Thread